NFR The Tokin' Fly Guy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bloodmeridian, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bloodmeridian

bloodmeridian New Member

It isn't by design that this first post may ruffle some feathers (see link to the previous post on this subject below), but Blood Knot Magazine is looking for some short opinion pieces to be considered for the upcoming "Green Issue" that promote the experience of smoking weed on the water with fly rod in hand, or scold those that regularly do so. Before posting this on WFF, many other forums were searched and considered, but the Washington Fly Fishing Forum brought its A-game for the most lively discussion thread on the matter. If interested in writing one of these short opinion pieces, all we ask is that submissions be no longer than 800 words and either focus on one viewpoint or the other. Submissions should be received no later than April 17th, and emailed to Contribute@bloodknot.net. For further information, please send all questions or concerns to Contribute@bloodknot.net.

And as always, thank you for your consideration! Blood Knot's grateful for your support and appreciates all of your feedback and unique perspectives. Cheers!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/does-everybody-smoke-pot.55207/page-4

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

buying weed supports dangerous and violent criminals who abuse our national forests. it is not a lesser or more innocent drug and a detriment to society. Keep your pot off our rivers.. If you need to change your brain chemistry to enjoy life you are missing something.

3. pastorbrian

pastorbrian Member

go away.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    So no sugar or caffiene? That's kind of a buzzkill, man...

Weed being illegal supports dangerous and violent criminals who abuse our national forests. Weed being illegal supports a war with guns that has real casualties on both sides. But hey...I'ma just sit here, drink my rock star and keep up the hate.

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I'm heading back to the 'Sports' thread...

6. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Legalize it and you wouldn't have this market that pushes thugs onto the land to grow it in the first place. Weeds not the problem it's the black market.

enlightened and jeff bandy like this.
  7. Breck

Breck Active Member

Pretty judgmental. Do you drink alcohol? Caffeine? Sugar? It's pretty simple, guy. Nobody's holding a gun to your head. If you don't like it, don't smoke it. If you see someone on the river smoking it, how 'bout minding your own business. There is no harm being done to you, after all.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I'm also of the opinion that it's our mis-guided drug laws, that foster the illegal drug trade, that fosters the drug wars. Legalize the stuff, and every pot-tokin' hippie can grow BC bud in his backyard garden. Best way to put drug lords and the DEA out of business.

As for Bloodknot magazine, this is the first I ever heard of it. I've known a few fishermen who toke while fishing, and few fishermen who drink while fishing - knew a guy on the NF Stilly who was sorta' famous at the time for the pockets in his fishing vest that held the Oly tall cans. Also known a bunch of fishermen who smoke cigarettes while fishing, that's probably the most objectionable to be near. Or cigars. Much prefer to be around someone tokin' a joint. Except no one rolls joints any more.

Sg

9. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

I checked out Bloodknot... I like it. I'm w/ Breck, Salmo_g, and others. Bloodmeridian's post was intended to make forum members aware of aN opportunity to submit their writings. It was, in fact, done in a very sensitive way so as not to offend the sensibitities of those who might have a different appreciation for the role weed plays in both the narrow context of fly fishing and the wider world.

enlightened likes this.
  10. seaalki

seaalki Member

11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I don't think making bad behavior legal is the way to go.. First Alcohol, then Pot, then what heroine so pure that it kills with a single dose like has happened 7 times in the Longview area in the last month. I am sorry but pot derails your mind much different than caffeine or sugar that is comparing apples to oranges. It impairs your skills and your inhibitions.
    People are already showing too little restraint and poor judgment while enjoying the outdoors. If a person needs to be out of their mind to enjoy life then they should go do that in their own home NOT on public property. We have laws against public drunkenness for a reason!! There is no reason to put other people by using pot in public as well. You are already putting them in enough danger by buying an illegal substance grown in our national forests and guarded by automatic weapons by people who intent to kill you if you are out backpacking and stumble across their grove.

You call pointing out the facts being judgmental well I say being on the river and using substances that make you a danger to yourself and others is selfish and stupid.. I am sorry but i have a legal right to be safe from your illegal activity. This is exactly why i wish to disassociate myself from from a lot of fly fishers these days. It seems as though they use the river as their frat house.. Go be stupid in private and quit ruining the experiences of others.
    I am all for legalizing the easing of suffering and the use of medical marijuana by those who need it for physical pain.

If you need pot to deal with life or if pot enhances your life you really badly need to grow up. take life into your own hands, end your enslavement and live...

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I sure am lucky that I have so many people willing to tell me how to live my life. Saves me the hassle of all those pesky decisions.

Christ, ill never understand why people feel the need to cram their beliefs down someone else's throat. Stay out of my life and ill stay out of yours. You don't like what's going on in my boat? Simple, don't get in.

enlightened, willburrrr2003 and Breck like this.
  13. Nick Clayton

Media:
    So you're all in favor of legalizing it for those who need it, but then "if you need pot to deal with life.....you need to grow up." Interesting.

14. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

I no longer partake but I'll support legalization and it's taxation if they use some of the money to get rid of the discover pass.

SteveA and Evan Burck like this.
  15. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I am not telling people how to live their lives as i said people are free to do as they please within the law. The law is clear in this pot is illegal I am opposed to it's legalization yes because it is destructive to society. Again as i already said we have laws concerning public drunkenness why? because when you take it into the public arena it is no longer just your business it is the business of everyone you come into contact with. The same would be true with pot smoking. you cannot drive or operate a boat safely while drunk or stoned and that is why it's illegal. Who is one to be so selfish as to think that endangering other people is ok because its your life and no one should tell you how to live it.. Why is it illegal to drive under the influence?? because in doing so you are telling me that I should live the rest of my life in a wheelchair or to not live it at all. being out of your mind makes you a threat to the public at large there is no way around that.

Now through my years I have known and liked a great number of people who choose to indulge in pot. people who use it are just like any other group of people some I like very much some I do not. Suggesting that I hate people because i believe what they are doing is wrong is a totally wrong argument. Believing something is wrong does not equate to hating the people who do it. Hate has to do with the wishing of ill will and I do that to no one even people who have wronged me and who I do not like.

I am pretty dogged on some arguments and I probably shouldn't be. What you do in your own home I could care less. Bring it out into the public and I care very much.

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Don't be surprised if half the guys on this forum had a toke before Easter Dinner today/tonight.

17. Nick Clayton

Media:
    I understand completely being against driving under the influence of any mind altering substance, but that's not the real topic here.

If you're so against this stuff taking place in the public fishing arenas then why haven't you weighed in on any of the multiple "What Scotch do you prefer while fishing" threads? If Someone bobbing in a boat tokin a j is being irresponsible and putting others in danger then the guy next to him hitting a flask is just as irresponsible. Or are we simply hung up on legality?

triploidjunkie likes this.
  18. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Jeez...can't we all just get along?

19. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    our creator gave it to use to relax .the only reason its illegal is because the rich people realized they could make money off it. if people woke up and stopped crimalizing our creators gifts this world would be a lot better off. I'm tired of people taking advantage of our mother earth. tear the dams down restore what our people have done. Look what happened to Japan they raped the ocean and our mother earth repaid them for it. We as a people should fight agaist all these bad things. Tear the dams down stop cutting our forests down these are the things we should be worrying about. Restore Hetch Hetchy!!!!

20. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Yes of course we can all get along. I get along well with nearly everyone. is there some unwritten law that says you have to not get along with people you disagree with?

Nick Clayton likes this.