Thinking about getting into Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Bagman, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    " If I fish for two hrs and hurt for 4 days what's the fun in that."

Exactly. That's why becoming a decent caster is so beneficial to our long term enjoyment of fishing.

Sg

Ian Broadie likes this.
  2. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I have been trying to become a good caster. I'm not sure what you mean a decent caster. Ed has been the only one to step up and try and help me. As I have no friends in WA. I would have to pay someone to teach me. Fly fishing has cost me a lot of money not knowing what I'm doing, as far as equipment goes.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Bagman,

Decent is a relative term. I guess I'd place it at being able to cast proficiently without seeming like I'm working at it. If you're working at it, you're more likely to be straining joints and tendons that result in hurting for four days afterward.

As far as stepping up to help you learn, from what I know of folks on this forum, there are plenty who would do so. But somewhere between few and none of us know that, a. you need and want help; and b. where the hell are you? I'm not gonna' drive across the state to help someone because it's not a reasonable thing for me to do. Let your needs be known in a way that is inviting to those who are most able to help you out. Tell the forum, a. what you want; b. your location; and c. if you bring beer, lunch, Scotch, etc. This ain't rocket science.

Good luck, and I hope you make progress with your casting. Life will be so much better.

Sg

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Bagman, not only is this place surrounded by lovely beaches with good access and fishing prospects, it also has a wealth of knowledgable and helpful fly anglers. Post up when you are heading out. Folks will envy your schedule in retirement, but a few will come out to play. Each will have way more to offer than I, even if you just take a few moments of break to watch them cast. You may think our weather cold, but our community is much warmer.

Dipnet likes this.
  5. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Good point. I'm going about this all wrong. I was just talking to my wife and she said the same thing. If you were in Santa Cruz and put the word out you needed some help they would be standing in line to help you. So. I will supply Scotch, hot coffee, Brandy. Sorry no smoke I gave that up many years ago.

By the way I'm in Poulsbo. Im retired and as long as my wife says its OK I can fish any time. I'm willing to drive to meet you. Unless your in Idaho that is. Every time I go out I'm watching all of the other fly fishermen around me. Trying to pick up any pointers, that they may drop. I'm sorry I will quit wineing. I will figure this out on my own. Thanks Ed.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    There is a time and place to go to Idaho. I'll let you know if I get some time to fish. I'm local.

7. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I've never met Ed in person, but he has been extremely helpful on line---and the best part is he doesn't find it necessary to insult you for asking a question and seeking to improve your skills or be better informed before making a purchase.---Welcome to the area and if you ever come to the dry side of the state, drop me a note and I will try to meet up with you and have some fun.

8. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Cmann886. TK. I will keep that in mind. Your right on about Ed his is a good guy.

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    With all due respects I would suggest that you get good diagnostic help and treatment for the elbow problem before it gets worse. Good casting with any type of rod and line system will not induce and injury. And it is true that a two-handed rod an make the job much easier as you divide the work between hands and employ the leverage of a longer rod. Yet most of the coho will be caught very close to shore on the saltwater beaches, and often a single handed rod and roll cast, or a single handed spey cast will suffice.

10. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I have had some good Diagnostic help an have been told that I'm laying my elbow back way too far. Which more then likely is the cause of my pain. I need to spend more time on the grass with someone watching. My wife can do this I just need to tell her what to look for. I had her watching me up untel it turned off cold. Now she is not very interested in going out side.

11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

See if you can find any Lefty Kreh casting vids, or dvds at your local library. Get your wife to watch them with you. Then she will know what to look for.

12. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Good idea. Thank you.

13. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    This will only work if your wife knows how to teach this form of casting.

14. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    You should be able to get 2hrs of instruction for $100 or so. Would be the best $100 you'd spend and the cheapest solution to your issues. A spey rod + line is going to run you $300 if you get an outrageous deal but probably closer to $500. If a single hand overhead cast is causing problems I'm guessing you'll find spey casting equally frustrating at best and you'll be in a similar boat (perhaps your elbow won't be sore but your face will be if you hook it).

The best reason to start spey casting is because you're fishing in situations where it's of benefit... namely limited space for overhead casting. Otherwise, once a fish is on the other end of your line it's generally more fun on a single hander. At least in my very limited experience.

15. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I have my wife video me. I have gone thru a class, so I know how to cast correctly I just don't do it correctly. As a baseball player and throwing many pitches over 7 years it is very hard to not. 1 bend my elbow 2. Not follow through 3. Scratch my balls in between casts.

16. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

A trick that I found helpful was learn to cast with the "off" hand. This eliminates memory muscle. It forces you to concentrate on what you have been taught. Lock the wrist, start slow, stop & wait for the back cast to straighten, keep your arm in tight to the body, forward cast to a positive stop, follow through. All of that stuff you've been taught. The brain commands, the arm obeys the command because it knows no other way. Give it a try.

Bagman likes this.
  17. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Guess I don't know what the "off" hand is? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Keeping the arm tight to the chest is one of the technics I have seen that feels like it will work for me.

18. Ed Call

Media:
    If you cast with your left arm normally, your off hand would be your right.
    If you cast with your right arm normally, your off hand would be your left.

Great point from the distinguished gentleman from the State of Jefferson above! Sometimes relearning on the other side of the body is better than retraining the side that has the muscle memory ingrained. A sports related right shoulder injury caused me to relearn a lot of things left handed. Possibly the most interesting thing that ever happended to me from a dexterity standpoint.

19. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

TK Ed. That's kinda what I thought it was but I was not sure. I will give it a try. I started batting switch when I about 15. I did not have as much power from the left side but the swing was good. Since you don't need power in fly casting it just may end up even better. If it works out I will have to learn how to change my reels around which shouldnt be all that hard.

20. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Interesting... one of the most helpful threads I've encountered in a while. Perhaps when we take the fish out of things people seem to be better able to remain polite and respectful? At any rate, having had three cortisone shots in each elbow years ago, and experiencing the occasional "twinge;" my experience tracks with Salmo G's position on "decent" casting, and on the key role that good form/mechanics play in effective and pain-free casting that others have made. I've had far fewer elbow problems since picking up the two-hander several years ago, and the better my mechanics get, the farther, easier, and more pain free is my casting.

Bagman likes this.