Tinsel help

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by gbeeman, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,705 / 0
    Before colored wire became readily available, I'd tear apart inoperative automotive relays and scavenge the wire. I ended up with a lot of unique colors and sizes... some I've never found for sale.

Unfortunately, they don't install relays as they once did in autos because they now use blasted chips and computer boards . .. which contain no wire and are therefore worthless as tying material. I tried using a burned out computer chip once but it didn't work worth crap :)
    Thom Collins likes this.
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    I tie lightning bugs a little different, using a grizzly collar and peacock thorax. They are my go-to nymph in smaller sizes.

Lightning bug.jpg
  3. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    I dunno...I bet a chip epoxied to a hook might work as well as a lot of the new patterns on magazine covers.
  4. Truckeetroutbum New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I was thinking you meant lightning bug while reading over this, as I used to confuse the two myself... As someone else stated, super glue. I use brush on zap-a-gap. seems to be the strongest and easiest to use... I use it alot for that type of application. Its a good trick for making dry flys a little more durable without adding the weight of a wire rib aswell, especially with biot and quill bodies, that tend to break after a few fish. You could get away with just head cement im sure but I think super glue is the best...Also i dont remember if anyone stated this or not but counter-wrapping the tinsel and wire helps hold things together when it gets chewed on. Personally I wrap the tinsel opposite of the thread, and then wrap the wire rib the same way as the thread to insure it is tied off nice and tight.
    Jackd likes this.