thinking bout building a Z axis spey rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Michael Thompson, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i have built four single handed rods already, and was very pleased with the way they turned out, now im highly considering getting the 8 weight 12'9" z axiz blank, but every time i start to order it i break out into a cold sweat. thats a lot of cash to spend on something i may or may not mess up!
    what im looking to do is go all out and make my own grips and upgrade the strippers and what not (i have been using kits so far) are there any major differences/problems that arise when doing a spey rod vs a single hander? is there anyone who has built one of these rods that would have done things differently on their next rod? any and all help will be greatly appreciated as always, this site and the people here rock!:thumb:
  2. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Reaming cork on spey grips is a pain in the ass, but that's the only real difference. That and there's a little bit more wrapping.
    -Ethan
  3. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    so why is the reaming harder? xtra length and bigger bore?
  4. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Yeah, if you are turning your own cork you'll either ream each ring individually and glue them onto the blank then turn or you can glue them up on a threaded rod and turn them there, then ream and glue to the blank. I used a preformed grip on my cheapy spey and it was hard to find a reamer that was big enough and long enough. If you are gluing the cork before you glue it to the blank or using a preformed grip, it is also a lot harder ream a straight bore through.
    -Ethan