Thinking about a swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I got my new rotary vise. Thinking about a swap, mine you have not tied one yet. What are your thoughts? I was thinking either a leech pattern or maybe a soft hackle.

Daryle
  2. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I reckon I could use some new ideas for soft hackles, I don't fish 'em much. It seems like a lost art of sorts. They used to be one of the staples of flyfishing. I would consider it, depending on when you do it and when flies are due, becuase I will be separated from my tying supplies for a while in late december.
  3. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I still fish them quite often and they produce great for me.
  4. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    im in if your going to do it which i think you should, another type of fly swap someone should do before they start planting trout in the spring is a pellet fly swap. They sound like they would do pretty good on hatchery trout.
  5. SpokaneFisherman Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    So it seems like this is shaping up to be a Soft Hackle swap? You can count me in. :p
  6. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Trout990, GRHE tied fat with a brownish dubbing works great as a pellet fly. I haven't got time for another swap before January. Tying a box of flies for our club banquet again. Will be free for one due in February though.
  7. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    A stupid question, Soft Hackles are flies typically tied with moving water in mind, or to be trolled slowly? Or on a swing in a river, I have tied a few, they arent difficult, but the ones you often here about are the Carey Special, ect.
    Anyone have a resource for reading about use and technique?? River fishing in particular?

Respectfully
    Earl