thread breaking...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by chadk, Feb 20, 2006.

1. wet line

wet line New Member

Breaking thread is normal! All the suggestions are valid but there is one other thing that will break thread. Even if one uses a bobbin, I don't, the roughness of skin and finger nails can fray thread in a heart beat! Before tying I always sand my finger tips and finger nails with very fine sand paper, an emory board will work.

Those flies you don't like, start a collection of every pattern you tie. Even if they are ragged keep one. Over the years your tastes will change but for some unknown reason you will go back and try to remember some creation you tied years ago that worked but won't be able to recall exactly what it looked like. It is also kind of fun to go back and look at how your tying has progressed over time and you will wonder how in the heck did you ever tie up those size 20 nymphs when you were younger and could still see well enough to tie them on a line. :rofl:

Dave

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well Chad's new at this and he will continue to break thread until he learns that you don't need to reef down on your thread to keep your junk in line. A couple of turns of thread will keep most stuff in place..

We all went thru this stage.

Jim

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    true... But hey, I was tying with mono thread last night and it never broke on me once :)

4. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    When I teach a fly tying class to beginners I have them fasten the thread to the hook and pull on the thread slowly until it breaks. We do that two or three times so they get used to how much pressure 6/0 thread will take. Do it a few times when you're not creating a masterpiece and it might help your feel for things. Once in a great while you may get a bad spool of thread but that's usually not the problem.

A metal bobbin will work fine for many years, it needs to be a good one to start with though. Ditto sanding your fingers. I just use a fine emery board particularly when I have been working in the yard. With practice you can spin deer hair with 6/0 thread.

This time of year fly tying is so satisfying. Keep trying, there are lots of rewards awaiting you.

5. wet line

wet line New Member

Regarding waxed shanks and stain bleed through in the 30 plus years of tying I have never experienced this phenomenum. I still have quite a few light colored nymphs I tied many years ago that I always carry with me as well as a few dries that have not discolored. Though I do have quite a few light flies that are discolored due to rusty shanks.

I would be interested in more information as I have not seen this happen!!!

Keep at it Chad. When you are ready I have some cutthroat Spey and Dee style flies that you can replicate. They worked well last year for me. I also have some soft feather streamers that are pretty easy to tie and look really good in the water. These are not as difficult to tie as one may think. Time consuming yes, but you will learn a lot by tying them that will help greatly with other patterns.

Dave

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yeah Dave's been trying for years to tie flies. I know as I have seen some of them.:p :p :p :p Keep trying Dave.

Jim

7. wet line

wet line New Member

Jim,
    I finally gave up tying naturals on the hook. I was cutting too many of them in half when I snugged up the thread. Now I just catch one and super glue the sucker to the hook. They are a bit fragile but very realistic. :rofl:

Dave

8. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I have had the same problem with thread breaking. Danville and Rumpf thread 6/0 was breaking like crazy. I complained at the local Fly Shop that they don't make thread like they use to. (I've been tying for over 30 yrs.) I bought some UNI-Thread. No more breaking. I was told at the fly shop I was pulling to hard. I agree I like to make sure my fly is tied tight but I never had this problem with breaking before. I think there is some poor quality threads out there. Stick with UNI-thread. It seems to be a lot stronger.

K.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Well, I bought a new bobbin (ceramic) and so far it is pretty obvious that 90% of the issues I was having was a result of the old bobbin. I still broke off a few times, but not at the same rate I had been. I also noticed that I broke off 2 times more often on my black thread than I was on the red or brown I was using (all 6/0 - not sure if all were Danville or not, but the black definately was).

10. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Go to UNI-Thread. It will make all the difference.

K.

11. Ned Wright

Ned Wright New Member

Media:
    Me too Chad. I never broke any thread but by black. Go figure:confused: I also noticed that this same black spool has a tendancy to splay more. I saw the stuff about rough skin and have been trying to keep it away from my thumb and this seems to help.

Ned

12. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Remember not all 6/0 is the same - different companies have different ideas of 6/0. I find Danville to be the weakest. I'm tying with foam for my next swap fly and bought Danville 6/0 because that's what the fly shop had in the color I needed. After 3 breakoffs trying to cinch down the foam body I gave up and went back and bought the 3/0. It works fine now.

I love working with UTC, though I have to order it by mail since no one around here carries it. The previous post that talked about breaking off while whip finishing reminded me that I like to spin the thread clockwise before whip finishing - it seems to hold better. Also with the UTC, if your fingers are not smooth you will catch some of the strands of the UTC during handling and weaken it, like one of the previous posts pointed out.

And talking about poorly tied flies, I decided to tie a Club Sandwich for our terrestrial swap because I have never tied with foam. My first three flies were just awful, but my fourth looks good. Unfortunately I used super glue on the hook, so wont be able to recycle those puppies......

Wayne

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Well I started tying the other day with 8\0 Uni-Thread and have had no problems.

I think the issue I had was definately due to a combo of the bobbin and the danville black thread. I'm keeping the bobbin for mono, wire, and other applications. But I'm strongly considering a cerimonial burning of the black 6/0 danville thread spool :)

14. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    there must be a burr or sharp edge on that bobbin, take a good look or attemt to burnish the ferrul a little, and the ceramic tube bobbins are nice, and they don't discolor thread passing through them like a metal one can.

E