Thurlow and Wenner

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by PeteM, May 21, 2014.

1. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Have any of you fished Thurlow lake or the Wenner Lakes near Winthrop? I'll be camping in the area over the weekend and am planning to fish a number of local lakes but I haven't tried these before. Searches online haven't revealed much on these lakes. I was wondering if any of you have experience with these lakes and if there is trail access. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete
  2. Dryguy New Member

kirkland, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Wenner Lakes are on private land and as such are unavailable to fish. Not sure of Thurlow.
    Mike
  3. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    Not entirely true. The two most northern Wenner lakes are on WDFW land and can be accessed off of Finley Canyon Rd. The fenced-off land at the north end of the lake is private but you can park here and walk-in on an old road on the west side of the most northern lake. It's a bit of a walk but I would pack a tube in and fish the northern lake. You won't be alone as the people who own the southern lakes access that lake through their property and drive right to it.
    Scott Salzer and triploidjunkie like this.
  4. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    I appreciate the information. I am always careful about private property so your responses have been helpful. Thank you!

http://okanoganwa.mapsifter.com/default.aspx?parcel=3323300009

I also found this link. It shows the property lines for the area. It looks like Freestone is correct on WDFW land around Wenner Lake 3 and the top portion of Lake 2. DryGuy is correct for the area south of that around Lake 2 and others.

Pete
  5. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    Pete, TerraScan is awesome! I love the various county's online parcel mapping software and make frequent use of it.

When I first went into these lakes, I printed out those same property maps and took them with me. I had written the names of the land owners on the parcels and highlighted the public parcels. That way, I could be sure I wasn't trespassing and could also show a landowner that I'd done my due diligence. I do this any time I am exploring new places with both public and private parcels so as not to get confused and also to show landowners that I know exactly where I am should the need arise. Actually though, the second lake down the chain is completely on state land. Only after continuing on the road past that lake will you get to a gate/fence with a private property sign at the bottom of parcel 3323300007.
  6. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Snohomish County has a similar site that shows you parcel information. I was glad to see that Okanogan county has one as well. My grandparents use to have property in Winthrop. Most of the neighbors have all changed but it would be good to see the names of owners and meet them when I can. This is a great tool.