Tiemco 205

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Adam O'Hair, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

Tiemco (umpqua) used to make a hook called a 205. Apparently, they are no longer in production. I have been out of commission lately, with a newborn and I hadn't tried to attain more 205s until recently. So, my question for you fine folks is do you know of another similar hook? Or, do you know of someone who has a bunch of the 205 hooks and would be willing to sell some?
    Thanks for the help.
    Adam

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

There are numerous hook comparison charts scattered around the web. Just google hook comparison chart

3. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

Tim, thanks for the reply. I wish it were that easy. Of the charts I have found, none list the 205. So, the search continues...
    -Adam

4. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thats a odd hook to try to find. I don't see allot of 205BL out there any more, have you looked into changing to a rounder hook like the 206BL (just the rounder version of the 205), if not, what size are you using. A small kale hook look allot like a 205, you would have to walk to the bait section of the store to find them. www.spiritpond.bc.ca has some 205BL's still in stock, I would buy them out if this is a hook that you need it, I would also start calling catalogs companies and store asking them if they have any, mostly they will not show a hook that is not in production but that does not mean they don't have any. . . . I will keep a eye out for somthing similar for you. . . . but I think the 206BL is your best bet.

5. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

The 206 is a good alternative for smaller flies; 206 only goes down to size 12 and is a very light wire. I'm looking primarily for 8s, 10s and 12s in the 205s.

I think you may be right, the only alternative seems to be bait style hooks like the Mustad 37160.

Thanks for the help, I'd better start calling fly shops and catalogs. The search continues...
    -Adam