Tiger shark eats kayak fishermen's catch

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by WonkyWapiti, Apr 11, 2013.

1. WonkyWapiti Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    Yeah, the wife showed that vid to me this morning.

All I can say is: if you fish in shark waters, expect to see sharks!

Although I think I'd be havin' some brown streaks in the BVDs if that happened to me!!! :)
  3. fisherjon Member

Oak Harbor,Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    yah i would of had to spray out my kayak when i got home
    freestoneangler likes this.
  4. wetfeet Member

tacoma washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Saw that on youtube earlier tonight. That guy resposponded extremly well considering, I would have been paddle fast asap!
  5. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    Why I prefer fishing and wading the fresh waters of the Rocky Mountain West!
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    That dude stayed really cool, and handled that well. It was lucky for him that the shark went for the fish before he had the fish to hand.
    Like a lot of kayak anglers, I use a "lip-gripper" for bottom fish, rather than a net. I like a net when I'm fishing for salmon or trout.
  7. WonkyWapiti Member

Maple Valley, WA
    It made me think of a time that I was body boarding on the west coast of Australia and I was standing in chest deep water when I felt something bump my leg. That creeped me out.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    That's where I'd go bodyboarding if I had a death wish! The plane would probably crash before I got there, but that's known to be one of the sharkier zones for playing in the water.
  9. WonkyWapiti Member

Maple Valley, WA
    I was in the Marine Corps at the time and had been 200 miles inland in the outback basically for wargames for the previous two weeks. They trucked us to the coast for a couple of days of R&R and I was just happy to not be sleeping with scorpions and spiders and didn't think about the nasty things in the water at the time.
  10. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    On a trip to Oz back in the 90s my buddy and I dove and snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef out of Cairns on the east side.

All we saw were small blacktip reef sharks.

Although I've seen some pretty large six-gills here in Puget Sound (not diving, just due to knowing some aquarium marine collectors) those little tropical guys were enough for me! Wouldn't want to meet up with their larger cousins!! ;)
  11. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    I'd definitely have a kayak to clean & disinfect. Wow!
  12. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    I don't think I would have tried to pull it into the boat. I could jsut imagine that thing jumping up for it. Ugh.
  13. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +214 / 0
    This bait fisherman is a whimp....a fly fisherman would have put on a BIG streamer and caught the shark....now that would be a story!!!
    WonkyWapiti likes this.