Throat samples

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tony, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Fished Lone today nothing great in the catching dept. in fact its been slow the last 2 times I've been out there only 5 to hand today which after a few stellar trips bringing 15 or better to hand was strange but not at all a letdown, it was a beautiful day and I had a fine time trying to figure out what might work and of course the fish I did catch were very nice as seems to be the case there. Lots of midges coming off in a variety of sizes 22's to 14's but perhaps it was the abundance that caused the fish to never really get fired up on anything, most of the people I talked to were doing poorly in the catching dept. also. Ok now to the reason for my post I took a throat sample from one of the fish and to my surprise it contained the following 2 very small snails, 4 #22 chironomids tan, 2 #18 chironomids dark olive, 8 phantom midge pupae clear, 1 leech roughly an inch long, 1 very small scud and the crazy thing 8 isopods also known as freshwater sow bugs
    [​IMG]
    they ranged in size from about a 1/8th inch up to about 3/8ths of an inch darker on top lighter beneath very flat and well segmented with distinctive legs protruding out the sides I was pretty amazed to see them and can't wait to whip up a few patterns to try. I was also pretty amazed to see such a smorgasbord in one sample, very opportunistic feeding even with so many chironomids coming off but I can understand it, one isopod=many chironomids.
    Tony

2. Tony,

What pattern and size did you catch your fish on? I'd like to see a sowbug as I've never seen one. Looks like the fish weren't all that selective with the food mix.

3. I caught 2 fish on a #14 grey scud and 2 others on a #16 olive chironomid pattern and one on a small nyerges nymph that I tried because of the distinctive legs I haven't tied or fished any patterns that would replicate the isopod yet but when I do and if they work I'll post pictures, its funny last week I caught 15 using a olive scud pattern I wonder if the fish were seeing that as an isopod or did it just look like something good to eat it didn't really look like an isopod.
    tony

mat1226 likes this.
  4. Hey Tony, It was nice to meet you today and I wanted to Thank You for the info you shared today at the Lake..

5. Taxon...Paging Taxon... Tell us more please.

6. I fished Lone a few days ago and the fish didn't really key up until after 10:30. I ended up with around 15 fish but it did seem that most people were struggling and those I talked to also mentioned that in previous days the fishing had been much better. The key I found was moving around, which I've run into before on the lake. I think when the early mid hatches spread fish around the lake that the fish get a bit territorial, with so much food they don't wander as much. I'd hit a couple fish in an area and then nothing, I'd move pick up a couple fairly quickly and then nothing. Even though this has happened to me before it took me awhile to figure it out. Once I did I was in to fish fairly consistently before I left to catch the 5:30 ferry.

As for the scud pattern, I've also hit a couple of days where a small olive micro leech (pretty much a scud) couldn't miss. I've never sampled a sow bug though.

mat1226 likes this.
  7. That is a good tip I've mostly spent the last couple of trips just anchored up trying different things rather than moving around much but that's just me being lazy wanting to give new ties a fair try.
    Tony

8. Tony - for what it's worth (not much, probably), my definition of giving new ties a fair try is about 10 minutes if I'm in an area that has working fish. Sure, there are slow days when it doesn't matter how hard I look for the perfect spot to anchor up and the best way to get a few is commit to one spot and let the fish move through . . .but usually the timer is always ticking . . . try something . . .adjust . . .adjust . . .and adjust again until I'm getting takes consistently. Sometimes that adjustment is just what Ira describes, picking up and moving to try a new spot.

Irafly likes this.