Thinamabobbers kind of suck. What's better?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chixnribs New Member

Sonoma, CA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I swiped this from Kiene's site. Might be helpful.

Insta-Set Indicators have again been selected as one of the best new fly fishing gear accessories for 2011. Earlier this year they were selected by Field & Stream Magazine as the best fly fishing accessory of the year and featured it in their "Best Of The Best" issue. I am also happy to announce that Fly Fisherman magazine has selected Insta-Set Indicators as the most versatile strike indicator in their annual Gear issue that is on the news stands now.

If you don't already stock Insta-Set now is the time to do so as your customers are sure to be asking
    about them. They are available from most of the wholesale distributors. For more information about
    their unique features log on to

http://california-flyfishing.com/instaset.htm.
  2. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    It's pretty dam clear by the number of responses that this forum is not made up of a bunch of panty-waist dry fly purists. There's no way this post gets 7 pages on an east coast forum ;)

This also speaks to the fact that you subscribe to the rule that fish feed subsurface 90+ % of the time. Still, don't you feel just a little bit dirty doing so?
  3. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +107 / 0
    maybe so, but this is 7 pages of whats the latest gimmick i can buy, not 7 pages of how can i nymph better. i guess thats another thread. now, how bout we take a lesson from the kiwis, and grab some wool off a fence, and work on the "game" then maybe no one will make fun of nymphing.
  4. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    I love catching fish on a bobber. I have since I was 7. Those who don't are missing out in MY opinion.
  5. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    I need to start pinching my barbs, you guys are way too easy to hook.
  6. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +107 / 0
    its funny how a thread like this can show what has become of a once noble pursuit. and that pursuit did include nymphing, long before anyone heard of a thingamagimmick. maybe someone is interested in removing the training wheels, and nymphing sans bobber?
  7. Johnvl New Member

Lake Oswego , oregon
    Jesse, I made the oblong balloons that we discussed to go on the valved, Skru-on post. I posted a picture on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/Skru.it1 of them blown up to different sizes. Check them out and let me know what you think and make suggestions. I will tweak if neccessary and send them to you to try. Maybe we are on to something....

John
  8. Johnvl New Member

Lake Oswego , oregon
    Jesse, sorry, when you go to www.facebook.com/Skru.it1 it goes to my personal page. When you get there look on the left margin and click on the DEPTH SKRU link under PAGES and it will go to our "bobber" page wall
  9. landlocked New Member

altamont, Utah
    My buddy distributes these slip strike indicators here in Utah...I haven't used anything but these now for 2 years. Had same frustration with Thingamabobbers. The only downside of these is when you are using very small flies. But for lakes or streams, this is what I carry now.

I think there are several western distributers or more for these. If you can't find them, send me a message and I'll send you his email.

EDIT-wholly crap this thing is 8-pages long! Didn't see that up front, and apologies if this is a re-run on slip strikes (which I'm sure it is now). But I'm not going to read all of it, because when you bash bobbers you are bashing the United States of America!
  10. Johnvl New Member

Lake Oswego , oregon
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,034 / 1
    I started using the slip bobbers shown two posts above. Blue sent some along with her flies in the blooded midge swap. Better than the thingamabobber in my opinion.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I was using a balloon as a bobber once and I caught a small RB. His teeth left imprints in the Balloon. Enough said
  13. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I just tried these a few days ago. They do seem to kink the line and don't seem like they would work with furled leaders. http://california-flyfishing.com/instaset.htm
  14. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Thanks for the report. I have been looking at those, but I will pass. I have several sizes of the slip indicators. They are the same ones Rowley and Chan use.
  15. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    I have some sample Sku-it floats that I have not used. They seem to be the color shades that mimic thingemabobers which are difficult to see by those of us who are visually challenged and over 60. Until the Sku-it prove to be better I live with Roley Quic release floats that are easy to see except in "gray light" which is very tough for any float.
  16. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I have always thought BLACK would be a good color on brite days with a lot of clouds. I like the Orange, and Pink in the slip dicators
  17. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Go to walmart, buy the smallest white and red bobbers you can find, and use them...i kinda got tired of the LL Bean models on the north shore lake L, with all their snobbiness. On my second trip i would plop one of those on the water, i would get a look like i just stole their dog, i'd simply say hows mine different than yours.:)
  18. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0
    i like fish pimps get them on flyshack
  19. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Those are all good on up to 10' leaders, but longer I like the slip.
  20. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Wash your mouth out! Thing-a-ma-bobbers are awesome!