Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Kenneth Yong, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Kenneth Yong Member

Rome, Italy
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I'd posted this on the Classic Rod Forum, thought I'd post it here too.

-----

Saturday, last day of May.

I was on a small and pretty stream somewhere in the hills of Central Italy. The bright vermilion-marked fish were small but plentiful. Ecdyonurus venosus, AKA the False March Brown was rising off the water and the speckled dace were happily making a meal of them. So I tied on a #14 peacock EHC, just to make Troth's case. And he didn't disappoint me.

Mid-morning. 50th log jam? Or was it the 60th? No matter, just another fly-eating, cast hindering obstacle that had made the day very interesting, to put it mildly. But wait...

Just another log-jam?

[IMG]

Fish out of water

[IMG]

A good river is nature's life work in song, soothing the fevered brow

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tasting his terror on my hands

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

BTW, the predator is a Grass Snake (Natrix natrix lanzai).

Thanks for reading,
    Kenneth
  2. jfkkesler New Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    That last fish is beautiful!
  3. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Looks like a great day on a beautiful stream......thanks for sharing Kenneth!
  4. Kenneth Yong Member

Rome, Italy
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Thanks for the kind comments, guys. The thing about this creek, it's a lot bigger upstream, maybe the 2 dams above have something to do with that ;).

Above the dams, the river is quite heavily stocked, so most people fish there. Down where I was, you will hardly see a stocked fish, although I'm sure some do wash down when the dams are open every so often.

In any case I much prefer bashing through the brush and catching pretty, wild fish. Every so often you will get the surprise lunker, relatively speaking -- last year I pulled one out that went almost 18".

Kenneth
  5. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +630 / 0
    Well-written & thanks for sharing. Fishing is about the whole experience.