Tiny Baetis

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jim Speaker, May 16, 2013.

1. My near vision has been diminishing a little, says my optometrist, but apparently it's not too bad yet.

#20 parachute bwo emerger. #18 cdc loopback emerger.

[​IMG]

2. Vision looks good to me!! Mine is holding out too Jim!

Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. That's the largest danged dime I've ever seen! :D

4. I've never really tied a bunch of small flies
    looks difficult

5. Nice looking flies Jim.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  6. Thanks Bill. Now I just need to find me a baetis hatch and some feeders huh? ;)

7. That shouldn't be too hard. You made me want to tie up some of your flies.

8. Love to tie and fish those those tiny blue-winged olives in the spring and fall. IMG_0297-001.JPG

Jim Speaker likes this.
  9. I like that soft hackle.

10. It's John Smeraglio's (John owns a fly shop in Maupin) BWO Soft Hackle Emerger. The shuck is sparkle yarn, the abdomen is two strands of Krystalflash one black and one peacock twisted together, the thorax is a bit of olive dubbing and the hackle is starling.

11. Preston, what sizes are your flies?

12. I'm not sure, it was several years ago when that picture was taken. They were probably 22s and I tied them for the picture, so they were tied in smaller sizes than I normally would for fishing. I have rarely found it necessary to go below size 20 though I have used 22s on occasion in late winter and spring on the Yakima and in the fall for sea-run cutthroat in the rivers.

13. Jim, those are really nice. I use something similar to the parachute as my go-to pattern at Rocky Ford during winter, but I would be terrified to zoom in on those like you have and see the detail! I will use TMC 2487's in 18, 20 and 22, and sometimes the 22 is the only thing that works.

14. Thanks Dave. Yeah, the ones I tie on 2487 are for really selective emerger dialed fish that won't take the parachute emerger. I can barely see the fly in the film with just the little puff keeping it afloat.

Here are a few more. When I fish adults, typically only on rougher water, I go with an upright (#20 pictured). The soft hackle I tie uses olive biot body, olive dub, and partridge (#18 pictured). I also sometimes fish the ribbed softhackle you see there, just micro wire over thread and a green seed bead head, same dubbing ball thorax and partridge. The shucks on the two emergers are cream antron with a touch of lacquer before I clip it to length so the fibers stay together instead of splaying out.

[​IMG]

Richard Olmstead and Dave Evans like this.
  15. I have tied more patterns for BWO over the years than any other specific trout food. I have a crowded BWO box with lots of failed experiments and a few that seem to work. In my experience, trout on the Yakima in October/November have the pickiest taste in BWO patterns than anywhere else I've fished them. Sometimes, I need to go to Idaho or Montana in the fall to restore my faith (and ego) in BWO fishing.

Like Jim, I like a CDC emerger, tied either with a loop-wing or down-wing. For the dun, I favor a hair-wing style fly that rides low in the water. The one shown here has a scruffy body; more often I tend to use one with a more slender biot or floss body.

Dick

CDC BWO emerger (I add a few barbs of white CDC to the top to increase visibility for my old eyes)
    CDC BWO emerger.JPG.jpg

Olive deer-hair emerger
    deer hair emerger olive dun.JPG.jpg

16. Those are really nice. Indeed, my loopwing emergers were a response to frustration when fishing the Yakima Canyon in the Fall.

One day my boys and I were on the flats at Wymer. We watched a trio of guys all cast to a small pod of nice fish along the treed bank on river right. No rises. I knew they must be throwing patterns not subtle enough, and when they were wading back to their boat I went up there with my 2 weight, 6x and a loopback emerger. Starting from the bottom of the pod of 3 fish, picked each of them off in order. You could see the guys looking back like "what the hell???" :D