There are Thieves in them thare woods.

Discussion in 'Lost, Found, Stolen' started by SPEYBUM, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Aaron, I believe that you should post a listing of the missing items. I frequent ebay and craigslist and that is where a lot of stuff is fenced.
    Karma will catch up with these people now or later!
    Thanks for all of your help!
    Kirk
  2. Don Barton Member

Seattle
    Aaron:

You are soooo generous with your time and equipment, it is doublely wrong that you have been victimized by some scoflaw who has benefited from your free Saturday classes.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,329 / 9
    Aaron, I've not yet had the priveledge to meet you or enjoy a day on the river. That being said, I've had gear and fly rods stolen, snowboards stolen, bikes stolen and miscellaneous gear stolen. Theives are the worst kind of person because they live their lives under false impressions and have a terrible character flaw.

If you are a thief and you are reading this. You are a bastard, a low life, stinking rat bastard and it is up to you to change. If you won't change then it is up to us to catch your rat bastard ass and put you in the clink where you deserve to be. If you are a thief and you don't like the way I'm typing to your sorry ass, send me a PM and maybe we can meet and discuss it further. I'm no badass, but I'm a man of character and that is all I need to be.

Aaron, sorry again for your being victimized by those that you are trying to help find the right rod, reel and line fit to save them money in experimenting on their own. To all the other honest, hard working, good natured and quality charcter people reading this, sorry for my rant.
  4. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Nothing Travels at the Speed of Trust.
    I want to thank every body for the well thought out response to this post.
    First I know that you do not want here a full autobiography of the rods and reel, which have been stolen. It is enough to know there have been 9 reels and 8 rods.
    I made the post out of anger for this I do apologize.
    In one short month I had Sage Z-Axis 7136 (which I bought back from a lad who had lost his job and being uses I could not sell it for a new rod so it went on the TryRack) it was ripped off before the cork had gotten warn and my old Demo Z-Axis 7136 is still on the TryRack.
    The second one in that month hurt, it was an Old Model Lampson Spey reel, which was new in the box (I had just bought from a friend of mine that needed money) with Carron 11/12 75 ft, Floater on it.
    We did not even get a chance to cast the Carron.
    I know one thing the person who did this last theft is sharp.
    He is either a well educated in fly-fishing or what is called a shopper.
    Some on who is a professional shopper is a thief who steals things that are requested.
    So I know whom ever is doing is this sharp.
    The Sage rod did not have Demo on it so it would be hard to trace.

How many people know what a Carron line is
    The length of line is long enough so in the past I put them on high end reels and of the 9 reels I have had stolen 4 have had Carron’s on them.

I guess what I am saying is to be present and ever so mindful of what is going on.
    One of my very good friends goes to the Sandy every year and when he sees some one that looks as he says “out of bounds” he will merely go up and ask how they like the XYZ rod and what Line hand the owner recommended for it.
    Does he think he ever stopped any one from thievery?
    He does not know.
    But the person who had the rod knows that some knew he and it and where it had came from.
    I will be discussing this and other issues at the first Day On River Round Table. This January that is scheduled for the Friday night following the second Monday of each month at 6:30 to 9:30 P.M..
    :beer2:
  5. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Holy shit!

9 rods and 8 reels..........that is way worse than I would have thought!
  6. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    Aaron, At golf proshops they wrap the shafts of the store demo clubs with yellow electrical tape. It is done in a spiral for a foot or so so it is easily seen. This would give us a quick and easy way to determine if the rod is yours or not. Here is a link to a tape store that sells many styles and patterns. http://www.tapebrothers.com/Hockey-Tapes-s/324.htm. You could also apply some of your shrink wrap over the cork on the rods.
    Fishing stores add a zip tie in a figure 8 to keep the reels from being removed.
    It makes me sad to think you need to do this but I guess the river is part the real world.
    Kirk
  7. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Shitty! In today’s society an honor system is hard to find… Thanks Aarron for your generosity with this program.

Maybe one of the expert casters should stand at the ready with some T-14 and a cone head ready to fly…
  8. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +133 / 3
    I can not imagine how anyone could enjoy fishing with such ill gotten equipment. Whoever is behind this must be turning it over on flea bay. Which would qualify them as a professional thief. Sad.
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Hey Aaron, why don't you post a list of the gear that was stolen? I am always checking Craigslist for stuff and if I see anything suspicious I could let you know.
  10. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    As Promised Here is the List
    The List
    Rods Newest to Oldest
    1. Sage Z-Axis 7136
    2. Sage 9141
    3. Sage 8136
    4. Sage 9140 Green
    5. Loop 8130 Gray
    6. Loop 10150 Blue
    7. CND Solstice 13’4’ 7/8
    8. CND Custom 9140 Reels
    The reels
    1. Lampson Old model Spey reel Carron 11/12
    2. Mt Rainier 4 Raised pillar reel Carron 11/12 85 ft.
    3. Goldenwitch 56 SN 2 Carron Trout line 8wt
    4. Goldenwitch 56 SN 8 Carron Trout line 6wt
    5. Guide Line Reelmaster 9/11 and Guidel Line Power taper 7/8
    6. Black Redington 10/11 AL and Mid Spey 9/10
    7. Black Redington 10/11 AL and XLT 8/9
    8. Gold Redington 11/12 AS and New Grandspey 9/10
    9. Gold Redington 10/11 AS and CND Custom line bu

This list goes back for 5 years.
    I would like to thank all of you for the e-mail suggestion and found some of them quite amusing
    The Battery and Battery calbe was rather unique know what a Scottman wears under his kilt.
    The cattle prod handle has defiant possibly but first we would have to catch them.
    The sniper across the river with the Barrette Light 50 has a good chance of working but I think I would soil my SIMMs when the gun went off.
  11. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    No problem. SIMMs warrenty covers one complimentary de-soiling.
  12. halibut Banned or Parked

on the ground
    Well people can. Even those in the industry, a big time Scott Fly Rod sales rep (Colorado) was caught stealing from shops that he visited. He had been doing it a long time, shop owners would find it strange that things would be missing after he made sales calls, and got suspicious. It wasnt like he didnt have all the rods and reels he needed from being a big time rep either.
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Thievery is like gambling and is addictive. A lot of people who steal don't need to. It is a very strange habit.

I still have been ripped off enough times at difficult parts of my life, as in I couldn't replace what was stolen, to pretty much want to beat all thieves bloody,