This may be a stupid question, but...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Keith Hunter, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Keith Hunter New Member

North Sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been thinking about getting into rod building for several years now, and I am going to do it. I haven't purchased any blanks or gear, but I do have a few catalogs on the way. I am planning to build a Sage 5 wgt and 4 wgt in the next couple months.

My first question is about finishing. Is it necessary to apply finish over the entire blank or just on the guide wraps? Does it depend on the blank? My Scott rods appear to be finished over the entire blank, but my Loomis GL3's only have finish on the guide wraps. If it depends on the blank, will I want to finish the entire Sage blank?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Keith
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Just the guide wraps...
  3. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hunter: finish on the blank is always put on during the blank manufacturing process, BEFORE the components are wrapped and finally "finished" (i.e. epoxy or other "finish" is applied over the wraps).

If you haven't stocked up on resources yet, I HIGHLY recommend Tom Kirkman's book, Rod-Building Guide. It's extremely well written and is surprisingly concise. The subtitle is something like "Everything you need to know..." and stink if it doesn't live up to the hype! ;) I've got literally dozens of books and other resources and still think this is the best place to turn if you're just starting out.

All the best!
  4. Keith Hunter New Member

North Sound
    Roper and John,

Thanks for the help.

I haven't bought anything yet. I have just ordered the catalogs. I'll certainly buy Tom Kirkman's book.

Take care,
    Keith Hunter
  5. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    i wondered the same thing many years ago. what a relief to only have to finish the wraps ;) i'd recommend a cabelas kit for your first. it can always become your backup. get the SLi and then compare it to someone's sage. you'll be surprised. your first will likely not be perfect but only you will ever see the error(s). Make up your mind before you start to be patient and to rewrap any that get screwed up. :thumb: