This just drives me nuts...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Upton O, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Friday I was hunting with a buddy who is an expert waterfowl hunter. He brings birds into the decoys, bam, bam, bam...I can't hit my butt with either hand. Today, I'm hunting with a novice hunter and I'm the expert. I bring birds into the decoys and I literally cannot miss. I can't tell anything different that I'm doing except that today the birds just folded if I even looked at them. I shot three doubles today: two drake mallards, two drake widgeon, and a pair of teal that were screaming left to right across the decoys, stoned both of them, bam, bam. This just makes me nuts. I was so confident today, I let the other guy shoot and shoot and when he finally got his last bird and it was time to leave I just picked out my last duck out of a flock of pintails I and dumped it. And my mind will not let it alone.

2. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Pressure.com!

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Congrats, Karl! You had "A Day." I made a "one-hander" on a surprise & overly-nervous Rooster yesterday . . . flushed while my back was turned, right-to-left in high wind . . . right hand never did catch-up with the forend of my Montifeltro. Had I expired then, I would have died happy (and Hank was PERFECT, all day!).

Upton O likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    some days you're on and some days you're not. It happens. Friday was a day of misses for me. The Tuesday before I hit every one. It's just timing.

Oh, and every day out is a good one.

5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Have had the same thing happen when fishing.

6. ribka

ribka Active Member

Circadian rhythms

My DI in Army Basic stated to me rather eloquently
    when I shot a perfect score on the rifle range

" Boy you just went From Shit to sugar"

Occasionally still experience those "sugar" days in my life

Treasure them

7. Upton O

Home Page:
    Jim, congrats on the one-handed rooster. I've never done anything like that. I am glad I had the "sugar day", Ribka, the hunting area is now under about 8' of water. It went from 10 inches of water to 8' in less than 12 hours. Geez, second time in a month we're flooded out again. Blinds are taking a real beating in the current, I'm hoping we don't lose another one. What a year, I've had three days where things were right to hunt ducks and then this weather screws things up. Earlier, the geese get here the day before the first season closes and then they leave five days after it re-opens. Now the flooding. Wet side hunting.

Oh, Ribka, I was in the Air Farce, our DI's were just focused on us not shooting each other on the range. Saw it almost happen, scared the crap out of me. Seriously.

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug! I had one like that on valley quail years ago. Made a snap shot on one bird off to my right, then out of the corner of my eye, saw another heading straight for me through the crotch of a tree. I swung the butt of the 20bore up to my face as a reflex action, and cold cocked the bird about a foot from my face. he dropped at my feet, I reached down and snapped his neck. At that point I hear my hunting partner say sorta under his breath; "Holy shit!". I wasn't gonna upset his perception:D

Upton O likes this.
  9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Alex, I'm not sure that's sporting, but it is funny as hell...:D Schwing, batta, batta...

10. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Ah, some days you eat the bear.....

Family needs and weather keeping me in this year...I'm hoping for the future, and a day like you've had....either one, at this point... Enjoy it.

11. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Upton O, Have you tested yourself for dominate eye? If you shoot right handed and your dominate eye is the left eye or via versa.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

practice, practice, practice
    I don't miss as long as I find the target down the barrel.

13. Upton O

Home Page:
    Yup, the eyes have been tested and I've had some expert shooting instruction and those are two excellent suggestions. I'm starting to think it has to do with being rested and relaxed. And I haven't been shooting skeet as much as I have in years past, either. I definitely will increase my practice.

I have also come to a point in my life where it isn't so necessary to get up at 4:00 a.m., drive 100 miles, to struggle in the cold rain, setting out dozens and dozens of decoys and then sit and wait for a duck to shoot. I haven't been hunting in almost four weeks, I think. I do want to walk around and hunt upland birds but my heavy duck hunting drive seems to be gone. There are a lot of things going on right now, I know I'm a bit depressed. I will be going to the skeet range when the weather improves a bit, that isn't too much effort and is a lot of fun. Get through a few things and I'll see if the drive to hunt waterfowl returns.

14. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Upton O, During my formative shotgun shooting years, I was a bad shot. A guy who had won the State trap and skeet competitions for many years took me under his wing. He coached me until I became a mediocre skeet shooter and according to him a very good wing shot. Seven years ago I bought a 16 Ga.#2 AyA and decided to have the gun fitted to me.
    [​IMG]
    The fitter and I hit it off and he shared with me of several ways to improve my shooting skills, one of which is “FOCUS.” The fitter, now retired, was a professional baseball batting coach. When a player was having trouble he would tell the player that they were not focusing and by his definition, focusing was being able to see the stitching on the ball. He told me to focus on a small object across the room until it became as big as a dinner plate. At home, I focused on the small screws attach the light switch plate to the wall. I did this repeatly to no avail. He also told me that the posts at the roadside that often hold mileage markers have rivets and to focus on the rivets. This is not recommended if you are the driver. When we travel across country I drive about 80% of the time, but when she drives. While she was driving, I focused on the rivets and after awhile, I occasionally saw really big rivets. The first time that that happened I was amazed. And then there’s the words of Gene Hill, which goes something like this. I can always tell if a man hunts birds because I see him looking as a bird passes by and sometimes he does a mock shoot with his arms. I’m guilty of the above, but whenever possible I focus on the birds head and often it is as big as a dinner plate. Give FOCUS a try.

15. Upton O

Home Page:
    I think you have made a very important point and that was also the "focus"(pun intended) of the shooting instruction I received. I haven't been shooting enough lately to make a norm out of seeing the head of the duck/goose or the leading edge of a clay target. If I am rested and relaxed and I remember to focus I will probably return to the level of shooting I was once in.