Thoughts on new Rio Switch line

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Burck, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Rio just released its new switch line. I'm intrigued by it, but not sure I want to fork over the $90 until I'm sure it's going to do what I'm after.

For starters, I typically always spey cast my switch rod; be it if I'm running a nymph rig, or swinging. Right now, I'm running an Airflo 40+, which has a 35' head (10' longer than a compact skagit). It anchors up and spey casts very well. For sink tips, I throw a Rio Skagit Flight.

The new Rio Switch line has a long head at 55'. I'm trying to determine if that would be too long for what I like to do. The description doesn't really say if it's catered more to overhead casting, or spey casting.

I doubt anyone here has tried it yet as it is brand new... But if you have, I'd like your input. Otherwise... let's do the typical interweb thing speculate

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=159

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Evan, with all the great deals you've made and dollars you've saved, go buy one, then pass it around so we can all try it...then we can be informed speculators. Seems like a long head for a switch rod to me, for fishing tight cover that head outside the tip makes for a sizeable D loop and from an overhead perspective that is a lot of line to keep in the air (as compared to both practices with an Airflo 40+)

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    That's what I'm thinking too. I tend to be more of a fan of condensed heads. I'm not entirely sure this will suit my needs, but I'm still very curious what its purpose is suppose to be. Just seems strangely proportioned.

4. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Good stuff man I use it with my bobber and dead drift worm - bead dropper system.

5. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Sorry Evan couldn't resist it the Dark Beer Season. Anyone that has fished with Evan... he is serious and if there are fish in the water they have seen his presentation.

6. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    My shop has a couple of demo ones. I haven't taken them out of the box yet but they seem oddly proportioned. I would guess that they are crap. I could go spool one up tomorrow and let you know if I have time. But I have a hard time believing it is worth a damn. wrong dimensions and weight. Just speculating.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, that's my hunch too. Let me know how it compares to the speydicator

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I prefer a full spey rod for such a presentation. They can chuck a bobber and lead like you wouldn't believe.

9. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Evan,

The more I think about it, if you are looking for a nymphing line for your switcher then just get a 10 or 11 wt nymphing line by your manufacturer of choice. No real need to get too fancy... this coming from capt. gear whore.....

10. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Most manufactures don't have floaters in nymph like tapers in that heavy of weights plus it would still be a little light for two handed casting. Didn't make it out today evan, stand by till tomorrow.

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Evan,

Most short head Spey lines have 52 - 55' belly sections. It seems like this line at 55' is too long for comfortable switch casting. I don't own a bonafide switch rod, but I've got the 11 1/2' Forecast and a 12' CND, and 55' is too long a Spey belly for casting comfort on those two rods.

Sg

13. docstash

docstash Member

On the 7/8 the color change is at 40', the rear taper starts at 30', head weight is measured at the color change on all at 40'. So my uneducated inexperienced guess would be it is not a 55' head, but a 40' head with longer mending section than the spedicator that Mike and Rick helped to develope with Airflo. And Rio's answer to Airflo. But what do I know. Whether the color change is outside the tip or at the 4th guide would be up to the type of cast and the caster..

Craig

Craig

14. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have the 6/7 on my BII MX 11'6" rod. I like it. It performed well both overhand nymph rigs and spey casting them as well. You need to be pretty precise with the head placement when spey casting with a nymph rig. I think the 7/8 would be a good line if all I was doing was spey casting nymph rigs.

It spey casted a dry nicely and would probably turn over light poly leaders. It's a good all around switch line.

15. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    oooooops should have looked at the nymph lines before hand and too bad that there isn't a heavier indicator line cus the tapers on both the SA and Rio indicator/nymph lines would rock a switch rod. But my question would now be... why would one spey cast a nymph rig with a 55 foot head? Seems like it would be an awful pain in the ass....

16. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    The head is longer for mending and not necessarily for casting. The 55' head gives you some wiggle room when mending unlike a skagit setup.

17. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

Just a thought, at 45'ish the Fall Favorite and 40'ish Winter Authority sound like another option to try and Nextcast is really putting them out there to be tried. I thought the FF45 was not my thing, but I think in the smaller size on a switch it would be pretty nice. Like you, I'm throwing the 40+ and while I tried the FF45 on a 13', I'm itching to try the line on my 11'. The Winter Authority also look like they might be putting out 40' head for tip work, etc. Just more options that are more expensive then the line in your original post.

18. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I thought there was a standard that was something like 2.50 to 3.00 times the lenght of the rod. I know that you can got heavier and shorter. But I thought there was a standard to start by. So for a switch rod I do think that line is a little long. And if it will work if you spey with it and that is what you want. I would just use a spey rod. But I don't really know what I"m doing!

19. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Im not 100% sure Evan believes in mending. ELLL OOOHHH ELLL

20. jakers

jakers Member

John:

That ratio is applicable to skagit casting but other styles of speycasting are effective at carrying much longer lengths of line.