Thoughts on new Rio Switch line

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Burck, Nov 16, 2010.

1. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

5 times the length of the rod, is a "long belly" line for that rod and will require very good technique. A 55' head would be effectively long belly for an 11' rod. Not that good technique is bad, but it can be very frustrating for someone starting out, or with only shorter line experience.

2. Woodman60

Woodman60 Member

Rio recommends matching rod weight for the Switch line. What's the standard on uplining the 40+. I'm fishing a 5 weight TFO 11' switch.

Thanks.

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    There is no standard. I've cast the 9 wt 40+ with my 7/8 switch and also my 6 wt switch and it does just fine on both (with a bobber rig that is). Look at what the grain window is for your rod and compare it to this:

(taken from poppy at RedShed)
    40+
    5=243grns
    6=261grns
    7=284grns
    8=323grns
    9=365grns

It looks like the grain window for the deer creek is 250-450...wow, that's a big window.

Here's what TFO's recommendation is:
    Scandi: Rio AFS 5/6
    Skagit: Rio 350 or SA ST-6 or ST-7 <> Tips to +-100 grains
    Short Belly Spey: 5/6 CND
    Two Hand Overhead: Rio OutBound 8/9

Soooo, looks like an 8 or a 9 wt line would be fine for you.

4. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Media:
    Home Page:
    "there is no standard"

agreed. the rio is really just along the same thoughts as the speydicator that we designed, with slightly different proportions. as mentioned before, its their attempt at an answer to the speydicator. as far as naming it a "switch" line, it pigeonholes it into people thinking thats the only thing it can do, kind of like sa's single hand skagit (which IS an incredible switch skagit). single hand lines as an example, line company X decides they want to market a line to the redfish people, and all they do is make a different color of a given taper, draw up a new box and bingo- new entry into the market.

sure, the "head" is longer, but dont be bound by only throwing it at 55' out the tip. rarely is it meant for those occasions. the actual head, like the speydicator, is designed to be stripped in to where it feels best to spey cast, with the remaining head length available for line manipulation (feeding, mending or just shooting in tight spots). it should feel heavy with the full 55' out the tip, but this was intentional, as the rear tapers were not really designed to be casted, rather for mending. but if the situation allows (i.e. standing above the water in the front of the boat), then launch away!

the previous "short heads" like the windcutter WERE designed to be thrown with the head out the guide with no thought going into whats behind it except to shoot.

bottom line is that both the rio switch and airflo speydicator are unique lines that give two handed fisherman the option to do a couple different things with them.
    for spey casting, grab a permanent marker, strip the head in and find that "sweet spot" on the line where it feels best, and then work from there. hell, i have friend that just cut the back end off his speydicator and uses it as his "skandit" line.

chances are that if you see this as a nymphing line, you already know what to do with it. the rear tapers were designed with one thing in mind- control.

regarding proper lining, i would just go with the given line weight for the intended rod. theres more variability factored into these types of lines, and the difference in grain weight from one line size to the other is much more than skagit and scandi heads.

5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Welp, I picked up the 6/7 wt to try out on my CPX. I haven't had an opportunity to cast it yet, but will report back once I do. Most likely after Thursday. I'll probably swing with it and maybe even try to throw some bobbers around just to see how it handles.