The Ultimate Fly Fishing Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ceviche, Jun 12, 2004.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Could this be the one? Click the link below to see the Dodge Sprinter van. It gets 25 mpg (diesel) with its turbo diesel engine. If its fuel injection system is anything like the Volkswagen Jetta TDI, it might be possible to swap out the chip set to change the performance of the engine. Maximum head room is 73". Also, Airstream and Westphalia are doing a joint-venture R/V version. Sounds pretty cool to me.

<http://www.dodge.com/sprinter/index.html?context=sprinter-low_operating_cost&type=left>

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    My Ideal fishing vehicle is an old beater car that nobody wants to steal. Like that 93 Subaru wagon that I drive. It looks like hell but runs good. 27 miles to the gallon. All wheel drive and I'm not afraid to take it into the bushes.

Jim:thumb

3. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    :thumb
    Gotta be a Toyota Tacoma 4X4, any year!

4. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

I agree with that WB

:)

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

"The Ultimate Fly Fishing Vehicle".........is paid for!
    The Toyota Tacoma?? What are you guys smokin'? Those things are small and cramped, ride like a buckboard and are overpriced. Sure, they last a long time but so does an anvil.;-) ;) Ive

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Ive...:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Jim

7. FISHFACE

FISHFACE New Member

The only thing that would make that a great fly fishing
    rig would be if it was 4wd and had an option for removable
    camping interior like the, hate to say it , Vanagan.
    :thumb

8. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I also vote for the Toyota Tacoma. Actually, any Toyota pickup will do. Chrysler products don't rank highly on my list. A Dodge will only ride as smooth as the tow truck pulling it.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Actually, the best one I had seen (up until last week) was a friends vehicle when I was younger. He had one of those old 4x4 Blazers from 73-75' (think his was a 75'). Can't remember what they were called, but instead of the full convertible top they had that year, they had a camper shell on them. Was nice, room to move, place to sleep, cook, and store fishing equiptment.

BUT, a friend sent me a link from ebay motors. There is a 4x4 motorhome that is COOL!!!!!! Has a double axle (guess it would be a 10x10 since two double axles and all axles are locked in). Looks like a standard pickup (looked like a Ford front end) but was built on a super long bed chassis. Had four doors, and was fully plumbed and setup for camping. Was one cool machine. But at $90k, was a BIT out of my pricerange. LOL.

10. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
  11. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
  12. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

To start with, I have to say it sure is good to have Ive back on this site. (Been meaning to say that for some time)

"what are you guys smokin?" Priceless.

I like a vehicle that is strong enough to tow a nice little tent trailer. That makes it good for a small aluminum boat and trailer for the sound also.

Nice thing about a tent trailer set up is, it gives you a nice base camp anywhere you go. Put a car top boat on either your vehicle or the tent trailer if it will support it adequately.

Now you can explore nearby lakes in your vehicle, boat on top or toons in the back. And your wife will like going with you.

Best gas mileage rig to accomplish above requirements and also fit your budget, done deal.

Mark

13. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Subaru is the way to go man! Ive got an impreza, its awesome on dirt and i am not afraid to drive it in the bush. My dad drives a Yukon XL and it IS the ultimate fly fishing vehicle. I have put many hours into it making it so, although now that i think about the warrentys prbably voided. But hell, what they dont know can t hurt em! I put in some rod rack, a cot that fold down, it has seen more fishing miles than about anything else. Shes got 60,000 miles on her and we have had her for just over a year.
    Subaru + Suburban = Tag team champions of the world

14. LeakyTiki

LeakyTiki Member

Media:
    While this may not be the ultimate fly fishin' rig..
    I like it and it is paid for.
    LT

15. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

And Dave......We know who's comin' a half mile away!!! Ive

16. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

May not be ultimate, but it's all I got. 1994 F150 Ford
    Pick Up, 6 cyls. I bought it for the supposed mileage but it does not do well--about 10- 12MPH. Something's wrong but I don't know what. The former owner changed the tires to a size or two larger to look bad and that might be it. Runs perfectly and only has 50 K. Been babied something fierce.

Very disappointed in the mileage. Baffled.

Bob, the Only reasons I got one is because it is what all the real boys have, like Mattzoid etc.:smokin

17. mcoomer

mcoomer New Member

Put me down for the Tacoma as well, or anything similar. It gets better gas mileage than full size rigs and doesn't have premium amenities that I would worry about getting dirty or wet. I have the V6, which is plenty of power, with shift-on-the-fly 4X4, extended cab for people or gear, canopy for covered storage, and a Yak rack on the canopy for my toon. There are nicer rigs around, but I can't say there are more practical or capable rigs for what we do with them.

Having said that, I was down on the Deschutes about a month ago and saw a cool rig. It was a newer panel van that the dude had raised and added 4WD, added heavy bumpers fore and aft with winch on the front, and the interior had been gutted and a propane kitchen and sink added with a drop table that converted to sleep 2. I thought that he should have had an awning to cover the side doors to complete the deal, but that's just me. Still it was a sweet rig.

Mike

18. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Bob, Get rid of those big tires and go back to the original equipment size. Those little 6 cyl engines don't have either the cubic inches or torque to pull a larger tire size. What you end up with is an engine that is forever lugging because the tires have effectively overgeared the rig. When you start to use your rig as a truck(ie. actually carry weight or tow a load) the situation worsens and you have to use the lower gears to make any progress at all. Unless the rig came with a 4:11 rear end putting bigger tires on was a mistake by the original owner. Sometimes there is little distinction between being cool and being a fool.
    On a ten year old truck I would automatically change the plug wires and go to a quality set of silicone plug wires and some up to date plugs-making sure they are exactly the right heat range. Make sure the fuel filter is fresh and if possible replace the air filter with a K & N insert or something similar. Lastly, I would go to a muffler shop and have them check for blockage in the catalytic converter. These things fail internally more often than you would think and can absolutely kill milage. Everything else can be perfect on the rig but if the converter is bad, milage will never improve. I always replace mine with a high output model which cost a little more but flows a lot better. My V-8 got better milage on the Highland Fling towing a 21' 5th wheel over 2 mountain ranges! Somethings rotten in Denmark, Bud. Ive

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Mattzoid has a Jeep,year unknown and he doesn't baby it. Many,many miles between here and the OP. It goes thru all kinds of weather,thru anything that has a bottom in it and I just hope what he drives thru with me in the front seat that he gets all the way thru.

Jim

20. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Thanks, Ive.

I made a print of your remarks and will go to Napa with my Visa in hand. I'll call Steve; maybe he has the old tires. With gas the price it is, no expense is too large to improve mileage and particularly when I am on my way to Idaho to meet up with you.

Bob, the Yea, Denmark is rotten allright.x(