The steelhead river so nice...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Nooksack Mac, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

...that they named it twice: the Chilliwack/Vedder in s.w. B.C. For us steelhead wretches agonizing in the Puget Sounds of Silence, be of good cheer: the Vedder is open, and March and April are the height of the winter(?) steelhead run.

I fished the Vedder today. From my home in Bellingham, it was 38 miles - half the distance to the most upstream of my favorite runs on the Skagit. The water was dropping, with about two feet of visibility. No, I didn't catch one, but I had a pluck. There were other anglers in sight, but not crowding each other. (I won't fish it on weekends, when you have to turn sideways to fit between the pin reelers.)

Downside: time in line at the border crossings. About 20 minutes in Sumas in late morning, over an hour in the evening heading home. Fill your gas tank and take a good book.

bhudda likes this.
  2. redfred

redfred redfred

question, is this river best suited for swinging or ?

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Downstream from Vedder Crossing (which I think is where the names change) for about five miles, the river has a number of wide channels between sandbars, naturals for swinging. But also there are small side channels with little pools and eddies, prime for bobber-watching. The Vedder is a good size for wade fishing, perhaps 1 1/2 or two times the size of the North Stilly. I haven't seen anyone floating the river, in any craft, although it probably happens.

4. redfred

redfred redfred

thanks for the reply. may try in the tamahi or willows area this weekend or next week. thanks