Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tied my first fly tonight

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Skyler Evans 
#1 ·
Something I plan to use off the jetty. It took forever and I already know a bunch of things I probably should do differently. It's ugly as hell and my vise sucks but I'll try again tomorrow.
Automotive exterior Automotive design Hood Electric blue Bumper

See less See more
#3 ·
You are doomed and it all starts with the words "I just tied my first fly" :D

I too agree with Brian, save that fly. In 5 or 10 years you can look back at it and see how far you've come.

Now that you have the sickness, keep tying, keep practicing technique, keep improving. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Congrats on your decision to start tying.

#6 ·
Congratulations. May your flies be fruitful and multiply.

There is nothing wrong with your vise. All it has to do is hold the hook. I wore out the cross pin that holds the handle on my old Thompson A, by over tightening on 2/0 and larger steelhead irons. I replaced it with a piece of a 16 penny nail and probably got 10 more years out of it.

"It took forever and I already know a bunch of things I probably should do differently." This is the key to better fly tying. You are already on the right track.

TC

#10 ·
There is nothing wrong with your vise. All it has to do is hold the hook. I wore out the cross pin that holds the handle on my old Thompson A, by over tightening on 2/0 and larger steelhead irons. I replaced it with a piece of a 16 penny nail and probably got 10 more years out of it.
The hook kept moving around in the vise, maybe I didn't have it placed in the proper position so I'll see if I can make it work better.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, I'll be sure to save this one, the hook shank got all chewed up as I struggled with the vise so it may have not held up well in the salt anyhow.

#7 ·
You are doomed and it all starts with the words "I just tied my first fly
Hey! You stole my line!!!

:)

Unfortunately, it is true. I've never heard of anyone who stopped tying flies unless they physically could no longer do so. You'll start buying more and more materials and trying more and more patterns....

it's like an addiction.

"Hello... my name is _______, I'm a Tieaholic."

Groupg: "Hello _____."

#8 ·
Congrats! You will soon have drawers overflowing with materials (some that you only use once in a year) and you'll make more trips to the fly shop than maybe you should.

Like others have said, do save the first one, I mounted mine on the wall above my tying desk so that I can look at it anytime I tie an especially ugly fly and remind myself that it's still better than the first one :oops:

Reactions: Eyejuggler
#9 ·
Hope you have a good income with lots of discretionary cash, no kids to educate, a wife that doesn't mind bring left alone evenings and weekends, and your house paid off, cause you got it BAD. A nasty coke habit would be cheaper. Welcome to the "sick puppy" club.

#14 ·
If memory serves I think you can adjust the cam handle on your vise for a tighter grip. Maybe your cam is maxed out before getting a firm enough grip on the hook. Loosen the rear knurled barrel and rotate the handle and its shaft. That should bring the cam closer or further from the knurled barrel thus adjusting the grip. This description may not be quite right due to elapsed time but I'm pretty sure there is some adjustment available.

Just take the whole thing apart so you can see how it works, clean it with 0000 steel wool, lubricate it and put it back together. Its always a good idea to understand your tools.

TC

#18 ·
Well done & as stated . . . welcome to the addiction! And save that one; my Sainted Mother saw my first creation lying on the kitchen table, swatted it & flushed it down the toilet. I don't think she did that because it looked "buggy;" I think the ugly factor came into play.

#20 ·
The good news was they generally looked like a fish might bite it and they were durable. I also picked up an Anvil Atlas for $60. I was able to make the other vise hold the hook well but I had commandeered a shelf as my c-clamp station for this little experiment and my wife wanted it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.