This one's for Ira

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Pat Lat, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Ever feel like nymphing beads isn't as much fun after the 23rd fish of the day, but worried that your nympher buddies will make fun of you for trying a more challenging angling technique? well then this fly is for you.
    Now you can have all the same thrill of watching an indicator float down the river, creating great memories with every fish. You'll be all like, "remember that one where the bobber went down" and who could forget that other one where you just saw it slightly pause a bit.....Absolutely riveting.
    With this very specific practitioner on the end of your line no one will ever be able to question whether or not what you do is actually flyfishing since there is no indicator or anything attached to the leader besides the fly. That pink bubble thingamajig attached firmly to the hookshank is what one (me) might call a "no-hackle hi-vis para-post" and is therefore an integral part of the fly. Although some might argue that the bare stinger hook may disqualify the whole thing from being ok in fly fishing only waters, but add a few turns of marabou and a bit of dubbing to that bare hook and it will switch this contraption back into a fly, almost assuredly by magic (or idiocracy), I might add.

Now I already know what your gonna say. Something like "actually I prefer the teardrop shaped indicators so I can see the change in angle, sometimes they just nibble ever so slightly" or something to that effect. Well with the way this fly sits I think if a steelhead so much as sniffs it, you'll get your bobber down visual. Maybe even get to see the fish itself. Besides, it took me a half an hour rummaging through drawers and boxes to find that damn indicator so you get what you get.
    Enjoy
    IMG_8973.JPG

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I don't use beads, ok there was that one time, but that was with a center pin rod. You posted this at 4:39, you need help Pat, you really do.

You know, this might make a great popper in the salt. Something to consider.

By the way, when do I get my new fly?

Eyejuggler, Evan Burck and Pat Lat like this.
  3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Lets go fishing!

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    It really is the future, faux indicatoring.

Irafly likes this.
  5. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Looks like you guys now have something to waste your time on this weekend instead of going fishing...

6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Good one

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Exactly what's needed after the 23rd fish of the day. You could probably fish that thing with a beer in one hand if your "swindicatoring" correctly!

Irafly likes this.
  8. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:

Give "swimphing" a try...http://midcurrent.com/techniques/swimphing-101/. Can't wait to see someone bumbling through this technique on the river.

9. Question do you run the marabou on the inside of the bag? WhaT knot to secure the bag? Do u Palmer the bag? Any tips are appreciated

golfman44 likes this.
  10. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    It keeps its fluffyness better in the bag, but with less movement

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Pat, do you need me to resend you my address, I want my fly. It is mine isn't it? I mean the post does say, "This one is for Ira".

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Ill hand deliver it, meet me in forks:)

Irafly likes this.