Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Kenneth Yong, Jun 2, 2014.

1. I'd posted this on the Classic Rod Forum, thought I'd post it here too.

-----

Saturday, last day of May.

I was on a small and pretty stream somewhere in the hills of Central Italy. The bright vermilion-marked fish were small but plentiful. Ecdyonurus venosus, AKA the False March Brown was rising off the water and the speckled dace were happily making a meal of them. So I tied on a #14 peacock EHC, just to make Troth's case. And he didn't disappoint me.

Mid-morning. 50th log jam? Or was it the 60th? No matter, just another fly-eating, cast hindering obstacle that had made the day very interesting, to put it mildly. But wait...

Just another log-jam?

[​IMG]

Fish out of water

[​IMG]

A good river is nature's life work in song, soothing the fevered brow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tasting his terror on my hands

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, the predator is a Grass Snake (Natrix natrix lanzai).

Thanks for reading,
    Kenneth

2. That last fish is beautiful!

3. Looks like a great day on a beautiful stream......thanks for sharing Kenneth!

4. Thanks for the kind comments, guys. The thing about this creek, it's a lot bigger upstream, maybe the 2 dams above have something to do with that ;).

Above the dams, the river is quite heavily stocked, so most people fish there. Down where I was, you will hardly see a stocked fish, although I'm sure some do wash down when the dams are open every so often.

In any case I much prefer bashing through the brush and catching pretty, wild fish. Every so often you will get the surprise lunker, relatively speaking -- last year I pulled one out that went almost 18".

Kenneth

5. Well-written & thanks for sharing. Fishing is about the whole experience.