The Woolly Worm

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by PatrickH, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +440 / 0
    I like your tie. I tie mine with a red wool tail. Don't know why, just the way I learned. This fly has saved the day for me on several occasions. This and the Wooly Bugger.

Different colors work well also. I like Olive. Brown and Black,
  2. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    woolly buggers are my fav. haven't tied a woolly worm yet but I wiil now.
    Outlaw
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,733 / 0
    I too was taught to tie the Woolly Worm with a red yarn tail. Evidently that is the traditional material.

I've always wondered why the WB is called a Woolly Bugger. What's up with that? Why "bugger"????

Really, all it is is a Woolly Worm with a marabou tail. I believe the WB was first tied and used in Alaska but I'm not sure about that. It may be one of those patterns that has no specific beginning but came from modifying a proven pattern, such as the Woolly Worm.
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I thunked it came from down under. Either New Zealand or the land of OZ. I guess it really doesn't matter.
  5. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    Russel Blessing , from Harrisburg Penn.
    http://www.flyrodreel.com/node/16096
  6. John Weston Member

ok, heres the story on the woolly bugger. it was first tied by Russell Blessing in 1967 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania by tieing a marabou tail to a woolly worm and that's how it came to life.
    I ran across it in 1973 in Medford,Or. tied one and caught a 10lb. steelhead. I also caught a lot of trout with them. the steel was on a chartreuse one. trout was on different colors. the WB has been my fav ever since.
    Outlaw
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    THANKS FOR SETTING ME STRAIGHT. I KNOW IT IS MY FAVORITE FLY.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,733 / 0
    Ha! That Blessing guy obviously stole the pattern from someone in Alaska name "Bugger"... how would we ever know???? :p:p
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    The idenity is in the fishing. If the fish like it, it is not important who first tied it.
  10. John Weston Member

sorry guys, I was just letting ya all know who tied it in case someone didn't know. I'll keep my mouth shut.
    Outlaw
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Nooo, don't be sorry. And we appreciate you information.