Time For New Tube: Creek Company ODC420 or FishCat4 ??

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by rattlesnakeflyguy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Alright, well considering Cabelas is having this free shipping promo thru June 23rd & also free shipping on orders over $100 for Father's Day thru June 16th with promo code 684DAD...it's time to get a brand new tube!!

In light of your experiences & opinions, which one would you recommend I purchase? I'm 6'5" 190 - a pretty lanky guy with long arms. I've read some great things about the 420, but others keep pulling me toward the FC4. What do you all think? The...

#1 ODC 420 (now $179.99 on sale @ Cabelas)
    or
    #2 FishCat 4 ($159.99 @ Cabelas)

Thanks guys & gals in steering me in the right direction,
    Dan
  2. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Was me I'd take a closer look at how I'd be using the tube. Are you strictly gonna be fishing drive-to lakes where a heavier and bulkier tube won't be an issue? Or will you also be rolling it up and packing it in to mountain or remote lakes?

I don't know much about the ODC tube but have a 3YO Super Fat Cat. Even with its inflatable seat and back, the SFC is made from stiff, heavy material that resists being rolled or folded into a compact package. It also tips my scales at a hefty 11 pounds. But its design makes it much more efficient for kicking all day while allowing me to sit with my ass completely out of the water, a real plus on cold days. It's urethane bladder is much more resistant to leaks and punctures than cheaper vinyl ones while the big Hawlkey-Roberts valve inflates and deflates in a fraction of the time as the smaller Boston or twist-type valves found on cheaper boats.

For hike-in lakes I prefer a smaller, lighter tube like the TU Gunnison. Its cheaper vinyl bladder and twist valve are a small price to pay for a boat that weighs just 6 pounds and rolls up into a cylinder about 8-9" in diameter by about 15" long, the size of a small backpacking tent and perfect for strapping on an exterior frame backpack. Unlike the Hawlkey-Roberts valves, I can inflate the twist-type valve using just lungpower, allowing me to leave a heavy pump at home.

Don't get me wrong: one boat isn't better than the other. While there's no way I'd think about lugging the big SFC more than a mile or so, the little Gunnison sits low and cold in the water on late fall or early spring trips. Like a floating line and a clear intermediate, each is better suited for a particular purpose than the other.

K
  3. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Another I'd look at is W.W. Griggs. I have one of their tubes and is fantastic. Inflatable seat/backrest, very comfortable to fish from and it glides through the water real easy. Also, they are almost dirt cheap.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
  5. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +402 / 0
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I love my super fat cat. I can deflate, roll and pack it into a pack along with all my overnight essentials and I'll hike it into just about anywhere. I hiked into a high alpine lake last year passing a ranger who laughed at the fool carrying such a pack up that three point scramble. i'm not a weight weenie, it is heavy, but it is comfortable, durable and a great platform from which to catch lots of fish. I have used no other float tubes, but based on my satisfaction with this one I would recommend it.
  7. Connor Parrish Member

Covington, Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have the ODC 420. or as i call it the stoner floater. the best tube i have been in. and it is on sale at Joes (formally G.I. Joes) for like 120 or something. it is easy to carry, easy to manuver in the water. the adjustable seat makes for a comfortable day on the water. the seat also gets you up and out of the water, i have had mine for 3 years now. however you probably can't go wrong with either.
  8. rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

E34
    Thanks! I will be there! Thanks for your review Connor...you confirm the great quality of the ODC420 for such a great price. Does Joe's still have that tube at that price? Mumbles, that SFC is pretty cool as well. I think I'll go the Rattlesnake demo and check out their demos and just see how they handle. Since I'm on a tight budget the ODC420 is where I will probably go for around $130 you just can't beat that price. Everyone I've talked to raves about the ODC420...I do like the Red SFC4 Deluxe on Cabelas for $224 or something like that...it's color is sweet...red on black...
    Sincerely, Dan