The st. joe at the end of September

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

My birthday is at the end of the month and I am planing a trip to the joe for it. I was wanting ti know from ppl who have been up there what it is like that time of year. I.E. water conditions, what they are feeding on, how packed will it be, those kinds of things. Also is there any where to stay if I decide to make it a over nighter?

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Eric, I usually go that time of year and it is really nice. The crowds are long gone, campgrounds are mostly empty, water is low and wading easy, fish are hungry, days are warm with chilly nights and it usually seems like the world is just perfect. I could stand about 3 months of late Sept-early October and skip Nov and Dec altogether.

Stop at the fly shop in Avery and get the latest skinny on what is hatching, it will almost certainly be some Oct caddis and some BWO emergers. Think tiny stuff right in the surface film at dark. Definately stay overnight, you can't do the river justice in just a few hours.

I think there might be some kind of Bed and Breakfast in Avery if you are not up to camping but I always like to camp on the river and fish until it is too dark to see what the hell I'm doing.

When are we going?

Ive

Eric Denny likes this.
  3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Great choice for late season solitude and small water fun. I spent 4 nights there last October (end of first week if memory serves me) and it was really nice. I threw #16 purple haze parachutes at them the whole time (refused to dredge) and did fine.

Patrick Gould and Eric Denny like this.
  4. Eric Denny

Ive it looks like the 21 and 22. I have decided I am going to stay two nights. I don't know if we are going to camp or stay the night at the b & b. My wife is coming and she fly fishes some but have a little one on the way so I don't know if she is going to be up for camping though to her credit she has done pretty good this summer but she will be 7months when I go. We called the b & b and there one person cabin is full that weekend but there two room one is open. So we are leaning towards that.

You said you go around that time of year have you done pretty good? And are you heading up there this year, if so when?

5. Eric Denny

I have had a lot of luck with the purple haze and royal wulff this year I'm sure it will get tied on at some point, hope it does good enough I don't have to take it off. And I like you will be wanting to do it on top of the water if I wanted to nymph I would fish the spokane and sleep in my own bet. But I might tie on a dropper.;-)

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

My dance card is punched for the 21-22 timeframe so no chance of meeting up with you. I usually do well that time of year although just standing in running water seems to be reward enough. Catching brightly colored cutts is just gravy.

Some small ant patterns should be included on your trip. And be sure to fish till dark. Often my biggest fish come in the last 1/2 hour of fishing. Find a long smooth glide that holds fish and just work it until you get it right. The number of fish surfacing in such spots can be just amazing and if you get dialed it the fishing is just amazing.

Have a blast!

Ive

Eric Denny likes this.
  7. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I will be working my way back from Montana the last week of September and the St. Joe is on my short list. I'll be camping with the pooch. Maybe the 26-28th but only if the weather is dry. Tent camping with a dog in the rain takes all the fun out of it for me. If anybody wants to connect let me know. I'll have bourbon. :^)

Alex MacDonald and Eric Denny like this.
  8. Eric Denny

Wish it was a week sooner I'd be more then happy to meet up.

9. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

We might be headed up the weekend before that, but if things change and we head up that weekend I'll look you up. I may not be fishing too much with 2 1/2 year old twins in tote, but I'll be fishing a bit. Make sure you stop in at the fly shop, grab a huckleberry ice cream, maybe a couple flys and tons of information from the guy. The joe in the fall, think small.

Eric Denny likes this.
  10. Eric Denny

Ok I have been told about the fly shop from a couple of you whats the name of it and where is it in st maries or avery?

11. Eric Denny

I understand I will have my 7 month pregnant wife with me.

12. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

Avery across from Sheffies General Store. Can't miss it.

13. Eric Denny

Will definitely go in there.

14. Eric Denny

Yeah I plan on staying in avery at the little cabins there has anyone stayed there before?

15. Eric Denny

So any more tips?

16. John Weston

John Weston Member

yep, go catch some fish and have some fun. you will like the joe.
    Outlaw:)

Eric Denny likes this.
  17. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Before the world of Steelhead consumed me September was the month I spent the most time on the Joe! Have a blast and feel blessed your wife would come. Mine would laugh at that suggestion... Then ask if we could go to the CDA resort or the Davenport :)

18. Eric Denny

I do feel blessed but its not all smiles. I get this because its my birthday which means we do what she wants on hers, so i will be paying a lot more for her birthday then mine and some how I end up paying for both.lol

19. CaddisSunset

CaddisSunset Member

Size 16 or 18 brown emerger pattern..... Don't know why but that's all that would work one fine late September day a couple years ago.

Eric Denny likes this.
  20. TDub

TDub Member

I've had great luck fishing with tan on tan chernobyl. Fun to fish big flies like that and if not much is happening drop a green copper john off of it and that should get them.