Thomas & Thomas :: Helix Series Rods (4, 6 & 8wt)

Discussion in 'WFF Gear Program' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +295 / 0
    [IMG]

Thomas & Thomas :: Helix Series Rods

"The Helix series rods incorporate T&T’s BAFT™ graphite system, a new matrix of fiber orientation, which enables the design of rods with increased strength power and lightness. Built to achieve light swing weight and ultra-sure trajectories, they also meet today’s needs for portability. All Helix rods are of four-piece construction and fitted with appropriate reel seats to meet salt and freshwater situations. Line weights 3-6 are offered with a western grip and 7-10 feature the full wells grip. For species diversity and portability, Helix does it all."
  2. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    The 6wt is with Crump on an extended demo in NZ at the moment. Not a bad fish for it's first day in the country.
  3. worldanglr Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Big brown I caught on the WFF gear program T&T Helix 4 weight! He ate a four inch long black bunny...
  4. dogminder New Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I would sure be interested in what these fellows thought of the rods they were using.
  5. chasec New Member

samammish, wa
    I picked up the Thomas & Thomas 6 wt for a trip to the Yakima. Over the day, I threw this, the 6wt Sage Fli, and the 6wt TFO TiCR.

I probably used the Thomas and Thomas the least of the three, but in using it it seemed that I could easily get the longest distance with it. I found myself easily shooting another 10 feet with this rod compared to the others. However, with that distance came a loss of some accuracy. I think that if I fished with it for a while more I could correct that...

One of the other guys on the trip used this rod for quite a bit and he liked it a ton. He too thought it added a great deal of distance to his cast and thought it was extremely easy to lay out straight line. Overall, I'd say this rod is very smooth and very powerful.
  6. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    I tried out the T&T 4 wt for a weekend trip to RFC & the Yakima. I loved it. I used it primarily for dry flies, but also with fairly cumbersome nymphing rigs, and as it does the wind blew. This rod handled it all beautifully and with delicate casts, even at distance. I took along my 5 wt and 6 wt rods because I thought I'd need them in the wind, but never took that T&T out of my hands.
  7. fishwhipped New Member

Seattle.
    I used the T&T 6 wt on a float trip on the Lower Salmon River, mostly fishing weighted streamers for smallies. I was not as impressed with the rod as I expected to be after reading other reviews. I mean it is a fine rod and I was able to cast these flies a long way, but I found it did not load very well for short casts, and my timing had to be quite good to make a successful long cast. Maybe this just means I am not a good enough caster to appreciate this rod, but I prefer my Sages, I get a better feel for what is going on with my cast. Just one opinion. Thanks, Chris, for the chance to try the T&T. Mark Blatter
  8. Finni Member

Seattle, WA
    Borrowed the Helix 6wt back in April and wasn't very impressed. It had pretty nice hardware and it was fairly well put together (except for the abuse someone had put on it), but it lacked something. Maybe it was just an overall slower rod, but it lacked the backbone I was hoping for.

Finni
  9. Bonnet New Member

Charlotte, NC
    What is the cost for something like the Helix 6wt? Is it worth trying out?
  10. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Think it's in the 5-600 range. Dunno. But the Helix rods are being sent back and replaced with the Horizon II's. Same price range but the performance is considerably better.
  11. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    iagree
    I have used the Sage and Helix rods from the program and, from another source, the Horizon II; ended up buying the Horizon II in a 4 wt. The Helix is a very nice rod, but the Horizon II is the finest casting rod in my closet; wish I could afford to replace my other rods with a Horizon II.
  12. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +489 / 0
    Horizon II are sweet looking rods. They are up in $$$ pushing the 700.00. I think these rods are overlooked by potential rod buyers when in comparison to sage, winston, and g.loomis due to many fly shops not carrying them.
  13. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +489 / 0
    Horizon II are sweet looking rods. They are up in $$$ pushing the 700.00. I think these rods are overlooked by potential high end rod buyers when in comparison to sage, winston, and g.loomis due to many fly shops
    not carrying them.

OOPS...tried to edit and added this with a two word change :(
  14. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    :thumb:
    I think they are a bit overlooked on the West Coast or in the Rockies, relative to the rod manufacturers you just listed . . . just the opposite on the East Coast, though! :thumb:
  15. CC898 Member

Montana
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have fished and owned many Thomas and Thomas rods, some I like some I hate! The Horizon II rods are great, but Thomas is a bit like Winston, its really hard to compare their actions to anything else. based on how they are labeled. HIIs are supposed to be "fast" they are more of a Mod/fast, if you are used to sage or some others. I have a Vector in a 7wt, that is the best of both worlds, kind of like a BIImx, power when you need it.

NOW, If I had my way....lets demo an 8wt APEX!!!!