The Ultimate Fly Fishing Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ceviche, Jun 12, 2004.

1. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    I change my vote. After dealing with two herniated discs for awhile now I have concluded that Toyotas are not for people over 6' tall or people with back problems. They're too small and the seats suck. Before I got rid of mine I could barely get in and out. Shifting sent pain down my leg. My new vote is for anything comfortable, like the F-150 I drive now.
  2. Hoglipstick tailing looped

B.I., WA and Superior, MT.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hauled Mogs on some NATO missions I flew a few years back. Sweet rig for fishing to be sure. Still my vote goes for the Range Rover Defender 90's. All the suger AND twice the caffeine.
  3. Hoglipstick tailing looped

B.I., WA and Superior, MT.
    I'm changin' my vote. The new Suzuki Grand Vitara has full locking diff.s and can still be had for less than $20K. Oh yeah, it get's killer MPG. and plenty of leg room.
  4. catdaddy027 Banned or Parked

Vancouver, WA
    I went on a trip this dec. from Vancouver to Durango then through the Grand Canyon down to Phoenix for a party and saw a former garbage truck turned into the RV from hell. It was incredible...all military grey and mysterious with matching mt. bikes on a rack in back...no windows and huge wheels... very intimidating to my measly '96 f-250 4x4 but probably better gas milage...
  5. nick m New Member

Groton, Ma/Walla Walla
    Yeah, give me 10 grand and I would too. The klr650 is a poor man's f650gs which is a baby r1150gs. sweet pic, though. man, I can't wait to get back on my bike... 3 more days...
  6. QHays Premember

Here and There
    I really hope the Grand Vitara vote was a joke. Nothing better than an XJ... My 97 will go anywhere, haul anything, is big enough to sleep in, turns around easily anywhere, and has made it from New Hampshire to the Arctic Ocean (Deadhorse anyway) via South Carolina... Even though it's an American POS, it's a JEEP, and quite a few steps up the ladder from all the other Chrysler products... By the way -- that Maxi is awesome, and there's no knockin' Chris' bike either, plus just about every one of my friends drive a little ass Toyota or a Subaru, and they do go forever...
  7. seatownbrock Still in the 206.....

Burien, WA
    Nothing unorthodox about a KLR to me! I use mine to go fishin all the time. I would also disagree that it is a "poor man's f650,". I rode both, could afford both, but settled on the KLR out of simplicity.

The new 1200 adventure sure makes me drool though.... :eek:

This summer we should have a ride/camp/fishing trip with all the bike geeks on here.

Here is my ride, somewhere on the long road to AK.:beer2:

[IMG]
  8. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
    I can't agree more, my damn Nissan Pathfinder was the same way, I to like my F-150.

And watch out for Jim complaining about bringing up old posts :rofl:
  9. Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

WA
    Easy access to your gear, it's already broken into, and no one... with any pride will steal it.
  10. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Haul anything?? Oh, you mean anything that is small :p

Big enough to sleep in? Maybe if you're david spade or something :cool:

The all around 'ultimate' rig needs to have it's qualifications narrowed down:

1) you can't worry about it being broken into or vandelized while you are fishing
    2) is has to do at least some moderate offroad duty
    3) decent gas milage
    4) room for your buddies
    5) able to haul at least a drift boat and your buddies over the pass
    6) others??
  11. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    This works just fine for me. An oldie but a goody 1995. Fully loaded and comfortable, big enough to carry everything I need, and more than ample for sleeping in. V6 gets good mileage, and 4x4 will get me there.

Best of all it's paid for, in fact was a gift from my youngest son, who drove it here from Oklahoma at Christmas. It's drive train has been completely rebuilt, new tires brakes and shocks, transfer case, engine and trans, so it's like new.

First one to recognize the location I took the pic's at, wins a sclupin fly! and notice the WFF fish logo already attached in the rear window.

LB
  12. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
  13. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    That Earth Roamer is a sweet package, but at $228,426.00 fully equiped, it's a lottery winning dream for me. Man it is nice though.

LB
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    This is easy. Boy's and Girl's club in Sultan.:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Jim
  15. bigtj Member

Victoria, BC
    That Dodge sprinter would get blown all over the place when the wind blows.

Personally, for about 10G's a mid-90's suburban or an expedition is nice, you can comofortably sleep in the back and pull a lot of junk with it. Gas mileage isn't the best though, and you've got to look around to find one that's reliable.

I love my pathfinder for driving my drift boat and raft around but it's too small to sleep in I have to tent it for now.

-John
  16. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    Somethin That Floats! =)
  17. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I was parked next to that red ford not too long ago ;)
  18. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    I've got a couple of rigs I use. I have a 1988 Toyota P/U and a 02 Chevy crewcab dsl.4X4 for long trips and hauling trailers ect....
  19. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    OOPS I forgot the Chevy.
  20. toddsbernina New Member

Kennewick, WA
    I've got a 1994 Ford Taurus. its a good fly fishing rig because
    1. I can take up to 5 friends with me
    2. there is enough room in the trunk to carry supplies for a 4 day trip no problem.
    3. if i can fit my 8' rod in it with out breaking it down.
    4. V6 deacent gas milage and enough power
    5. It hasn't gotten stuck yet. Knock on wood.
    6. It's crappy enough that no one is going to waste their time stealing it.
    7. Back seat is big enough to sleep on.
    8. IT WAS FREE.
    When i get some money i'm going to be looking for a early 90s ford ranger but this works for now.