The Works!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jami_wa, Apr 6, 2006.

1. crobarr New Member

hillsboro, oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    was just getting a few things together to tie up some flies tomarrow and realized i forgot a couple tools. neither are required, but i find both VERY usefull for the tying i do.

Marc Petijean Magic Tool Clip Set-

dubbing brush maker- i built my own crude version. you can buy 1 for around $70. look in the gallery for 1 somebody else made, sorry i forgot who it was, been a while since a seen it.
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Don't foget beer, lots and lots of beer.
  3. jami_wa New Member

City, State
    Ewwww Beer lol....Brewery = Horses peeing in big vats...then going into small cans forsale......lol oh wait maybe you couldn't tell I don't like beer....hey but maybe it would come in handy killing bugs on feathers? Or I could soak my flies...heh drunk fish...they will eat anything....
  4. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    you are correct that any beer found in a can tastes like horse piss

that's why I prefer the bottled variety, dark please!
  5. Cactus Dana Miller

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    OK, OK... Make it chilled white wine for you!
  6. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    EVERYONE likes beer. It's simply a matter of finding the right beer. :beer1: I'm guessing Lindeman's Framboise would be a good place for you to start.

Desmond- I found a good canned beer, I mean other than Guinness. It's called Old Chub. It's a scottish style ale brewed in Colorado. Perfect for fishing-- goood beer, no glass, easy to pack in and out.
  7. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    I forgot there was one exception to my distaste for canned beer, I just don't buy it all too often unless at a pub, and when I do buy it in a can, it gets poored into a chilled glass! :beer1: I'll have to try your Old Chub, where did you find it?
  8. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    It was at this beer specialty store. I'm trying to get a case of it for DF.
  9. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +157 / 0
    Call me childish, but whenever I read this:

I start to giggle...
    :rofl:
  10. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    bad dog, bad! No, I won't call you childish, just a perv!:rolleyes:
  11. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
  12. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I can't believe you dont like horse piss. Its not to say that I'm slightly offended.
  13. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    Jami, you and your significant other want to learn to tye, give me a shout, I do alot of round table teaching with the Overlake Fly Club, ect. and usually have people over to tie a couple times a month, we learn from each other, and share some great patterns. I found most of the best tyers to be ones that spend a lot of time fishing as well, so it turns into trading spots and oaths of secrecy ect. lol. Anyway, if you get your hands on some stuff, I'll start you guys on the right path. Griffins vices are affordable, the Odyssey ai think it's called, with the cam lever vice, very nice, and cheap for a rotary vice, compliment that with a cast iron base from Cabela's and the tools are all a matter of preference. Wasatche tools look beautiful, but can be spendy, but really a bodkin, a couple three bobins, a good hair stacker, whip finish tool, hackle pliers ( grifffin makes all of these) your ready.........I must warn you, I have been working on my materials for 10 years, and I'm scared to think what I have invested in those cedar boxes, eeek... Buy GOOD hackle, thats my first piece of advice, then after that, you will be suprised what a little bit will last a long time. You als ostart to look at fly recipes as general guidelines but your cooking with what you have in the cupboard. There are many suitable like materials that can mix match and substitute what a specific "recipe" might call for.

Good Luck