Thread for #18 and smaller flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Dec 26, 2012.

1. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Sue, as soon as I saw the words " invisible thread " I knew that was it. Great stuff, very strong. Thanks.

2. GAT

GAT Active Member

Sue is a good vertual friend from all the way back to the FF@ days. Today, I just told her how great this site is and she joined. Glad to have you here Suzy Q! :D

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Good first post.

4. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

5. Hans Weilenmann

Hans Weilenmann Active Member

Thread diameter is of course an important factor, as is whether one can flatten it easily when needed, cording it as needed too. Most multi-strand threads allow this. Monofilament thread, of course, does not.

Most important, though, is making each wrap count. Sounds like a no-brainer - but not always adhered to.

I have a simple yardstick - if i cannot explain to myself why a wrap needs to be there, most likely it shouldn't.

Benecchi 12/0 is my staple thread, and I tie down to #30 with it.

Cheers,
    Hans W

darwin101 and GAT like this.
  6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I can't even see a size 22 fly let alone, tie one. But once when I was in Maupin I went into a second hand store that used to be there and found a spool of lingerie nylon thread in black. It has a fairly low breaking strength but if you are careful, it ties pretty small. I use clear mono for a lot of my flies. It's pretty thin stuff and has a fairly high breaking strength.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Size 30? You're killin' me! C'mon man!

8. Hans Weilenmann

Tiemco 2488 #30

[​IMG]
    Klinkhamer Special

Cheers,
    Hans W

GAT likes this.
  9. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Hans, absolutely amazing how you managed to get all those materials in place and so neatly on a #30, especially that peacock herl thorax. Really nice!

Thanks for sharing,
    Kenneth

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

Holly CoW! Now Hans is here too!! Good grief. Waaaay coool. WFF may be the new VFS!

As I mentioned in another thread, Hans is my favorite fly tyer... I've learned more from Hans than any other fly tyer (but I still can't get the hang of that splitting the thread bit for dubbing)...plus he has my sense of humor :)

Hans doesn't simple shoot still shots for his step by step fly tying instructions, he makes a video.
    Hans, please show your videos in the Step by Step section of this forum.

Sue and Hans, I am very happy to see both of you here.

11. Hans Weilenmann

*chuckle*

Hi Suzl.

Gene, I have been a member for some time. Just because I do not post, do not count me out. The shadow knows :cool:

Be afraid, be very afraid...

Cheers,
    Hans W

12. GAT

GAT Active Member

Well The Shadow needs to come out of the shadows! (however, your tying skills do scare me :D)

13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Well, I have about a 4 color assortment of 12/0 veevus and it sure is small and sure is strong. I tried breaking some with my usual thread tension pulls.... didn't break. I'm ready to break out the small hooks and tie up some chronie emergers for use for the next 45 days.

14. GAT

GAT Active Member

I think the 12/0 Veevus is fine. I also tried some size 14/0 Veevus and that size did break on me when it nicked the hook point. Sooooo, I'll stay with the 12/0. I don't tie invisible flies so I don't need anything smaller than 12/0.

These days I can't see a pattern much smaller than a size 18 so trying to tie anything smaller than that is pure folly.

[​IMG]

15. zen leecher aka bill w

16. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Member

As Hans said, make each turn of thread count. It only takes two turns of thread to hold amaterial in place. Using more than that is building bulk. I use three turns and take one off if I am tying in another material at the same place. By the time you start winding multiple body materials the first tied in is well achored and verything else is too. I use Uni thread and use primarily 6/0. I don't go to 8/0 until I get below size 20.

17. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I agree, when tying ASF's it's common practice to tie one material on with 5 or 6 turns then take 2 or 3 off to tie on the next material if it's in the same place or on top of the first, keeps build to a minimum on all flies. For most tying I use uni 8/0 and 6/0, I do use Griffin 14/0 on occasion. I really should try some on these others that have been mentioned.

18. zen leecher aka bill w

I worked on tying one of Hans patterns (on flybc.ca), a Stuck Shaft Midge, and found out there's a big difference between doing #22 thread midges and the more materials in a #20 Stuck Shaft Midge. Mine will catch fish but sure aren't as pretty as the video.

Hans, what do you wear for optics to aid in viewing your progress on the "teenies"?

19. Andy Kitchener

Andy Kitchener New Member

Used this Semperfli Nano Silk, I use white and magic markers as Gene says but it is even stronger than veevus see video at

20. Hans Weilenmann

I take my glasses off :cool: