NFR The Tokin' Fly Guy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bloodmeridian, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +736 / 0
    For those of you that think pot is harmless,Google Nancy van etten, and see my sister dead under a yellow tarp killed by a guy that tested positive for thc. I got the great experiance of hearing this bastards lawyer state in court " my client smokes dope but under current oregon state law ther is no way to determine how inpared he was at the time of the accident." he walked and never spent a day in jail. yep dope is harmless until somebodys killed!!!!!!
    Alex MacDonald and ribka like this.
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,698 / 2
    Not defending the guy or belittling your sisters death at all. THC stays in the system for weeks. So if someone smoked a joint, then two weeks later that happened, they would say there was THC in their system, though the cause of the accident could be totally unrelated.
  3. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    That's tragic and I'm sorry for your loss. And yes I'm editing this. No one should drive impaired. Whether it's alcohol, marijuana, flexeril, cigars, cel phone, legal opiates, what have you. The man who made the decision to drive fucked up is the one responsible for the death of your sister. It's horrible. He should be in jail. There's no excuse . The only way to change that is to stiffen penalities for DUI and reckless driving, regardless of the cause.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I think the same penalties should be applied for any kind of impaired driver. I think a texting driver is every bit as dangerous as a drunk as shit one.
    Skysoldier, Dan Nelson and Flyborg like this.
  5. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Exactly. If you make the decision to put other peoples lives at risk, you should face an equivalent penalty.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,096 / 1
    Dang I thought this thread was about a guy who was the token fly fisherman on a trip with a bunch of gear guys. I should have figured it out after page one. I tell you what, in college when my buddies wanted to head out and drink, I made a great designated driver (I also faired better with women being all sober), if any of you tokers need a designated fisherman on your run, just let me know.
  7. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    Dude..... What's your cell? I ummm.... what was I saying? Oh yeah. Dude.... we gotta fish that lake I was telling you about. It'll pop off right around the beginning of May. But remember... this is bat country!
  8. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    A thread that keeps on giving.
    Make everything legal and start
    culling the herd.
    Darwin is dead. So is Hunter S.

Dave
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Alright, I've held out long enough, here's my feelings on the topic:

I am no longer a partaker. Haven't been for quite some time. I very much was at one time, my guess influenced by my working in the music industry for a few years. I've been around the stuff and people who use it more than the average person for sure.

I have two college degrees in which I received when I was a heavy user. My GPA's were 3.8 and 3.9 on each of them. Some of the brightest, most successful, kindest, most creative people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting have been users as well. So many of the stereotypes and misconceptions about pot users just simply aren't true. They're true sometimes, but not usually. The fact is, you can find an example of every type of personality out there who enjoys the stuff. From the loser, no motivation couch surfer, to low life thieves and criminals, to MBA's who run successful businesses, even *gasp* church goers and teachers. I've met them all. Even some of the most legendary, well known and respected people of this sport are tokers.

As for supporting the destruction of forests, I can see that to a point. But the only people who buy that kind of stuff are people who typically just don't care and go after the cheap stuff. Most all the intelligent, more upstanding citizen types I know who are users (as well as the herbal connoisseurs) purchase their stuff from friends and relatives who have gardens at their homes. That's where the quality stuff is made.

Anyone who puts others in danger when doing anything, be it drunk driving, stoned driving, texting, putting on makeup, etc. definitely deserves equal punishment. I won't argue that point for a second.

Anyways, so many tempers flaring and feelings being thrown out there, I thought I'd lay it all out there.
  10. lylelovett666 Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I thought this thread was about fishing with wizards and orcs.
    triploidjunkie and ribka like this.
  11. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Hah, I almost made that joke a few days ago. Thought it might go over peoples heads.
  12. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    Duuuude......Where's my driftboat?
  13. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    Marijuana Raises Risk of Fatal Car Crash

French Study Shows Pot Smokers More Likely to Be Responsible for Deadly Accident

WebMD Health News

Dec. 1, 2005 - People who drive after using marijuana are nearly twice as likely to be involved in a fatal car crash.
    French researchers studied all drivers involved in fatal car crashes over a two-year period and found 7% tested positive for marijuana, including nearly 3% who tested positive for a combination of marijuana and alcohol.
    Although marijuana's share of fatal crashes is much lower than those attributed to alcohol, researchers say the results show that marijuana use, even in low doses, significantly increases the risk of fatal car accidents.
    More Pot, More Deaths

In the study, published in the medical journal BMJ, researchers reviewed information on 10,748 drivers who were involved in fatal car crashes and took required tests for drugs and alcohol.
    Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers.
    Researchers say about 2.5% of the fatal crashes were attributable to marijuana compared with nearly 29% attributable to alcohol.
    The study also showed that drivers who tested positive for marijuana were more than three times as likely to be responsible for the fatal car crash. Researchers say the likelihood of being at fault increased as the blood concentration of marijuana increased.
  14. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Here is my worth and may well be worthless. I am retired law enforcement and have dealt with it many years, have seen all too often the results of its affect, and what it can cause short term to long term from personal injury to oneself or to others, I could go on but you get the picture. The same goes for alcohol. This is all part of life and has been for thousands of years on this planet and the only thing that changes is what it is called. I am almost in agreement of legalization of the product as a great source of revenue for the state. Just because it is legal does not mean that I will start up smoking the shit as it is not my thing. I would also not want my bus driver, Dr., or a working partner be high on the stuff when I need them but it is what it is. The only true right that we have is to make our choice. This is a topic of course that one could go on forever but it is time to end. I will say and it is my opinion that the topic does not belong in any type of fishing magazine, I just don't see the value of such a topic in a fly fishing production.
    ribka likes this.
  15. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I know quite a few guys that drink alcohol and/or smoke weed while fishing. I think that it is very relevant to a fishing magazine. I look forward to interesting articles, not just grip and grin pictures.
  16. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    That is an excellent question Boot? Yeah, how much do you guys/gals pay for well written articles? Hmmmmmmmm?
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Nevermind. I'll let that thought just spin inside my head until it runs out of energy.
  18. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    I could quote several studies that show marijuana users are safer drivers, including studies by auto insurance companies. All this proves is that "studies" never have a big enough sample size, which is why every day, we read "scientific" studies that contradict each other on just about every subject.

I would never drive after smoking. You're missing the point, however. We don't outlaw cel phones because they cause accidents. We ask people to be responsible and provide penalties when they're not. It's the exact same with guns.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I tried weed twice in my life time. I didn't like it each time I tried it. It always left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to drink beer to get rid of it.

I don't drink when I'm fishing and I quit smoking anything over 20 year ago. I don't even drink Diet Coke anymore. Unless I'm drinking hard licker. But I save my good booze till I'm out riding mt Quad. It helps me relax when doing something I'm not supposed to do willing. But only in moderation. Plus I'm really a happy drunk.
  20. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I don't think anyone has done anything but agree with you on this.