NFR Think Back 30,000 Years Ago...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Apr 1, 2012.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    JE likes this.
  2. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Pretty cool historical record of critters from way back when. The article refers to predatory rhinos - is that legit?
  3. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +600 / 0
    Wow...that's right about the time of Old Man's golden youth (or at least several decades before he retired to Montana).........when things were FREE in the state of Washington, and you could fish right in front of other people's caves (and they would just wave at you)!
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    Take a bite out of my ass. You old fart.
  5. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +600 / 0
    Nope...I've seen my raggedy old ass in the mirror, and I'm pretty sure yours looks even worse.
  6. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    I believe so. Hard to think of that up there in Europe. I watched a documentary on this cave this week. It was discovered in 1994. I was totally intrigued. 30,000 years ago!!! Nobody is hardly interested on this site on the NFR topic. I suppose I could have posted some stupid thing about "GUNS", and there would be ten pages of comments... :p
  7. jmeti000 Member

vancouver, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    HEY!!! I remember painting those back in my youth...surely they gotta be worth more now than that silly canoe I traded the cave for. I better give them a call lol.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I have seen some rock paintings here is SW Montana. They were painted under a rock overhang not to far from Silver Star. The rock is slowly falling apart. But I don't believe that they are that old. It just looked like somebody stuck their finger in some coloring and put some lines on a rock.

Could be a hoax. It's just to much in the open.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    I have seen some paintings on bridge undersides. I don't know how old they are. Probably not 30K.
  10. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    Were they paintings of predatory Rhinos? SWF adds from Forks?
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I do believe that the SWF from Forks was a predatory Hippo, and not a Rhino. Don't ask me how I know this. I am trying to forget.

12. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    You guys are quite perceptive. She kinda would "pass" for a cavewoman!
  13. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Now that right there, is funny. :D
  14. JE Active Member

Great NW
    She would have been extremely desirable as a mate from an evolutionary standpoint 30,000 years ago.
  15. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Werner Herzog's film about the Chauvet Cave paintings was astounding to say the least. I think I watched it three times. I still think about what I saw on those walls. The sophistication of the art on the cave walls shows us that in some ways man has not advanced very far in the last 30,000 years.

I know its asking a lot but for those who can sit through and enjoy a movie without lots of car crashes and guns its a must see. It also helps to be able to remember and think about stuff that happened over an hour ago.

DRL - You could have mentioned bow hunting in the title of your post to draw more interest.

TC
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  16. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Larry,
    Just watched 'Cave of Forgotten Dreams' on Netflix. Amazing. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.
    -JE
  17. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Yeah, well that was then, this is now.

LB
  18. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Right on. That's the movie I watched. Awesome. I can imagine walking through that cave in another world. Glad you saw the documentary.