Throw bags

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by 4tortuga, Jan 10, 2013.

1. 4tortuga New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Which ones do you like and why?
  2. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +846 / 1
    I've used the Big Mouth 70' from Salamander for the last few years. Consider how quickly you can repack it, so test them out before you buy.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Mine is from NRS. On each of my boats. Very satisfied, simple and even the kids can use them.
  4. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    I have a bunch of them and the problem with any throw bag is that it takes regular practice to become effective. I've taken numerous water safety classes and the funniest part is watching all of us experienced boaters trying to throw the stupid things.

Then, a few years ago, I ran into a new type at a tradeshow. First time I threw it, it was deadly accurate. They said their tests showed even 8 year olds could use it effectively and I believe that, at least compared to normal ones. I bought one for a friend's cataraft who I knew was unlikely to train with a regular one and I wish I'd bought one for me so I'll probably get one too.

It's made by the Fox 40 Whistle company and is called the Fox 40 Water Safety Throw. It's a bright yellow hard plastic torpedo-looking thing with a handle you hold to toss it. It looks strange and almost toy-like but it was very easy to throw - and re-throw if you missed as the plastic torpedo weight provided enough mass to get it out there again quickly.
    http://www.fox40shop.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.16141/.f
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I teach safe power boating classes through USsailing and have the same problem that Freestone has. You have to practice with these things. Better yet, go through an entire capsize drill.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  6. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Freestone, that Fox throw bag looks good & well priced, but how do you stuff the rope back in it once used? Easy?
  7. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    Robert, it is very easy to stuff back in but the beauty of it is that it can be re-thrown very easily without re-stuffing.

It is great to have on board for passengers to use so you can still row. It is especially great if you are the one in the water that they are trying to rescue! It reminds me of the old avalanche beacon joke about giving the easiest to use one to your buddy so he/she can save your butt!
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. 4tortuga New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Thanks Freestone looks like a pretty cool design. I too was wondering how easy it is to stuff. Nice that you can re-throw without re-stuffing. Just put in an order
  9. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Thanks, Sue. Nice tip.
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    +1 Thanks! I needed to get one of these, and I'll take your recommendation!

Whoa! I'll have to reconsider. I went to the site, and they want $14.41 for shipping!!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!!! $35 isn't too bad for the throw bag, but $14.41 for shipping....that's too much!
    There must be some place where I can get one without supporting a rip-off shipping charge.

11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    OK, I found some called "Fox 40's" on Amazon for much less. don't know if they're the same thing Freestone linked to, but the price is looking better. On sale now, one with 50 feet of rope is about $18.89 and shipping is $6.99 for a total of only $25.88. A similar one with 90' of rope totals out at about $35 including the shipping. that's much more like it.
    I don't paddle whitewater, but I think a throw bag might be good to have along on any float.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Throw bags suck. Hate them. Yup, practice, practice, practice! I heard about the Fox ones, my throw bags are getting damned old and need to start replacing then.

I always thought a spear gun would be way to go. Just make sure you shoot for a non vital. ;) Guaranteed if you hit them they won't get away. Lol
    Bill Aubrey and Jim Wallace like this.
  13. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    The Throw Bag is a conventional throw bag; not the same as the Fox 40 Water Safety Throw Sue posted the link to.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2
  14. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks. I think I'm going to follow Jerry's advice and see if I can't find my old spear gun.:D

So far, 95% of my paddling has been solo, on flat and/or slow moving water, with no one else around. I don't kayak whitewater. I float some rivers with friends, usually in a drift boat, so I suppose one might come in handy for rescue during a river float.
    However, a throw bag would be useless dead weight for me to bring along on my solo estuary and tidal creek paddles, as well as on trout lakes.

15. Shapp Active Member

Back to the state of my birth (OR)
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    Well I bring a throw bag on just about any trip, flat water or otherwise and just use it for my boat rope. I like Jans, sturdy bags and reasonable price. If you can't get good at throwing a regular throw bag with a few practice throws, you might want to rethink being a boater :)
    http://www.stitchesnstuff91.com/throwbagsropebags.html
    Bill Aubrey and Jim Wallace like this.
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    True, but like I said, just excess baggage on my solo flat water trips. I usually have an anchor system rigged up. I've been trying to avoid carrying any excess gear, especially stuff that I never use. Sometimes I have to portage everything 100 yards. My anchor system is light enough, and always comes in handy.
    I might get a throw bag for river floats. I've thrown one before, and I agree it takes a few practice throws to get the hang of it.
  17. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    LOL. There are people who can't ever toss the things. And I know two who are damned good oarsman. They just have no coordination throwing things. You should've seen them try to toss a football on the banks. It was hilarious. Where the speargun joke came from actually.
  18. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +727 / 0
  19. Shapp Active Member

Back to the state of my birth (OR)
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    Like I said, if you can't use a throw bag you might want to re-think being a boater (whitewater that is). I don't care how well of an oars-man or paddler you are, if you can't do the saftey too, you aren't on my trip. Kind of like, you might be a real good rock climber on lead, but if you can't belay another climber, do you want them as a partner?
    :)
  20. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Well, I should clarify, they could throw the bag, but wasn't pretty and not accurate. Where I could put it right where I aimed. And, having Larry around was well worth him being a shitty thrower (he was a military medic, could do field surgery). But agree, you need the basic skills when you're out there.