Time to warm your bones: Kona mahimahi and marlin report..and Mingo's aquarium part 7

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mingo, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Time to warm your bones: Kona mahimahi and marlin report..and Mingo's aquarium pa

Livin' the dream!

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Time to warm your bones: Kona mahimahi and marlin report..and Mingo's aquarium pa

Love it!

3. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

Time to warm your bones: Kona mahimahi and marlin report..and Mingo's aquarium pa

thanks mingo and minga........i needed that....

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:

Thanks man........this was a pretty decent day.....but shit, we've all spent lots of cash for skunk trips with no fish before eh?

Yep, good eyes! That beach is gorgeous.........and worth the hassle of getting to it. Once you finally hit the end of the trail, that first beer is mighty tasty......

:rofl: very true. I readily admit that.

Borski sliders in 6, 4 and 2...even 1/0 if you tie your own because those will attract trevally, larger goatfish and bones. They look like lizardfish and various shrimps. They get crushed. BoneJovis in smaller sizes. Clear, chartreuse and Pink sparkle estaz flies with tiny beadheads. Tan, pale pink and orange beadhead Scuds in 12 and 10 (too small and you hook too many sergeant majors). Black bunny leeches and woolly buggers..they look like the Jumping Jacks that everything on the reef scarfs down like popcorn. But really any small shrimpy looking fly will work. Small bonefish flies like Charlies and Scampis in tan....best to stick with neutral colors. Just keep visual contact with your fly. If you think something is breathing on it, give it a quick strip set. Reef fish can be ridiculously hard to hook depending on the time of day , their mood, how many beers I've had.......it's fishing, just in a much warmer place. I like 3, 4 and 5 wts for close-in reef work, 5s, 6s and 7s on reef edges but if you are where barracuda, trevally or bones might lurk, you can't go wrong with an 8.

Thanks Boot. I love chasing everything that will bite, but those funky colored reef critters get under your skin. There are dozens and dozens of species I have yet to catch. Some of them are a fluke, like a herbivore that hits a shrimp pattern out of curiosity .......but fluke situations happen often enough to not surprise me any more and they confirm that you really never know what will hit. heh, I use the smaller needlefish to stir my drinks...and Magwa won the contest two years ago with a huge trumpet fish! No species or size restrictions make for a wacky and at times bizarre competition. Even lizardfish count, but causing your buddies to fork over $8 for a cocktail after you catch a damn lizardfish will make them call you all kinds of names :rofl:

Thanks for the nice words people.

5. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Member

Home Page:

I'm with Scott... what flys do you suggest? We only use Crazy Charlie type flys for the bonefish... or an occasional streamer for the GT. Never tried the reef fish. Looks like fun.
    Aloha,
    Stan

6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Awesome report, great pics.
    Grazie