Thread storage?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave Evans, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    I have gotten carried away over the years with threads, flosses, tinsel, etc. I have been storing it on thread racks from Joann's but now I have three and they are starting to take over my bench space. Curious how others are storing their stuff. I have thought of boxes, but am worried about out of sight, out of mind. Also saw the Wapsi Spool Safe, but not sure about that. Any suggestions?
  2. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    ArtBin makes a decent thread storage box with two removable trays that allow for stacking spools of thread. Unfortunately the "pins" are not tall enough to hold the upper layer of spools in-place if the box gets tipped.
    Dave Evans likes this.
  3. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    i store thread on their bobbin holders and the rest in a plastic shoe box
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,116 / 0
    Joann's also sells large clear plastic boxes with spool rods. I keep my spool in the boxes because they are easy to stack and I can see the thread colors through the clear plastic.
  5. Bugsy Member

California
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I have some shallow Plano boxes (6 compartment). Each holds two dozen spools of thread, floss or wire,...or 30 spools of Lagartun. My extra stock is kept in a plastic bin. I'm not going to give up desk space for spool racks, and I don't care for dusty floss.
  6. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Went to Joann's and bought two of the artbin boxes that RustE mentioned. Perfect. Thanks for the advice.
  7. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    You're Welcome. I store majority of my materials in ArtBin containers. Thankfully I was able to buy most of them on sale.
  8. darwin101 New Member

N/A
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If you subscribe to Joann's newsletter they send out lots of coupons for 40 & 50 % off and free shipping. That helps make the prices for plastic more reasonable.;)
    Dave Evans likes this.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,116 / 0
    There's a Joann's and a Michael's not far from my home so I'm set for craft stores. I too have used the art storage bins for some items. I take advantage of the coupons quite often. I buy my waterproof markers from Michael's.