Three Things You Might Like To Know

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Aug 20, 2013.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I change my tippet material every year. I always felt that the exposure to sunlight weakens it. I replace my lightest stuff every year and the heavier every two years. I try to keep it in the dark but somehow it always makes it into the sunlight.
  3. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    thanks for that. it is still hard to find what ya want so the best I can think of is try as many poles and different line weights as ya can till ya find one that is right for you in what ever pole or line weight or length ya want.
    there is still more I am sure. have fun and tight lines.
    Outlaw :confused:
  4. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0
    I liked the article on rod action.. i tend to agree more with Seim than Lapage though..

thinking of it in terms of say a dragster Lapage would say the butt is the engine but i think the line is the engine the tip is the transmission the mid is the drive line and the butt is a big old fat pair of slicks making sure you don't lose traction.. it is the tip that makes the rod go the mid section transfers it and the butt keeps everything stable and puts the power to the road.

but the difference is probably a perception thing not a reality..

at any rate i think the article did a decent job of describing rod actions while at the same time make it certain that there are exceptions and that nothing was set in stone..

personally i like rods that load easily into the butt and are fast action. but not many manufacturers do that..
  5. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the tippet one. I've never ever had to throw any mono or fluoro out because it's gone bad. Mono has a shelf life of many many years, like 10 or 15 or more, if stored in a cool, dark, dry place. 5 Years would be a conservative number.

I have used spools of everything from 7X to 50# that are more than 10 years old and they've always been fresh as can be. I have saltwater gear reels spooled with 40# mono that sit in the sun all day or even for days at a time, and I replace that line every 2 or 3 years. A spool of mono stored properly will last forever.

The ONLY time I've ever had mono weaken was the 4" piece of 25# mono I used to nailknot and surgeons loop at the end of my 3wt line that I had fished for 3 years in hot CA desert conditions and that had been snagged and dragged through much brush along tiny creeks, and it broke when I tried to pull it out of a tree snag.

Just my experiences, your mileage may vary, but this paranoid mentality of throwing out tippet and telling people it's a good idea to do so always makes me snicker...
    ceviche and Nooksack Mac like this.
  6. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Great thoughtful info. I've always hated half-assed and poorly elaborated explanations. The article on rod action is very enlightening. It's very generous that Orvis put all cards on the table on these issues. I suspect that this sharing has the potential to move the industry forward in a manner that might better serve fly anglers everywhere.

--Dave
  7. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1