Thinamabobbers kind of suck. What's better?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    i dont understand how indicator nymphing is any "easier" then fishing a dry fly or swung fly.

you still have to mend, read water, present in dead drift (or slower then dead drift). combine in buckets that or 40 feet on the other side of the current, stack mending, getting the flies to the proper depth, etc... you also have to be fast on the hook set alot of the time. sure there are spots where it is super easy, but there are also perfectly even swing runs where you barely even have to make a mend.

and to claim swining is HARDER? less effective, maybe. harder, not so much. select a fly and tip, cast, mend, maybe lift some of the line off the water. look around smoking ur stoogie, watch some bald eagels. step downstream and repeat... set the hook when you hear ur drag start to sing...

with that said, im lookin forward to testing some of the new bobbers in this thread.
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    I've always thought the same thing, Dustin. It fits with Evan's post earlier about being an angler who is capable of catching fish via a wide variety of methods rather than narrowly and artificially constraining himself.
  3. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    I heard that on the internet one time. Must be true!!!
  4. Johnvl New Member

Lake Oswego , oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi, John here with Depth Skru, we have the gradual air loss problem figured out and rectified. We had been cutting the threads through the valve seat which created a little tiny place for air to leak out. It's gone now. Give me your address and I will send you some to sample again. The verticle shape is good information to have. We can make the balloons so they are oblong instead of round. I played with that once before and liked it myself. If you want to be a "tester" I will make you some that way. Email me at Skru.it1@gmail.com if you are interested
  5. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    Might not be easier to perform, but it sure is easier to get into fish under a bobber. I can almost guarantee a fish or two when nymphing glo bugs. I'll be happy to get 2 or 3 fish this winter on the swing, and thats spending 95% of my time swinging.

That said give the frogs hairs a try. Like you said, they turn on end when the drift is right(even different colors on each half) and are super sensitive. Cast better than the bubble types and don't mess with your leader. I do run 2 dots on the bottome side of it so it can't slide down though. Just make sure you get lots of the rubber dots as they are a 1 and done kind fo deal.
  6. Johnvl New Member

Lake Oswego , oregon
    Hi, John here with Depth Skru, we have the gradual air loss problem figured out with our screw-on valved balloon indicators. We had been cutting the threads all the way through the valve seat which created a little tiny "tear-out" in some cases where the air could slowly leak out. It's fixed now. Give me your address and I will send you some to sample again. The verticle shape is good information to have. We can make the balloons so they are oblong instead of round and stand up. I played with that shape once before and liked it myself. If you want to be a "tester" I will make you some that way. Email me at Skru.it1@gmail.com if you are interested.
  7. Uboatman Is it possible to fish, surf and golf all at once?

Seattle, WA
    Now that some of the drama has subsided re indicator fishing in whatever form, I thought I would add that I have run these fish pimp indicators and thought they were ok and did the trick. easy to adjust and doesn't mess with your line (kinks, knots etc). I dont work for them or anything, but the name cracks me up and when I saw these guys at a show they had a schpeel on how you pimp your nymphs.. was hilarious and makes for a good tee shirt/ hat.

http://www.fishpimpco.com/

Damn, I do want to thank you guys as I am going to go drag a bobber for some steelies since apparently it is a sure thing ;) not proud here! :)
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,696 / 2
    I personally find myself more challenged when I nymph for steelhead. Usually because I'm trying to work more complex water, or water that requires a very specific, precise drift in order to get the fish to notice. It's not as cut and dry as most would like you to think.
  9. Uboatman Is it possible to fish, surf and golf all at once?

Seattle, WA
    I nymph for steelies and still have a hard time. Totally agree. I was just having some fun with it.
  10. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    yes they do suck. try an old school yarn indicator. not premade, just a hunk o yarn separated and clove hitched into leader. doesent kink, easily adjustable,stealthy, and casts soooo much nicer. lightest alternative yhere is, and can be lifted off the water for tightline drifts. i use it for all but the heaviest rigs, and for that baloons. but its still a bobber.:)
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,501 / 9
    I chucked a 6" long 2" diameter steelhead float with my spey rod and a skagit line just to prove it could be done. Dang near crapped myself when it was bobber down time.
  12. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +772 / 0
    Hey you guys. I would like to lock this thread. I didn't know fly fishing with an indicator was offensive. I AM SO SORRY!

Please. Please. Please. Stop with this tired old debate. Indicator racism hurts everyone. I was born to nymph. I can't change it.
  13. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +883 / 1
  14. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Maybe this is what you want.
  15. flyfx David Spratt

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  16. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0

Now those are cool, but do they kink the leader? Also I use furled leaders, will they work?
  17. flyfx David Spratt

Sammamish, WA
    They don't kink nearly as bad as the bobbers (which drives me nuts!) and they only do if you cinch them down with the ends pointed up to get the 90 degree dropper. I have not tried them with furled leaders yet.. but i bet they would work even better as they would not slide at all on the line. I just set up my trout rods with furled leaders for the first time to get ready to float the Yakima this spring - I'll be trying them out for sure. These little guys are all I use now unless I am using the centerpin.
  18. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Thanks, they look great! I will have to give them a try. You will have to try one of my leaders someday.
  19. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +169 / 0
    Harry Murray indicators.Just a sleeve on your leader. Fished these for smallmouth in the 90's. Work great for steelhead and the thill ice fishing balsa for larger nymphs.
  20. flyfx David Spratt

Sammamish, WA
    I will try your leaders, I have bookmarked you blog. thanks! I have never used one so I am excited to see how they act. Happy New Year.