This is getting out of hand (rant) :-p

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kaiserman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    This is ridiculous! My A.A.D.D (Adult Attention Deficit Disorder) is killing me!

Why can't I just stick with tying a pattern more than once? I get started on a pattern, and think of ways to "improve" it... then start the next fly, and on and on!

I now have 57 different patterns, of which 3 are duplicates. <- And that's only because I forgot that I already tied one! I love/hate fly tying!!! :p

I don't have this problem tying other bugs (drys, buggers, nymphs), but I know exactly what to tie, because I've caught fish on them. But this Chromie thing is killing me.

I know what I need to do, is just catch fish on a few patterns (like the others) and just stick with it.

It reminds me of back when I first started tying steelhead patterns 14 yrs ago. In the first year, 250 different flies, of which I only use 4 now, depending on where I'm at.

Somebody please tell me I'm not alone or going crazy :D. It sure is fun, but good grief!

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I would not suggest you go into production fly tying :)

I do the same thing but I at least tie 10 or so of the original pattern before I start mutating the sucker...

Kaiserman likes this.
  3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I only tie one or two different chironomids patterns, but in four or five color variations. I try to keep them simple so I can try to crank em out as fast as I go through them.

4. randy campbell

randy campbell kackhanded

You're not alone, I do the same thing. I've been tying steelhead flies for about 20 years now and still do it. It's probably because steelhead flies are so much more non specific than trout flies, which allows the tier to be more creative. I've been laid off since November and have spent a good part of my time tying for winter steelhead. I tied about 30 different patterns before coming up with one that I really like. I took that one fly down to the Spokane river which is very close to where I live just to tie it on and see how well it swims. Being happy with the results, I then went to work producing several flies in about 4 different color combos. I have confidence they will work. Hopefully I will find out in the next week. Most people probably think I'm crazy, and I do have too much time on my hands. Time spent at the vise can't hurt. Always room for improvement when it comes to tying skills. Most guys say that with steelhead, the fly doesn't matter. I agree with that statement only to a certain point. I have confidence in the flies I'm fishing, and that's an important factor.

5. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Join a fly swap! That is the only time I can kick out a lot of the same pattern. It is amazing how much better your patterns look after yout tie 15 of something.

Also whenever I decide to tie a new pattern I put out 2 or three hooks so I tie at least 2 or 3 of each pattern.

But yea, we all do that.

Wayne

6. randy campbell

randy campbell kackhanded

Oh, I forgot to mention in my last post. Don't forget, this is a sickness.

7. Kaiserman

I think I can, I think I can... :)

Both of you guys have the luxury of having caught fish on your patterns. I've never fished with these things yet, but I am going to do my best to stay focused. :confused:

Believe it or not, the thing that seems to hang me up the most consistently, is whether or not to tie them with a bead or not. <- Then, should I do white, or black? As a fly tier, I over think things too much... I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I miss the days of being able to put all of my wet flies into one box.

I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I miss the days of being able to put all of my wet flies into one box.

8. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

K'man, its OK to be crazy. Rest assured you are not alone.

Kaiserman likes this.
  9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You tie some with beads and some without. If you're hung up on the metal bead color, use the same approach. Tie a few with black beads, some with gold colored beads and toss all your other colored beads out the window... you don't need them.:)

Kaiserman likes this.
  10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    And don't forget about the new anodized tungsten beads out there . . .shiny red, brown, blue . . .you need them all.

I started actively tying and fishing 'mids around 8 years ago. I find myself tying up a big batch every other year. It takes me several seasons to find the perfect conditions for testing the new ones and confirming the effectiveness of the old standbys. I don't fish them every trip. But don't leave home without 'em.

Irafly and Kaiserman like this.
  11. Kaiserman

Yeah Gene, I only use nickle and white right now, though I do have gold and black too. The white (pearl) ones are actually plastic beads (3mm) from Hobby Lobby.

280 beads, for $1.47 - that ain't bad. :)

12. Kaiserman

TP, those are the ones I use (tungsten). Allen Fly Fishing had a killer deal on them a couple months ago - 25 for $2.57!!! Needless to say, but I bought a few bags.

troutpocket likes this.
  13. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Last spring I picked up a package of Stillwater Solutions midge gill. It's a four-strand bright white soft twine that you can make really sparse by stripping down to a single strand or bulk up by using more. I really like it when I want to put the gills straight out over the hook eye. The white (not pearl!) beads are really convenient but don't always work. Why? Ask the fish.

14. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

You need a therapist or go and buy a new vise and more material. Both will help. :)

Michael v.d.Bogert and Kaiserman like this.
  15. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I guess you just diagnosed me with ADD also. I don't like sitting down and tying a dozen of just one thing. I'll do it say if I'm going chronie fishing tomorrow and know a certain color/size is best.

16. Kaiserman

The fun thing is, after 28 yrs of fly fishing... I'm venturing into the unknown (for me).

It's kind of exciting to try a completely different style of fishing, tying different bugs, etc where I know just about zilch. It reminds me of when I first started fly fishing, everything was new.

Now it sort of starts all over again, and I'm loving it. It's nice, now and then, to "stumble into passion with" a pastime that has consumed a part of me.

:eek: - :)

17. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Did I miss something???? What do you mean completely different style of fishing??? Have you taken up Stillwater fishing or something different than the normal moving water venue?

18. Kaiserman

Not sure what you're getting at Gene, or maybe I didn't express it right...

I use to be an almost exclusively river fisherman, meaning I'd fish lakes two or three times before the rivers settled down. When I did fish lakes, it was cast and strip, cast and strip... That would get me through my "fix". Then it was on to the rivers. Never spent enough time to try and figure out what it took to "dial" a lake in. I wasn't going to be spending enough time on them to really care.

Did that make sense?

19. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

So you're comparing the patterns you use for rivers vs lakes?

20. Kaiserman

No, I just have never tied chromies before. No comparison on the flies (although most are different), just the style/type of fishing. I've targeted rivers most of my life, and now I'm focusing on lakes for the first time. The styles of fishing the two, are radically different in my opinion.