Tiger Muskies - Where & What fly patterns...

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by PhlyPhisher, Nov 24, 2007.

1. PhlyPhisher

PhlyPhisher New Member

I'm interested in fishing for Tiger Muskies. I've been looking for some patterns to tie. I've got a few but I'd like to get some more suggestions. I'd also love to get some advice as to how to catch them and where to fish for them.

2. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/warmwater/warmwater_2005.pdf

my guess is if you are interested in it then you have seen this but just to be sure, im planning the same thing for next year so i found all the info here. it has a section about the tiger muskies and then at the bottom is shows a list of lakes and what they have, just look for the lakes that have tm in their list.

from what ive seen, big bushy/flashy/noisy marabou flies seem to be the best.

3. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    Last year I went out with the local warm water biologists and shocked up tigers for a survey in a lake west of Spokane. We pumped the stomaches of the few we got in the boat and I talked to them about the other lakes they have been sampling.It seems that they almost exclusively eat soft rays (i.e. trout and pikeminnows ) in almost every lake.If you don't have a huge population of either then they will just roam instead of behaving like a good self respecting game fish.They told me that they had tagged fish that would cover several miles a day hunting. If you fish a lake with a better than average trout or pikeminnow population they will be in traditional ambush areas though. BTW the largest they had shocked up was almost 60lbs! it had a 3 lb trout inside.......maybe tie up some 14in clousers ;) Good luck and love to hear how you do.ptyd

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    If I ever get a boat, I do plan on chasing them, but without one I just won't based on what I know of both sides of its family tree. I've fished for both parents so I figure if I was mobile enough to cover tons of prime territory in a hit and run style without rowing like a viking slave and having to kick till I cramp up to hold position while I try to drop a giant fly into a 4 foot wide hole in a 15 mile an hour wind off my casting shoulder, I'd stand a good chance:rofl:. I plan on throwing 10 to 12 inch rainbow trout or Golden olive Cotton Candies on a 12 weight until I figure the game out. After that I'd find out just how small I could go in the fly department. I see no use throwing small clousers on an eight weight until I've worked out a game plan. There is so little info out there for the fly guy that YOU have to write the book. It's not sport at that point, it's research.

I'd start by hammering the classic ambush points hard. If that didn't work out I'd quickly cover weedy flats if any, starting with bays. Then start working the edges. The edge of the littoral zone, dropoffs, creekbeds (okay creekbeds first). Basically just like you'd hunt any apex predator but starting with pike and musky haunts. It's not hard to devise your tactics, just classic Big Game hunting. Understand your prey and what he wants, then put yourself where he's most likely to pass by and offer him something he might want to chew on.

5. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    iagree

6. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

60lbs??? That would be a new World Record Tiger Muskie, and quite an eating machine. :eek:

I fish gear for muskies with my dad each year on Eagle Lake in Ontario. They have some big ones there, and it's considered one of the top spots for the next record (current one stands @ 69lbs or so).

A couple brothers who book the same week as us each year @ the lodge flyfish for them (and have been doing so for many years). The biggest one they'd ever hooked - fly or gear- was on a red and yellow rabbit strip pattern about 6" long (looked like a over/under string leech). The muskie, which he and his brother guestimate was in the upper 50lb range, rolled on the line and snapped the wire tippet at the knot right next to the boat.

Even a 40lb or bigger Muskie is a rare beast. I've only seen one I had on the line for sure in all the years I've been going up there - it jumped clear of the water while taking a chugging topwater plug. Threw the hook after a great fight about 5 minutes later. bawling:

I'm going to give them a go around here with the fly this year, and I'm guessing similar flies to what those guys use will work. Most were about 6 - 9" and have quite a bit of flash and movement.

Don't worry about hook placement ie getting the hook toward the rear of the fly like we do for salmon or steelhead. These fish are like bass - they engulf their prey.

And don't worry too much about going to HUGH flies - some of the bigger muskies we've hooked up there have been on a jig and (2")minnow while fishing for shore lunch walleyes.

Muskie are opportunistic feeders - one guy this September caught one of the lakes bigger Muskie (55lbs) on a small 4" Rapala casting off the lodge's dock in 3' of water!!! That's what all the guides were talking about when we arrived - nobody had been fishing that bay for muskies for many years.

See you out there!

Brian

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Yes small works indeed. However look at time in the water and number of exposures of plug or inline spinnerbait vs the fly. You can fish gear through holding water repeatedly in the time it takes most fly fishermen to cast and fish through once. There's much less aggravation/annoyance factor with flies. Comparing a plug size to fly size is apples and oranges for those reasons. I still put my money on getting their attention with bulk.

8. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Amen. The bigger the better if'n you ask me. I try my best to emmulate the musky lures you see in upper Midwest sporting good stores. I figure, "hey that what the conventional guys are using to catch the hogs, so I might as well too."

I've posted this pic before, but this is sample of what I use. I can't hardly think of a pike/musky fly I tie that doesn't have a spinner blade and skirt on it. I've also go a bunch of in-line spinners, a la "bucktail" configuration that I fish with. I go with size 5 and 6 spinner blades, tandem 4/0 to 6/0 hooks, and as much rabbit as I can put on there.

Pike and musky are my favorite. I get excited just talking about them the way most guys around here talk about steelhead.

Look up "double cowgirl," or any of the Musky Mayhem offerings. I try to emmulate those types of lures as much as I can. They're killers.

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Those must sound like a swarm of locusts when you cast them:eek:

10. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Nah, it's more of a "F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F" casting them. The blades are so large that they take alot of resistence to move, and flying through the air ain't enough to spin them.

Propeller spinners, which I used to use really.whizzed when you cast them.