This thread has happened before...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

It does not matter what your into, there will always be people who are rude, hunting ,fishing, sports or whatever. Why let it ruin your day? As was stateed before, why give them free space in your head? The only persons attitude you can change is yours, so be courteous and move on. If someone has a high and mighty attitude, so be it, they are only fooling themselves.

Chris

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    :rofl:

I remember the first day I spent fishing with a two hander. I believe it was the same day that I broke the "world jofus f-bomb dropping" record. Any way it was a while ago, but I'm pretty certain that I was so frustrated that everyone within earshot thought I was a dikhead spey guy.

Maybe he was just having a really shitty day, Evan.

3. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

I have worked in the customer service industry for 18 years and one thing I have learned is that a very large percentage of people really suck. The rest are pretty cool. ignore the former and appreciate the latter. How's that for wisdom? LOL

4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

And if you are unable to ignore 'em, fish somewhere else. That's what I do because I lose my cool and get frustrated too easily to be able to ignore 'em. So I fish for trout in remote places instead.

5. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:

Very true!

Pink salmon bring out the worst in every walk of fishing from gear to fly. I take my time to tell people to get off the redds but I just expect it to happen. I think the bad attitudes happen when guys get frustrated. Bottom line. Crowds and a million lock jawed salmon will do that to a guy who just wants to come tight to something.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I like your wisdom .

7. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I might have to out you on that Thomas... I remember a few years ago, meeting you at a beach location in the South Sound and you not only gave me plenty of tips, but also the lucky fly you were using. Maybe it just so happened that you were bringing home dinner for your family and that put you in a good mood, but me being a newbie at the time, I remember that vividly and have used that experience to try and pay it forward as I've learned and interacted with other fishermen on rivers and beaches ever since. In the few years I've been fly fishing, I can't recall any negative interaction with other fly fishermen on the river, where I thought they had slided me or been rude. Maybe the occasional low hole, but all times it was because they weren't aware they were doing anything wrong. The past year, I started rockin' the two hander and was amazed by how willing others were in showing me how to use it. My experience with other spey guys has been exactly the same as mine with a single hander, nothing but friendly and happy to swap information.

8. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Yeah, we have heard this thread before, or something like it, and we'll hear it again. In two weeks, we'll read about skybusting waterfowlers. Why?

Because there still ain't no shortage of a**holes or chickens**t. And there isn't likely to be.

9. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Sky busting, now there's topic worthy of a tub of popcorn.

10. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    m80 shells FTW ;)

11. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Terry, I'm going to get you out in the duck blind when the rivers are blown out and you're sitting around the house going crazy. Then you'll see what real fun is. Hell, if you want, we'll even let you stand out in the rain and get soaking wet before you come into the blind and warm up with the stove and some hot chocolate. Try that on the side of an "S" river. We'll throw in a couple of assholes, too, if you want (just to keep this post on the thread topic).

12. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Shit. There goes my rep...

Glad to see you're gettin' after it Steffen. That fly I gave you is the one fly pattern I have kept under wraps... I've improved it slightly to reduce fouling but I've never told anyone about that one.

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Who knows, maybe at some point I will become jaded with the whole situation. I may not come across as such on the board; but in person, I'm a very introverted, quiet, dry, socially awkward, yet overly friendly kind of guy. If I come out of my shell for just a moment to kindly acknowledge your presence and show that I an mindful of the run you're fishing, then don't be a dick. That's all I ask.

14. generic

generic Active Member

I don't have that attitude. I'm just afraid that I'll love it so much, I'll give up my traditional rod. With my single hand I can do both methods. I did almost buy a switch rod however.

Truth be told, spey fishing has become to "trendy" as of late. I'll wait til those who feel "insecure" to give up, then maybe I'll give it a shot. That way I'll actually be able to find a place to fish.

15. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I always tell the boaters to "come on thru" figgering I'll still be there after they come by. The fish recover and I don't think they cause problems with my fishing. The only exception is the jet boats who move in and spend all their time floating over the end of my line. If they give me a little space, I don't mind them either. I think the reason that the swingers get upset is that the gear guys in a boat can be so much more effective. If you can't live with that take up the gear, there is no dishonor. I just want a little space and an occasional fish.

16. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Honestly i usally just sit down on the bank if a boat is gonna come by, rest the water a bit, maybe have a snack. give it 10 minutes and start at the top again.

i dont see why bank anglers get so worked up at times at passing boats. You have all morning, and all evening there.

17. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Classic thing I hear and read from "Expert spey" types is that, everyone else "doesn't get it" ... Nothing could be farther from the truth than that attitude-
    I Call it the "poser way" -

18. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    what's poser? the digital animation software?

19. koolminx

koolminx Member

What the berjezus IS this SPEY schart everybody is spewing out? 6 pages of really good bitchin and moaning and comparing and complaining and poking fun, all of it a good read, and I have no friggin clue what you're talking about.

Do I gotta join a club to find out, orr can someone splain to me what Lucy is talking about?

20. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Some folks are always looking for a reason to be offended.