Thoughts On An Inflatable

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Alex MacDonald, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Her Ladyship and I just bought a new little hard-side pop up trailer, and I'm wondering if anyone has a thought on a decent inflatable flyfishing raft that I can throw in the back of the truck. We have Watermasters, but it would be nice to float together instead of two separate boats. I know both Scadden and Watermaster have them. Has anyone got any experience with either, and are there other two-man boats out there that'll fold down and don't require a trailer?
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,471 / 9
    Try my scadden xx two seat craft when you are back on your feet. Very. Ice option for two adults or one plus two kids up front.
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Thanks, Ed, will do! One month today, and one more to go!!
  4. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I have the Scadden McKenzie two man pontoon I really like. It has the slide out standing platforms that let you use your fins and when anchored you can stand up to fish or relieve yourself! I also got the X5 tube so I can move the rowers seat over to a one man configuration. I have also used the McKenzie as a one man boat and it works well in that configuration. My wife LOVES being in the front floating down the Methow! (not sure if Dave is still offering this boat) Rick
  5. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
  6. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    (and Alex-you can come over to Winthrop when Big Twin opens and try it out with your wife!) Rick
  7. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Suggest if you're interested in a two-person whitewater capable boat you should check out the original Aire Puma 11' - still one of the best.
  8. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +161 / 1
    Is there an inflatable out there that will take about a 15hp gas motor and do 20-25 MPH on stillwater and track? Other than an RIB which might be OK too.
  9. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +869 / 1
    Alex, you're still going to need to consider overall weight, and the type of water. Think about getting it off the back of the truck or the camper, etc.
  10. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Alex,

I would look at the Scadden XX or XXX (no frame needed) or Catcher Craft. I would definitely stay with bladderless tubes. Dave also still has his framed boats available.
  11. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Lots of stuff to consider here, guys. Thanks!
  12. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    You need to stop drinking the Dave Scadden Piss flavored coolaid . There is nothing wrong with boats that have bladders. Yes some of the boats like ODC And Waterskeeter and Trout Unlimited boats are crap and wont last 10 years. But the High end outcast boats are just as good as any bladderless boat Scadden is selling. He never tells you about the advantages of a bladdered boat to which there are many.
    Because he is trying to upsell you into buying one of his higher end boats.

Not trying to start another Scadden boats suck thread but I think he is spreading alot of misconceptions about competing products.
  13. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +161 / 1
    My experience with Scadden purchases is different than yours, Shawn. I was ready to buy the Rampage but based on our conversation Dave recommended the Renegade for $600 less. And, he was correct. That is the best boat for me, solo.

I don't think anyone is knocking bladder products, including Scadden. It seems most people on here that have gone from bladders to bladderless prefer the bladderless. Can't beat them for weight and storage and the lifetime guarantee is good security. I think Mr. Aubrey's suggestion that the OP look at the Assault XX or the Catchercraft is appropriate given the OPs hot points.

One other anecdotal observation is resale. Locally on our Kiene site, there have been a bunch of inflatables advertised recently. The Scaddens usually sell within a few days if they are priced right. The others don't sell nearly as quickly or for the same price point. I think that's also a strong consideration for those of us that go through boats fairly quickly. My only experience with Outcast is the SFC and it's been great. I just have no use for it as the Renegade is so much better for my needs.
  14. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +345 / 5
    Donna and I are looking to get the Scadden XXX this spring -- weighs a mere 54 lbs, packs small enough to throw on top my of Xterra (or inside if I'm not loaded with road-trip carcamping gear) and big enough inflated for the two of us and Sophie, our yellow lab.
  15. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I wouldn't want to go any larger or heavier than I had to. The Scadden XX sounds like it would be a real good option for Your Ladyship and yourself.
  16. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Alex, are you still driving that Tacoma and are you looking for something that will ride level in the bed or are you planning on having it ride at an angle?
  17. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    "You need to stop drinking the Dave Scadden Piss flavored coolaid ."

Uh, actually, Shawn, that was me speaking, not Dave, and based on my own personal experience and that of my friends. First, I have seen too many guys spend valuable fishing time trying to realign their bladder and its cover. And then you have the stitches on a cover. And, for me, the fewer parts anything has, the better I like it--less possible failure points. It's just personal opinion, but I believe there's a reason(s) a lot of the better manufacturers have gone bladderless. Nothing against Outcast--the boat you recommend looks nice, and I had a Super Fat Cat and loved it. And their new big float tube looks sweet.
    matokuwapi likes this.
  18. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    So what are the advantages of a bladdered boat?
  19. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    I couldn't agree more. As someone who's owned both bladder- and bladderless pontoons, bladderless tubes are far less maintenance and far less likely to wear or leak. That's not to say they don't wear or don't leak - used hard enough, even the toughest gear will eventually fail.

Bladdered tubes have an advantage in that they are cheaper to manufacture and usually lighter. That's great if you're a newbie fisherman on a budget and will likely not be using your pontoon in conditions that might compromise it. But once you take the bladder out of the outer tube for a repair, you'll find out immediately how difficult it is to get them realigned without causing folds or pinches that can easily turn into future leaks.

K
  20. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    This came from the boat people.
    What about quality? In the simplest terms, quality really boils down to how long the boat will last, or how long you can maintain it in functional condition. With AIRE's internal bladder design there is nothing that can permanently disable one of their rafts. If a couple main tube bladders start developing pinholes after say, 15 or 20 years, you can replace them for fraction of the boat's value. The outer hull of an AIRE could in fact be nearly worn down to the base fabric all over and the raft will still hold air just fine. On the other hand, if a non-bladderized pvc boat becomes leaky at every crease, or a hypalon raft accumulates so many patches it won't hold air for two hours, what do you do? Boat sealants may help with some of these problems but it's not a long term solution, and if your raft needs multiple, expensive repairs and is only worth $700, do you pay a repairman another $700? In most cases the boat either ends up fetching next to nothing at a garage sale or taking up space in a landfill. There is no reason an AIRE boat can't go 30, even 40 years with upkeep, a lifespan matched by few other boats. For the same reason an AIRE can be made to last forever, it is also the most easily serviced in the field if something should go wrong. With all these considerations we don't feel there is a better whitewater raft than an AIRE or Tributary at any price.

Also on the water repairs are a breeeze with boat with bladders.