Things are slowing down

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I'm with you Larry. A nice 12lber would be nice. Or maybe even 2 nice 12 lbers?
  2. Jered Active Member

Kitsap Side
    Ratings: +70 / 0

I decided to go with a more 'classic' theme...
    TMNT.jpg

Purdy fish.
    plaegreid, mtskibum16, Fishee and 2 others like this.
  3. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Now that is one awesome basket!:)
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    Yeah, my 6-year old grandson would go nuts over that basket! He eats, lives and breathes the Turtles!!
    Jered likes this.
  5. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    This weather pattern that we are in right now promises to hold through the weekend and well into next week anyway. We are enjoying some of the mildest and most enjoyable fishing conditions imaginable for this time of year. Truly an "Indian Summer". This may have a lot to do with how well the fishing is going region wide right now. That and the recent rains that brought new life to our rivers. A full moon in the offing has tweaked the tides nicely too. Go enjoy it while it lasts! http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
    ten80 and Alexander like this.
  6. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Hit the beach in MA9 the last two days. Saturday I lost one right at the beach early on then landed another a bit later and had one other good hit. It was great seeing Stonefish and DimeBrite out there. This morning I went 1 for 1. Nice buck around 6ish lbs and it was one hot fish! It took a few nice runs before I got it on the beach with an assist from DimeBrite. What a great way to (possibly) end the season. Each of the last few times out I say it's the last, but I can't quite seem to stop and the fish keep coming!
    DimeBrite likes this.
  7. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Forgot the picture.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382305514.217176.jpg
    Gobstopper and dryflylarry like this.
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +960 / 4
    Nice work this morning, Matt. Was nice to see all the guys out.

That was a damned hot fish, if only you didn't have to fight it like an "idiot" LOL
  9. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +258 / 0
    Well done Matt, both Saturday and Sunday. Not a ton of silvers around today, but enough to delay my retirement. I had the world's longest hook-set this morning, which was pretty crazy. You never know when a school of big silvers might come into the beach. Always good to fish with you guys.

A touch of bronze on the silvers from this weekend means it's wrapping up. Still, a couple were stuffed with juvenile herring.
  10. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Totally! Drags are for sissies. Next time I'll bring my 10 wt and 30 lb leader so I can handle the fish to Herring Dan's standards. Also, I'm not sure why I took a picture of that "tiny little thing."
  11. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    So mtskibum16 any hints on a hot pattern to try?
  12. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Great work, Matt.

I've got a few more trips up my sleeve in the next couple weeks. Hoping to get a little action on the other side.

I did manage to get a pretty fresh hatchery hen in the river on Saturday, which was a nice change from not catching shit in ages.

Half of her is in the smoker now, and she's looking mighty tasty.

Jason
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,169 / 1
    Tim, Matt & Nick,
    Good fishing with you guys today. Good job putting sone fish on the beach.
    I had some chances this weekend but couldn't close the deal. Mark one in the win column for the fish.
    The bites have gotten even softer softer then last weekend. Maybe another week or so then it will be time to start thinking chums.
    SF
  14. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Chartreuse over pink clouser for me. The exact one I posted in the tying section recently. Dime was using pink over white for the ones he caught I think. The fish Saturday were stuffed with bait (herring?) so it seems they're still feeding so use whatever has been working for ya.
  15. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Thanks. What has been working for me is easy. Tie 2 ft of 20lb Maxima on fly line add 4 feet of 15 lb maxima to end, tie on something does not matter what. Throw at salt water strip line and enjoy the world of nature around you. Who could ask for more? I take it Dan the herring guy was telling you to "back up onto the beach and get your fish in so the rest or us can fish, if you get up on the beach the silver will follow you"?
  16. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +142 / 0

yep, happens to me a lot...I've lost a lot of absolute toads...

cool report, btw.
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Darn you guys! I was out Thursday evening and fished til dark. No one tagged a thing. No fish came close to shore either. Convince me to get back out there! No need, guess I'll hit it again...grrrrrrrrrrrr
  18. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 1
    awesome.
  19. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    I've gotten out to a new (to me) beach on the West side of the sound the last couple days. Monday morning, hooked one of the hottest fish I've gotten in the salt. Took a couple of great runs then broke me off. I was shaking after that fish, to the point where I had a hard time tying on another leader. Had a couple other hits and missed strikes. Overall a nice morning, even though I didn't get any on the beach.

I'll be sticking with it. I figure it's about time for chum, no reason to stop now. Then I'm just going to take to take this waking up early momentum straight into winter and start spending mornings before work on the river not catching steelhead.

Ah, living the life.

J
  20. Dan-O New Member

Tukwila, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Just got back from LP, nothin at all touched my line except seaweed here and there. There was just two gear guys on the beach with me and both left before me with empty pockets. I might try to get out again next week.