The ultimate fishing sidearm?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Nov 12, 2007.

1. This weekend, my neighbor showed me his newest toy - a 5-shot revolver designed to fire .410 shotshells through a 3-inch rifled barrel. The Taurus 'Judge' (so named for the habit of Federal judges to carry pistols under their robes in south Florida courtrooms), seems like it might just be the ideal close range backwoods sidearm when chambered with say three .410 loads and two .45 Colt slugs. Read more about it here: http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm

K

[​IMG]

2. not bad.... not bad.... I have said it a few times on this forum though..... Hk is the way to go for fishing side arms..... Submerge em, beat em, freeze em and so on.... Not to mention my USP tactical holds 12 rounds of .45 acp

3. Well, it would certainly handle rattlers in eastern Washington, as well as bears with the .45 Long Colt loads!

4. the idea of a small shotgun sidearm is appealing due to the fact that you can get less-than-lethal loaded shotshells. i'd rather fire rock salt on a perturbed tweaker than a .45 slug

5. lol @ guns

6. ummm... ok :confused:

7. seriously though i wish i had a pistol of some sort. actually i wish i had this pistol. **** shooting people though. Don't do that, there is a better way. At least aim for the foot.

9. after 4yrs of residence in florida... i beg to differ

10. ... not to mention for subduing all those hogs that resist coming to net.

11. Kent,

Upon reading the attached link I came away a little more interested than I was at first. As you know (or may not know) I collect fine vintage S&W revolvers, mostly in .44 Special, so I'm a dyed-in-the-wool wheelgun man. I would cry like a baby if I dropped one of these fine old Smiths in the rocks, so I often carry a cheap little .22 revolver in my pack. I rarely do this when fishing, but more often when I'm hunting chukar in the rimrock in Central Washington. I'm always paranoid, through personal experience, that my dog will get hit by a rattler. I also carry the .22 for coyotes, as I've had them try to lure my dog(s) into a chase, which would most likely end up in an ambush with other yotes. My old 16ga double with #7.5 shot doesn't have the range for that. This goofy looking revolver actually appears to be a great choice for a trail gun. And it's a Taurus, so if it tumbles down a steep canyon it won't be the end of the world (not that you'd want that to happen). I like it. By the way, if you don't roll your own you can get some nice heavy loads for bears via Buffalo Bore Ammunition, of St. Ignatius, MT. Url: http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#low45

Cliff

12. I'm suprised that I have never though of a side arm where I fish. I get as far off the beaten path as I can get sometimes. I know that there are Bears up where I go and Bull Moose. I only got out of the Upper Ruby one time because there was something in the bushes rattling around. But as for snakes, since I've been in Montana I have only seen one snake and it was a garder snake about 18" long.

Jim

13. Here's what I get to pack... in silver...
    [​IMG]

I am looking for a replacement, unless I desire to go old west style and get a holster that will fit on my wading belt... That Taurus is interesting.

14. Aim for the foot? If you've pulled the gun, you've already commited to shooting to kill. If you can't follow through, don't pull the gun. Shooting the foot sounds more 'PC', but what happens when you miss and he closes the gap and grabs your gun or stabs you with that knife? Or when the gun that he's been reaching for is now pointed at your head??

If you are going to pack a gun for self defense, you need to be ready to shoot to kill. If you aren't, then either keep the gun for snakes or whatever, or just don't pack at all. At least that's my 2 cents...

15. Shooting rattlesnakes...WTF and LOL. What, they're gonna chase you like a black mamba? :rofl:

Considering that the vast majority of people who get bit are dill-holes trying to...

(1) kill them or

(2) handle them (that would be me)

I don't really see the point of shooting them. If they scare ya...stay home. I walk around them. It's quieter and and cheaper ;)

16. David, I love ALL wildlife, including rattlesnakes. I think they're endlessly fascinating creatures. But if it comes to my bird dog being bitten by one, well, I would have to protect my pooch. As for me, I'm not fearful of them, just respectful.

Cliff

ps - Exactly what IS a dill-hole? I've heard that term before but I just can't picture it....

17. No argument here. Defending your pooch (or God forbid a child) is a priority.

I was just thinking, for most folks, avoiding them is a safer bet. I just have this vision of someone tromping down a trail, seeing a snake and say "OMG there's a SNAKE!!" *BLAM*.

Obviously my vision does not fit all situations or folks :)

Oh yeah...that Taurus looks like a nifty sidearm.

18. iagree 100%

19. The vast majority of snake bites are the direct result of a known chemical reaction between testosterone and alcohol.

Anyone tried out that Taurus by the way? Wondering what kind of a recoil you would have with 410 shells.

20. I am posting here against my better judgement, but am curious what others are doing so differently than I am. I have spent good time in the outdoors, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. My dog knows well enough to stay away from rattlers. If he comes across a snake he is going to be bitten much quicker than I can pull a gun, get to the snake, aim, shoot, and "defend my dog." And I have yet to have a snake chase down and attack my dog. For all the training that anyone with a bird dog should do, it is not hard to train them away from rattlers - PM me and I will tell you how.

With regards to the "shooting to kill" vs. "shooting in the foot" debate, how about the tried and true, just walk away from your fishing hole strategy. I understand there are dangers from bears, cougar, and the like, but this is more directed at the "personal protection" people. I cannot imagine a possible scenario in which I would "need" a gun to protect myself while fishing. We should all be smart enough to know when to walk away from a specific area. We can all read people well enough to know when potential trouble is around. In those situations, how about just walking away? I understand this is a pain in the ass, and the argument people will have about their "right to fish where they want to fish" but for christ sake...THEY ARE ONLY FISH!!!

Too many people spending too much time worrying how to protect themselves from "the methheads." You want to protect yourself? Get off your asses and go volunteer at a teen center. Or better yet, spend the money you would on a fricking gun and pay for a guide to take someone fishing that otherwise may not understand the wonders of the outdoors. I understand that would take actual effort and be a slower solution to the problem, but I think it is far more constructive than shooting to kill.

my 2 cents.

Pieter