thinking about a new camp stove

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Sagebrush, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    My wife wants to get rid of our old propane Coleman camp stove. Its 18 years old and has seen better days. We were looking at the camp chef Teton or maybe the Everest. The main difference seems to be the BTU's. Teton at 10,000 per burner, and Teton at 20,000 per burner. Is the 20,00 really needed?
    And by the way, why does no one put levelers on camp stoves? Hate having my eggs slide to one end.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +688 / 5
    You want the 20k burners. Especially if you plan to boil or do perc coffee. I'd also suggest getting the bulk tank adapter to go with it. It is amazing the cooking difference. Especially when you want to sear some steaks on the grill. The 10k will get you by fine but that umph of the bigger burners makes a BIG difference when heating up coffee or hot water.

And most don't put levelers on stoves. I'm assuming its a mixture of added costs and usually (and stress usually) you can find a level place to cook. I have a table that has adjustable legs that solves that problem for me.
  3. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    That makes sense. I see the biggest advantage for us would be heating water faster, especially dishes as it sometimes takes forever especially if you got a bunch. I use a aluminum Italian coffee maker, makes a little over a cup at a time. Suits me fine as I am the only coffee drinker in the family. Does make great coffee.
    We have always used the picnic tables at the campgrounds and they are not always level. I never brought an additional table as space was a premium in the back of the pick up truck. I might consider it now though since just got one of those small utility trailers for our camping gear and pontoons.
    Thanks
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Oh my tables are rollup style. Take up less room them a folding chair.
  5. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I was wondering what type of rollup style table you use? I've only seen the nrs roll-a-tables.
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Same ones. Company I used to deliver to makes them for NRS. Made by Travelchair.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I just checked, NRS doesn't carry them anymore. They have the actual "roll a table" I think it is now. Used to have TC there. This is the one I have (Cabelas sells them too).
    [IMG]
  8. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    isn't the ability to simmer more important than the "after burner"?

I think so anyway.

Our stove is just about done as it's already had new burners and a paint job...in 20+ years of service so I've been looking too. Seems like there's about 2 stoves with 10 different brand names on them.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Paul 20k isn't an afterburner. My 60,000 BTU burner is an afterburner (and sounds like one too). My actual stoves are all 30,000 BTU and have no problem going from boiling to simmer. The burners are adjustable. So I know with the turn of a knob I can go from low heat to hot fast. Its nice having ability to do a fast pot of coffee or water. Or if you want to do a small boil. As most of you probably know I do a lot of outdoor cooking. I prefer my standard 30k for coffee. Its a lot faster to perc. I can do it with a 20k, just takes a tad longer.

I'm actually thinking of getting a couple Everests. One to keep in my driftboat and one to keep for a travel kit.
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Thought I'd add this. This is my current "in boat" setup. So want something a little smaller. LOL.

[IMG]
  11. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Sierra trading post has the tables often and we've been using an extra table just for the cooking for years now as those picnic tables just about only hold the seating and eating set ups.I have the half size propane tank and it sure works well. Not near as fat and takes llittle space under the table. OUr camp stove is a three burner Primus that we bought from Sears about 40 years ago but I'm sure has very little use compared to yours. WE were in the sierras whe the O-ring sealing the feul from the tank hose to the stove cracked and flared up but we were able to use the one far burner waithout the flames And since we had planned very simple cooking it was no problem. Still good and now I carry a few more Parts.
  12. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    In looking at these stoves at the store, we really liked how they seemed to be able to turn the knobs to a small degree without creep back. Using it in real life is the only way to tell for sure though. One issue we always had with the old Coleman was the inability to make small adjustments to keep something simmering or just warm. And if you were able to get it right, the knob would creep up burning your food.
  13. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    Sage,

As that is my issue as well I'd be interested in what you find out in real world use. I need more low control than high speed boil with my camp stove.

For a table I've been using one of the 4' lifetime tables from Costco. I think a roll up would be neat but then I look at the fact that the costco one fits perfectly on edge right up against my truck cab taking up two inches of space and it seems tough to beat that.
  14. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    I bought the Everest today, and will fire it up later this evening off of a small propane bottle. I have a 1.5 gallon tank we usually use, but need to get it filled up again. So far it looks real nice, and has a clean aluminum finish on top, which our Coleman did not, which was always a pain for clean up. I bought the Everest mainly due to the ability to quickly heat up water for washing dishes. Otherwise it looks identical to the Teton.
    But I hear you on the low control, the old Coleman was pretty frustrating on that.
    We'll stay with the picnic tables as we usually put up a canopy for sun/rain and its nice to under that
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I think that's an issue that's been solved on alot of appliances. I've had my older Colemans do the same thing. Why I never left the stoves while cooking. :) I was hoping to have one by now, but have other toys from Camp Chef I want more. :) But I'll still check it out too. But so far all the different appliances I've had from them, they've all held at thier temp without variation of the knob. So don't see this being much different.
  16. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    we set up the stove this morning, its a little bigger tan my old Coleman and will require some better packing in the action packer we use for the kitchen equipment while camping. Shouldn't be a big deal though. The bottle went on smoothly, fired up the piezo ignition, no more matches! Played around for a little bit and found that we could get and hold low heat easily, no creep. Full blast is very high from what we are used to and should heat water much quicker. Cooked
    some eggs for breakfast and again heat was steady, no creep. we are very impressed and pleased with this purchase.
  17. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    Man, just looking at the pitch on the camp chef site about not heating up the house by using one of these instead of the kitchen stove for canning reminds me of how much I want one. To say nothing of, you know, using them for camping.

I love the food that my wife cans. But the process turns our house into a sauna at the worst time of year.
  18. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
    I've have a 3 burner Camp Chef I bought about 10 years ago. When we do the big family camp outs or cook outs the thing has become an absolute necessity. All I can say is get one. We will use it tomorrow as we are having quite a few over for the show. Two barbies, one smoker and the Camp Chef should provide enough cooking surface for the entire crew. The crab cooker also if someone shows up with crab and or shrimp.

I have a couple of smaller 2 burner propane stoves and one old timer white gas stove I use when I camp by myself. I like to use the old time white gas stove once in awhile for nostalgic reasons. Something about pumping up that old stove that causes me to recall camping with my family 50 years ago.
  19. FLGator Member

PNW
    Know you mentioned sticking with picnic tables, but wanted to add my two cents on tables.

FWIW I had the table mentioned in the photograph earlier and it worked great...to a point. The elastic broke. I tried to re-string the elastic with the spacers (at least the ones I was able to find and pick-up to save) and it didn't work. This failue rendered the table borderline useless and made me start researching and figuring out what I needed for a replacement.

I switched to a Roll-a-table and it's been fantastic. In fact, I now own two and they serve their purpose very well.
  20. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    I can say that the only disappointing thing about the stove is that it will not fit in my action packer.