Time Change...time for a change

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Mar 9, 2014.

?

What should we do with the time changes?

1. Keep as is

27.9%
  2. Choose one and never change again

51.2%
  3. Split the hour change and never change again

20.9%
  1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I for one would prefer we choose one (or maybe split the difference) and leave it...what say you? These changes do nothing but screw up folks sleep patterns.

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I for one, have grown tired of pulling-out the vehicle/oven/other manuals & "springing-forward, falling back" each year. Selfish reason, I'll admit but that's my personal "want." On the plus side, my computer, phone, & TV perform that service for me & I thank them for that, lol. Hell, even tho I'm retired, I'm still up at 0300 every morning . . . but I never miss a sunrise & THAT has kick-started my day for many years.

FinLuver and Krusty like this.
  3. PT

PT Physhicist

Daylight Savings isn't a problem I see needing a fix.

FinLuver and RubberLegs123 like this.
  4. teedub

teedub Active Member

I can think of about seventy-five other things I would rather see 535 lawyers debate and take five years to decide not to decide .

FinLuver, Steve Call, Lugan and 2 others like this.
  5. Theron

Theron Active Member

I would like it left alone, no DST. I like my morning daylight and being to get started early without having to wait for sunrise.

prestonco and freestoneangler like this.
  6. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I just quit paying attention to clocks in general.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. chief

chief Active Member

This may be an urban legend, but I have been told that the original switch to daylight savings back in the day was due to the Kingsford Charcoal lobby. More daylight in the evening = more people purchasing charcoal and firing up the BBQ....

Salmo_g and freestoneangler like this.
  8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Change is hard. The older I get, the harder it is to change. But change is the only constant in the universe, so just because change is hard is no excuse for not dealing with it. There are eleventy other things more important to mess with than DST.

Sg

9. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I kinda like the idea that, at least somewhere in my time zone, the sun is directly overhead at noon. After all, they don't call it a.m. and p.m. for nothing!

That said, I agree with others who don't think this rises to a sufficiently important problem to merit the attention of congress. Let's just be thankful that we don't live in China, where the entire country has to use the time that is sun time in Beijing. The country is spread across about 5 time zones and in far western China noon comes at about sunrise!

D

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Why let the little things bother you. Like was said, there are bigger problems in the world to worry about. From what I'm been reading about that there are two states that don't do this. Maybe you can move to one of them.

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Well, considering the other things that get changed (or proposed to be changed), this seems quite appropriate. Pick whichever option is best for fishing and let's be done with it.

12. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

It a ridiculous annoying yearly ritual that is no longer relevant.

Stop f*%king with the clock.

Olive bugger likes this.
  13. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

The sun does not honor daylight savings time, the earth's orbit is very predictable and we'd be better off if we didn't try to change it. We're just foolooing ourselves. It's stupid.

14. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    We in Arizona have decided not to participate. Only AZ and Hawaii do not observe DST. I works for me.
    It does mess me up somewhat because now Mountain Standard (AZ) and PDT are the same.
    jesse

15. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Daylight Savings Time results in an hour less daylight in the morning and an hour more daylight in the late afternoon/evening. So, I guess it all depends on whether one likes to fish before work or after work. When that was an issue, I preferred the latter. ;)

FinLuver likes this.
  16. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

"When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket." :D

17. TD

TD Active Member

Took the words right out of my mouth, except this is the PC version. The version as I heard it said, "only a white man is fool enough to think ...."

18. onefish

onefish New Member

I love the extra hour of daylight in the evening after work. This gives the working guy a better chance to get a bit more time on the water. If you are already retired what does it matter. Keep it on daylight savings.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  19. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

Daylight Saving Time has been used in the U.S. and in many European countries since World War I. At that time, in an effort to conserve fuel needed to produce electric power, Germany and Austria took time by the forelock, and began saving daylight at 11:00 p.m. on April 30, 1916, by advancing the hands of the clock one hour until the following October. Other countries immediately adopted this 1916 action: Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Turkey, and Tasmania. Nova Scotia and Manitoba adopted it as well, with Britain following suit three weeks later, on May 21, 1916. In 1917, Australia and Newfoundland began saving daylight.
    [​IMG]The plan was not formally adopted in the U.S. until 1918. 'An Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States' was enacted on March 19, 1918. [See law]It both established standard time zones and set summer DST to begin on March 31, 1918. Daylight Saving Time was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. After the War ended, the law proved so unpopular (mostly because people rose earlier and went to bed earlier than people do today) that it was repealed in 1919 with a Congressional override of President Wilson's veto. Daylight Saving Time became a local option, and was continued in a few states, such as Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and in some cities, such as New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

20. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I like that after-work fishing season is accompanied by a really awesome 10-day forecast this year. Skwalas should happen soon, just waiting for valley snow to melt and water temps to go up a bit.