The view of a society ignorant of steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChrisC, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Once they are gone, this is what you get (scroll down below the article and look at the comments):
    http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jan/12/restoring-steelhead-to-cost-up-to-21-billion/

The point of posting this is that we still have an opportunity to keep what we have (which is still quite a lot on a relative scale). Volunteer or contribute to the organizations that work on behalf of what we fish for.

If you ever visit Southern California (and I do at least once yearly), it's not a wonder why people have absolutely no idea of what they had before.

2. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I'm not even sure I have words for this.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't like California or Californians and never did. We should give it to Mexico and build a fence around it.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Disclaimer; I'm not a Californian.

That being said. Before we go bashing how bad they are, lets just remember which west coast state banned commercial salmon fishing off their coast and which one said fuck the sportsman.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Excellent point Jeff.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I still don't like California or for that matter Californians.

7. freestoneangler

Media:
    Does that include non-native transplants, transplants of any origin, pure strains or all of the above? I fit into the first category :p

8. shawn k

shawn k Member

when you start bashing cali just remember the people that fucked it up came from place like Worshington and Orygun and Oklahoma because they needed to build all of thse ditches and dams and stripmine its forests.

9. Joe Mateas

Joe Mateas Member

Media:
    Dang Kerry, your words cut deep! But lucky for me I have thick skin and they didn't cut all the way through, lol!

Most of the comments made me want to puke, but thats the way SoCal thinks, all money, F nature, complaining about water costs(poor me, we have no water, boohoo)... blah, blah blah.. Just words of ignorant people building and buying housed in area's that don't have the rescources to sustain such a populated society. They just want to suck every natural rescource dry to the pont of collaps/extinction, it's just plain rediculous how ignorant the majority of socal is. I for one am in favor of splitting our great state in two, N.CA and S.CA, and stop giving water to the billionaire farmers that use what they need and sell the rest back to the water utility's for 500% profit margin. Our state is broke and we basically give water away that is being resold to line the pockets of a very small group of rich company owners, maybe make them pay for the restoration projects that are needed because of their greed.

10. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    liberals in ventura county????? probably not one within a hundred miles. what you are reading is the mindset of that area, nothing new here just now directed at steelhead instead of some other land rape.

11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Reading this made me glad I live in WA. I found this comment disturbing as I have heard things like it WA from non-fishermen. It's pretty hard to convince people there is a problem when they see steelhead on the menu or at the store:

"One of Ventura's major grocery stores routinely has steelhead fillets for sale. Yummmmm! $2.1 billion would buy a lot of steelhead. I must be missing some nuance about this topic."

12. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

I'm a non-native transplant like Freestone. When you have everything clearcut, paved over, channelized, dammed, you end up with only golfing as an outdoor activity (no offense intended) and hunters and fishermen are at the fringe or become destination sportsmen. The point I made to the WDFW is that they need to be careful with blanket closures, by doing so, they risk marginalizing a constituency (us and sportsmen in general) that at least has some degree of advocacy on behalf of the resource.

13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

All those ignorant anti-steel comments to the article prove that California is a lost cause. The last good thing to happen there was back in Sept 1950, in Oakland! Then in the summer of 1955, after my Dad's job took our family to WA when I was almost 5, CA started going downhill and never recovered!:rofl:

14. freestoneangler

Media:
    My brother and sister still live there and provide consistent updates confirming Jim's last sentence. I lived there from 1967 until 1985, during my young and oblivious years. Having come from Florida, I absolutely fell in love with the wilds of the west and rocky mountains. CA is where I started my fishing pursuits. My later years included considerable fishing on the lower Sac, Feather and American. They still have some great fisheries, but sadly will not likely ever include wild steelhead or salmon.

First Arnold then digging up and electing Jerry Brown was all I needed to confirm any remaining doubts that the state may be beyond repair.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have only been to California twice. First time in 1953 and the second time for a funeral. I don't miss the place and for the life of me, I don't know why anybody wants to live there. It soon will slide into the sea when the big one hits.

As for Steelhead on the menu's of places to eat. People that don't fish for steelhead don't have any idea that they are on the way of going extinct. And I don't think that they really care.

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Hey Jim, the sea is gonna slide all over the WA coast when the "big one" hits. As of yet, I haven't gotten around to mooring to my garage's chimney a kayak loaded with survival gear and emergency rations. I do not feel comfortable with your choice of the adverb "soon" in your prediction. I hope you are talkin' geological time there, buddy!

Stay away from Butte. The "big one" will cause Butte to collapse into a gigantic crater, it being so undermined. Of course, when Yellerstone blows, it'll be the shot heard 'round the world, and probably will level all of Montana.:beer2:

17. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
  18. freestoneangler

Media:
    We should all be so fortunate... very cool.

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am just joking around. I or anyone could say the same about Seattle and Seattlites or Sedro Woolley and rednecks.

20. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ignorance is amazing. Comparing an animal that went extinct due to earths natural climate shifts and then one that is near extinction due to man.:rolleyes: What an idiot. And in regards to the liberal comment, I am as far from a liberal as can be, and this guy makes me sick.:beathead: