Thoughts on 10'6" switch rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mulligan, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    :rofl: I would PM KEM, i think he has one or has a friend who has one.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Gary,
    It's a bitch getting old, isn't it? ;) Good luck on your recovery. Two and a half months and it will be go time for the beaches.
    Brian

3. KEM

KEM Member

Media:
    OK, back to the question. Ohhh ok! Has anyone casts to the Beulah Elixer line on the Winston BIIX? Luke and I both have switch rods and they are the sh!t for sure, great rods. Joe, you should get a second job and pick one up. Buccolla, you should kiss my ass! Really though Stevesie, I would get the Beulah/Winston. Luke is almost casting as far as me, but it may take a while for him though to catch up.

4. longstick

longstick Member

Z axis are sick rods,
    Fun for spey in tight courter, single hand a 100+ feet with no effort:thumb:

5. backcast

backcast Born To Flyfish

I live in center of Ohio & fish small to med size stream/rivers.... In your opinion what would you prefer for fishing these conditions with fish from 8" to 20" size.... I was little concerned when my new Beulah switch rod came and I waved it around.... it seemed a little softer than I anticipated...Im wondering if I shouldn't have bought the 6/7 instead.
    But I didn't want overpower the fish..... Anybody can jump in on this as all feedback would be appreciated....

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    The 5/6 would be plenty; the 6/7 would be overkill for 8-20" fish.

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Stay tuned for the Loop Opti switches that should be out in the next month or so: 11 ft 5/6 and 11 ft 7/8. I messed around with the 11 7/8 proto a couple weeks ago..... very nice!

In regards to Tuna's statement that a 6/7 wt. being over-kill on medium to large sized trouties: I would agree in concept, but in actuality the 7/8, yes, 7/8, is more applicable in most conditions. The key is that the heavier rod (7/8) is light in hand-- like in the case of the new Opti. I decided to go with the 7/8 over the 5/6 because it has enough backbone to throw a short Skagit head with a tip. If the rod is light enough in hand, you can feel the fish very well. If I were to drop to the 5/6 because I believed in concept that the heavier wt. rod was over-kill, I'd lose the ability to double spey heads with tips a great deal. I guess what I'm saying with these switches is, you don't have to take the weight indication as literally as you would with a single hander or 14 footer. See how it feels in your hand, cast it with some heads and tips, take into consideration its application based on where and what you fish, and go from there. Don't make your decision mainly based on the wt.

8. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

I just got a Beulah 5/6 switch and have plans to give it a go tomorrow from a drift boat on the Yakima. From my test casting I expect to be pleased. We'll see.

9. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Great sticks, all of em. I love the Beulah switches. The 5/6 is my go to stick these days for the beach, rivers and throwing full sinking lines and streamers on lakes.

10. airbornemike

airbornemike New Member

I'm a complete newbie with regards to two handed casting so that being said the Beulah 8/9 switch I've been fishing for the past month or so has completely converted me. It really works great for what I use it for, I'm using there Elixer line with Rio Veratips in various lengths.

Unfortunantly I blew it up fourth time out wrestling Lake Michigan bones, James had a rod to me in five days, kudos to beulah for answering all my silly ass questions as well.

11. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I also have the Elixer on my 5/6 and would recommend that line. I'm using poly leaders w/ it. I have been pleasantly surprised at the ability of the rod to handle a poly leader w/ a fairly heavily weighted conehead zuddler. I'm an average caster at best and the rod/line have no problems handling the zuddlers.

12. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I have the Beulah 8/9 lined with their Elixer and like it lots!! I use the poly leaders as well - but think I am going to be in the market for their 5/6 switch for summer applications.
    We'll see - but I don't think one can go wrong with any of the quality rods listed here - just get a good match-up with the line!
    Magill

13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    That 5/6 Beulah is the best switch rod blank on the market right now, in my opinion. Especially if you are targetting SRC and summer runs locally..

If you use an 8wt single hand rod then you may have many existing line options, without buying a lot of new stuff.

14. backcast

backcast Born To Flyfish

Jeremy,,,,Let me know what you think of it......

15. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    Has anyone cast the rainshadow 10' 6" switches? You can pick up a blank for a very friendly price. I've wiggled them at AATF but have never cast them.

16. Jamie Wilson

I think the Floyd might agree that - locally - a single hander like a GL3 9'9" 8 wt from Loomis is the schiz. Right line is the key if you want the Spey capabilities plus the requisite one-hander expectations. Floyd has talked a lot about the benefits of a good one-hander with a line that does what you want it to. I really believe that learning about line anatomy and how it applies to your specific needs is MONEY. It has help me, once I understood the basics behind fly line anatomy, rod action, and the variety of means to cast a fly.

Magill

17. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

Hello Rob,

I've casted them and they feel good. Despite the lower cost, they compare well with the more expensive switch rod blanks that are available.

18. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    iagree The Truth. I've espoused this for years. The right line can make an OK rod really zing, and the wrong line can make a great rod only feel OK. In reading this entire thread one should pick that up; so many folks talk about what line fits with their particularl stick. Learning about fly lines and their anatomy (great term to use in this application, DR. Magill) will (should) teach a person more about their specific rod and what makes it tick.

Good stuff.

19. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Rob,
    I own two of the rainshadow, one in a 6wt and the other in an 8wt. I love them I have not caught anything on the 8 yet but have used the 6 for trout and even had fun with the Salmon on the Skookumchuck last year. my bigest was about 14lbs. The little rod did OK. I am using the Beulah switch 6/7 and the 8/9. With and without polys on it. I got mine thru Feathastyx. Great blank for the money.

William

20. Jamie Wilson

Actually - this was suggested to me in this forum by g_smolt several months back. Get a scale, some running line, some inexpensive floating line, couple of other things, learn a few knots, then have at it. I still cut lines up all the time just for the heck of it. Thanks g_smolt.
    I did find though that the Elixer line was the best match for me and the Beulah 8/9 switch rod. The taper on the body is difficult to match in a do-it-yourself situation - short and fat - like some women I know. I think Beulah actually suggests that you use poly leaders with the line out of the box or cut the body back, throw on a loop, and use your tips you may already have. I stick with the poly leaders because I don't want to cut their line. It's really a nice combo. A guy I know could shoot the entire line - right to the backing - with a double spey. I can't do it - but he did it with my set-up so I know it can be done. I can do it with a 2-handed overhead cast. The stuff goes!