This thread has happened before...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    ... and it's going to happen again. Because I've been seeing an increasing amount of this lately.

What is it about putting a spey rod in someone's hand that turns them in to an arrogant, stick-up-the-ass douche? I've always run in to these types on the river, but lately, it seems to be an epidemic where 9 in 10 spey guys I run in to on the river treat me like I shit in their cheerios.

Even though this has always been something I've run in to, I have been noticing it more this year since I took up fishing gear once in a while for salmon, especially when I'm out spending time with my cousin. Today while we were out fishing gear for coho, I made an obvious effort to row my boat away from a spey guy's water, and gave a friendly greeting, only to have my cordial behavior met with a a head shake and blatantly ignoring my greeting. If this was you: Don't get all high and mighty while you're "swinging" your fly in to a redd of stacked up pinks. We may have been chucking hardware, but at least we were being more sporting than you.

This is just one story of many I could tell from just the last month alone. I could write pages upon pages of similar events, but since today's encounter was the one that pushed me over the edge in my patience, I'll just leave it at that.

Fishing a spey rod is far and away my favorite way to enjoy the river. But I'm becoming more embarrassed with each outing thinking I have to be associated with the blatant douchebags who also have taken up the sport.

/end rant

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Funny thing is they come off like holier than though, then you see them on the river and they can't cast worth a shit. The good casters, Ive found are always modest and nice. Probably because they're not threatened.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Honestly, this is about right. Most all the dweebs I encounter can't hardly roll the head out there. I'm half tempted to park the boat, set down my evil gear stick, pick up my spey rod under my seat, and bomb a cast to put them in their place.

4. PT

PT Physhicist

If 9 out of 10 people treat you like shit, maybe it's not them. Just saying.

I had a friend who had 10 jobs in a year and a half. Every time there was an issue it was always the manager/owners fault. At some point you got to ask yourself.......

5. Methow

Methow Active Member

That's why I'm putting a spinning real on mine. Don't want to be stereo typed like the other spey guys.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    If rowing out of the way of their swing, giving them a friendly greeting, and just all around showing 100% river courtesy makes ME the problem, then I've had it all wrong all along.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

Your experience on the water is 1 big reason I've started to zig when others zag. Got too tired of the same old bullshit attitudes that new fly anglers brought to the water. Put a 2 hander in their hands and you definitely have to deal with a whole new level of fisherperson.

Not busting your chops in my earlier post, just pointing out it isn't always the other person.

Always try to communicate with a bank angler before you get down to them. If they just give you the blank stare then go around 'em and smile... If they get pissed, F 'em.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

You are the problem. You're competition. Too many people think you should pull your boat on shore and drag it downstream instead of rowing past them one side or the other.

How was the fishing? Fishing silvers or late pinks? Jigging for 'em?

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Running dick nites for coho. Hooked one and lost it. Then got clobbered by humpies the rest of the day.

I've even had attitude from guys when I've tried to communicate with them about where they want me to put the boat. Seems to happen a lot on the Klick more than anywhere. But the Sky is becoming a dweeb magnet these days too.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Welcome to the club.iagree

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Theres to many goldfish in the goldfish bowl, thats whats wrong

12. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

First - spey rods are for people who don't know how to cast a single hander .

Next , i have been gear fishing drano for about a month trolling and hooking 8 to 15 silvers and chinook a day - some days 20 - with my brother who just went in for a triple bypass at age 54 , when we found out he had to have the operation he wanted to fish everyday he could before the operation . now he is always trying to wave and talk to every fisherman we pass and more then half wouldn't even nod a head . i kept telling him that people here just aren't like that and that we were catching a lot of fish everyday we fished so some would even be pissed we were even fishing .

I don't go around waving and saying hi to everyone and expecting them to jump out of the water and treat me like an old friend . i have the one nod down and that only happens when someone nods or waves to me . its just not reality for me to think everyone is friendly and should heed all my waves or the old "how you doing" i guess one of the reasons i'm like this is i don't need anyone else's help with fishing and i really have a bunch of friends for fishing so i don't need to meet to many NEW people . if this makes me a prick in someones else's eyes then so be it - i don't care -

maybe this guy has had so many gear guy's drag they're boats through his water and never give him space - or race down right below him and cut him off in the run he's fishing that he hates gear guy's . heck most gear guy's hate fly guy's or did you not know that ?

I have a few friends who try and be nice and say hi to everyone and more times then not i here them say what an ass . ME - i just leave everyone alone - do not wave or want to meet every fisherman on the water and try and be friendly . i only do it when someones trying to be friendly with me except when some have kids , i love to see the kids on the water and comment every time .

If you keep to yourself and don't expect much from other people you don't have to rant about it at the end of the day and have it ruin your fishing trip . its that simple .

13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Evan, Take this for what it's worth...

I have met more total knob spey guys then I have gear..and yes that includes the yahoo's with coffee grinders and yellow rain coats in salmon season...We all started somewhere..

The good guys I've met in the spey or fly world were all once gear fisherman...I know its been said about Kinney, what makes him a good steelhead guide with the fly is because he learned where the fish were from fishing gear..All the best spey guy/gals/guides I've met..once fished gear!!!

If you fished gear, you talk to gear guys, you find out where the fish are, you find out where they saw fish in good "fly water" You make friends on the river and represent our sport well...If your a knob and think they are somehow below you or your chosen method..Then your just another yahoo on the river with fancy gear and you don't represent worth a shit..

Peace out, i'm heading north!!!

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    False

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I hear about this a lot. It never happens to me. Never.

PT could be right though. Communication is 2-way. Maybe these "bad casters" are frustrated. Ever yell at your wife cuz the Sox went 7-20 in the month of September...

Anyhow, If the dude just doesn't look at you right or is silent, you don't have to take it as they are pissed at you. They may just be pissed. When I'm pissed, I don't talk at all. Seems to be standard man behavior.

Go Sox,
    cds

16. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I don't have that same experience Evan. It seems like the douches are fairly equally distributed among all gear types, so I think it's a human thing and not a gear type thing. The exceptions are probably the terminal area fisheries that attracts hordes of snaggers. I say probably because I don't have enough experience in that environment to have a good feel for the statistic.

Sg

18. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Fishcentral, the only people who have that attitude are people who have never picked up a two-handed and are insecure about it. So let me guess.....

19. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

So now i'm stupid and insecure hmmm maybe i should start hating spey guy's - naw they're no threat to me . i only post that because i know it pisses the spey guy's off and i like pissing people off sometimes .
    To me its about reality , i don't expect much from other people and i don't get let down much . and i'm sure everyone that has a spey rod is the best fly fisherman in the country LMFAO !!! if i wanted to catch steelhead anymore i would get into spey casting for the big rivers but i don't need to ever catch another steelhead , been their - done that - for 40 years . its all just fishing , just some think they are better then others - its all about the EGO .

20. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Fishcentral..ever hear the quote thou doth protest too much

Anywho...I again thank god I live on the eastside hinterlands. Less people = less douchery