The ultimate fishing sidearm?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Nov 12, 2007.

1. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +740 / 0
    Is that like some kind of phallic "potaters" :rofl:

Not bashing your spelling/typing. I'm the worst. But that word almost made me shoot my water out my nose.
  2. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    There seem to be a few folks who believer you can talk your way out of any bad situation. It seems obvious to me that there are going to be times that you can't and that's when a weapon, of any kind, would be most welcome. More guns equal less crime, well yes. If used responsibly, yes I know that's a hell of a modifier, a gun is a great deterrent. If you believe the opposite is true then please tell me how it is that Washington DC, Oakland CA and Philadelphia aren't completely murder free?

As far as personal experiences that made me wish or glad I had a gun there have been a couple.

This past summer on a suburban creek not far from Tacoma my wife and I were fishing when a 18-21 year old guy walked up and started chatting. He asked how we were doing and when I told him we'd caught a few fish he asked where they were. I told him we released them all and he proceeded to tell me that he was also C&R with worms. While I was doing this I was tying a fly on without my reading glasses so it takes a bit sometimes.I told him that it's a heck of a feat to release a fish in a healthy manner that's had a worm in it's gut. That's when he started talking about how he carries a gun and isn't afraid to use it on anyone who's troubling him. I suggested he should be careful with that subject as it understandably makes people nervous. He ignored that and decided to regale us with a tale of how she shot a tweaker up on the Ho who was low-holing him and threatened him. I asked what the outcome was and he told me he's shot him in both legs, but that upon review no charges were filed. The other two times he'd pulled his gun shots hadn't been fired. I had long stopped trying to tie my fly on but started watching his hands. He was wearing a canvas type army coat and was carrying a tackle box. But on his right side there was a distinct bulge of a full size handgun.

My wife had heard enough of the conversation and sensed my un-ease so she'd reeled in and was standing by with a frozen smile. The fellow continued to tell us of his bad assedness for a few more minutes until he decided to work downstream. We decided to go home while keeping watch over our shoulders.
    The moral of this is that we were about 1/4 mile from our car. This was an incident we didn't invite and really had very little control over how it played out. My sense was that this was a wanna be sociopath looking for an opportunity to live out his fantasies. Am I glad I was armed, certainly I was. Please note my being armed did not in any way cause escalate the situation. It actually allowed me to remain calm and cautious with this fellow as I was confident I could defend my wife and I from harm.

When I was in middle school my family was staying in a cabin at Packwood. My father had taken me and two of my younger sisters fishing to the Cowlitz just a mile or so below La Wis Wis Campground. There was a bridge and river access you got to by driving down into the canyon along a dusty dirt road. We parked at the bridge and fished the whole afternoon. As it was getting close to evening we'd worked our way back down to about 100 yards from this bridge. My sisters were wading as we fished. My dad and I noticed a car park next to ours and the occupant stayed in it for about 5 minutes. He then proceeded to get out and with what I remember as a great deal of ceremony he put on a gunbelt, tied the laces from his holsters to his legs, then loaded and holstered two revolvers. He then looked up and stared at us for more than a moment then walked into the woods coming towards us.

My father and I looked at each other and he said we should get the hell out of there. We gathered my sisters and hurriedly walked to our van all the while watching the woods. We tossed our gear in the back and reversed to leave. As my father switched gears from reverse to drive we saw this fellow run out of the woods next to the river (he'd entered about 100 yards away from the river and came out alongside where we were) and run to his car. The sun had set in the canyon and the light was fading.

At that point my dad hit the gas creating a cloud of dust and we headed up the hill towards the highway. The fellow caught up to us as my dad was hurrying but not going all too fast out as it was a dirt road and with no shoulders. He now says he was not driving too fast as he really couldn't believe, at that time, that we were being chased. Well the guy chasing us got about 20 feet behind us and going from side to side as if to pass us. Both our cars were making a lot of dust and I grabbed our spotlight and shined it out the back of our van at the guy. He tried to follow for a bit more but ended up falling back. As we exited on the highway we accelerated to mach speed and never knew where he went.

My father and I talk about this every so often when we're in the outdoors and shiver when thinking about what might have occurred. I found that my dad did have his revolver that day but that it was locked in the van. In this instance a gun didn't save us and even if I were older and armed my response would have had to be the same. But you can certainly imagine that if we hadn't escaped this fellow a gun would have been a much appreciated last line of defense.

BTW- for the fellow who said "shoot them in the feet" I agree with everything else that's been said. But one other thing to consider is the use of a gun is considered lethal force. So whether your intent is to stop an attacker by aiming for center mass or "just" to shoot in the foot, the law will view your actions equally as lethal force. There's no difference in how the DA will prosecute if you're in the wrong. If the situation is only bad enough that you can get out of it by shooting someone in the foot, it's not bad enough to use a gun.
  3. TC I live with wind knots

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Cliff Said "But I can tell you this - I will never, ever, find myself in a position where I am unable to defend myself like this (swiss army knife vs. .44 magnum)"

I am just curious cliff, If you had a loaded gun at that point, Would you be filing a police report of you just shooting someone? Would there now be one or two less people in this world instead of two scared shit-less live people. Don't get me wrong, I carry. but your story just made me think what AI would do if I encounterd someone shooting; shoot back or run. I guess the smart thing would be to run, and glad you did, even if with just a knife.
  4. PhlyPhisher New Member

shoreline WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    iagree Thank You !!!! Cliff! I'd feel safer with you armed then a lot of the individuals attempting to rationalize playing Rambo.
    I'd like to know something tho...With regards to carrying a gun for protection against rattlers...Can't you just walk away? I've been told that if threatened by a rattler, you should freeze, then slowly back away. Wouldn't reaching/fumbling for a gun just provide more time for the rattler to strike? Frankly, I think carrying a gun for protection against snakes is a bogus excuse to just carry a gun. I suspect 90% of the people on this forum that advocate carrying a gun couldn't hit a rattler with a hand gun unless it was only 3 feet away. :rolleyes:
  5. Pat AV Member

Burnaby, B.C.
    Threads like this one are the reason I love checking this site out once in a while, we just don't have enough gun topics on my home fishing sites.

Keep up the good work guys! :beer2:
  6. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but then I'm sometimes dense. Are you asking me if I would have made a police report if the worst had happend and I had shot the guy? Of course I would have. Or are you asking if I would have shot at the guy if my gun had been loaded at the truck, THEN made a report? Yes, I would have made a police report under any of these circumstances. The truth of the matter is I don't know if I would have shot back at the guy or not. I discovered that when you are in fear for your life the survival instinct take over and you just run.

PhilyPhisher, I don't carry a handgun to protect myself from rattlesnakes, it's to protect one or both of my bird dogs from getting bitten, which can happen when hunting rimrock country for chukar in central Washington. I really don't know if I could hit a rattler at ten feet, but I'm a pretty good shot.
    I also carry the .22 for coyotes who might try to lure my dog into a chase, and eventual ambush with others in the pack.

Cliff
  7. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    BJG -
    If this thread is really about "the usefullness of a "tool" as it pertains to fishing" then the ONLY reply on the entire thread that is relevant is my first response...

D
  8. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA

Oh that only happens in the movies....:ray1:
  9. xafisher JBrown

Sedro Woolley, WA
    after reading this thread I've decided to put the flyrod away and get one of these

10. bankwalker Member

seattle
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    carry a 44mag at least. 90% of the time you will never need a sidearm to protect you from people while fishing...its the times when you are in bear and cougar country that you will need it. and its just plain dumb to carry anything smaller then a 44mag or 45 colt. A 45acp will not get the job done in less then 3 shots. and by that time what ever you are shooting at will either be on you or gone. use something big and get the job done when it needs to be, and not have to worry about backup shots. my 2cents

2 years ago there was a bear up at reiter that would fallow people back to their car when they smell fish. i had one guy come running down the trail screaming and yelling bear...i figured he was just playing but sure enough there comes that bear walking down there trail right to the parking lot. i would hate to be pinned out on the river bank with a couple steelhead and cant go anywhere cause that bear wants them more then i do...a quick shot would scare it off hopefully...and it that doesnt work i sure want a caliber that will do some damage.

same goes with a tweeker, bigger the bang the farther they run. and if they dont run the bigger then bang the bigger the hole :-P hehe
  11. Pieter Salverda Member

Ballard, Wa
    God Bless the USA.

12. bankwalker Member

seattle
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    btw people and this goes to everyone. if you are going to carry you better be willing to use it. plain and simple.

carry for protection...NOT A SCARE TACTIC. if you pull out your sidearm on someone and they dont run you better be willing to use it. BUT dont pull it out and think you have to use it. that should always be the first thought in your head when that time comes, BUT the last thing you do.

there is so many cases where people get guns pulled on them and they do nothing but pee their pants and freak out. if thats the reaction you get then just put it away. IF the person just stairs you in the face you better be willing to use it. cause they are more then likely trying to figure a way out of that situation that doesnt involve giving up.

^^^that last one if from personal experience with a friend who ended up getting shot cause he thought he was badass and stood up to a guy who pulled a gun on us. i started shaking and begged not to get shot lol and it worked.
  13. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Who worries about rattlers anyway?...
  14. Will Atlas Guest

guns are for people who live in fear of others. you are 100 times more likely to die driving to your favorite fishing spot than you are to be murdered by a random person while there, so why not invest that money you spend on your hand gun that ensures your "safety" on new brake bads or better tires? I know bad things do happen and they're tragic, but they are way over hyped by a grandiose media that seems hell bent on keeping Americans afraid. Shitty/scary situations may arise in our lives, but in my opinion a gun instantly makes a sketchy situation 10 times worse by raising the stakes. 99 out of 100 confrontations can be settled simply by keeping a cool head or walking away, and I dont know about you all but I dont plan on getting in that many.

In the off case that I do have a run in with someone where violence is absolutely unavoidable, I will deal with it then. I am young, and strong and am more than willing to defend myself physically, but the bottom line is a gun doesnt make me feel safer.

Will

PS-if you're a woman, I think things are a bit different, pepper spray/gun is a must have in my opinion on rivers like the Sky, Stilly, Sauk if you're fishing by yourself. And as someone said earlier, if you pull it out, you better darn well be willing to use it.
  15. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1

Hell, if I have a gun what do I have to be afraid of?

So you'll wear a seatbelt and prepare yourself for an auto accident but deny the sense of preparing yourself for an assault or otherwise? That's a little contradictory don't you think.

States that have legalized concealed carry have consistently seen a drop in violent crime. http://hematite.com/dragon/usatodayccw.html
  16. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0

Correct as usual Richard :rofl:
  17. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Can you post a quote of someone playing rambo here? :confused:
  18. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    So, am I to assume that you would shoot a bear rather than give up a couple of hatchery steelhead?
  19. oilslick New Member

Hillsboro, OR
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    Are you on a physhing trip with that question or are you serious?