Tiny Creeks, Huge Fish

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by jmara6864, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

I thought that story was great. The fish was fine.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch people.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Oh, well since you put it that way with your first ever post, clearly I am just over reacting.

3. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

Yeah my bad. I forgot the cardinal rule of forums. He with the most posts knows the most about the topic at hand. Can't believe I forgot that one.;)

4. Nick Clayton

Media:
    You thinking that fighting brown trout for an hour to allow one to take a hero shot is "great" tells me far more about you than any missed cardinal rules.

Troutrageous and Derek Young like this.
  5. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

Your first reaction was clearly "hey, this is this Scooter guys first post. He obviously doesn't know anything. I'm gonna burn him."

So no need to backtrack at this point.

Keep it up jmara!!!! Always chasing the Great White Buffalo

6. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Haha Yup, I have a long standing history of hazing new guys.

Just thought it rather odd timing for your first post. I pictured you lurking through thread after thread until you came upon this heroic tale of the monster brown and you thought to yourself "I can lurk no longer.... this story has moved me so strongly that i must take the time to sign up so I can offer up my text support to a total stranger" .

I just find the timing of it all rather funny. And really, I don't care how many posts you have. If you think that his story shows an acceptable method of treating a resource then I really don't care to know you beyond this thread anyhow.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  7. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

There is one thing that you seem to be missing here. He made sure the fish was fine. And guess what............IT WAS.

I have to go back to your original reply on this thread, and I quote "Nice fish nonetheless. Good on you for putting in the work."

How do you knock a guy for treating a "resource" poorly by taking so long to land the fish, while also congratulating him for the amount of work he put into it?

8. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Oh right, I forgot his scientific method of insuring the fish was healthy... the age old " show up the next day and if you don't find a carcass it must be fine" technique. Trusted by marine biologists for generations...

And the "good on ya for putting in the work" was in reference to the leg work he put in, and the miles he put on, not towards the work he put on the fish. And if you'll note in the rest of my response I quite kindly suggested using stouter tackle or being willing to bust off such a nice fish, and I stand by that.

9. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

How do you know the fish isn't healthy as you seem to be implying?

10. Nick Clayton

Media:
    I don't. I do know that all things being equal, a fish hooked, and landed in say five minutes or so on a six weight stands a much higher chance of survival than the same fish being led around a pool for an hour.

Even the OP has admitted that he would do it differently. Why do you insist on defending the methods?

11. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

I have to assume, as the OP has stated that its been a long journey and a lot of work to catch a fish like this, that he knows how to properly fish without destroying resources.

But since we have the internet at our disposal lets do some research on weather or not we can truly draw a conclusion that this fish is most likely hurt or less than healthy....

exhibit #1 : http://www.tightline.biz/Improve Your Fishing Success.htm

12. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

Isn't there also a possibility that through adversity and struggle, this fish is even stronger and smarter for it?

This fish now has an epic story of survival to share fish its fellow aquatic buddies. The King Brown Trout of Washington Waters lives on!!!!!

13. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
  14. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

Exhibit # 2: http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/archives/2008/1008_catchandrelease.html

While it says here a goal is to get the fish in quickly, the overall idea is as follows : "The goal should be to land the fish before those signs of exhaustion appear and then to release it quickly, correctly, and safely."

Also stated : "Sure, you can probably land a four or five pound rainbow that you have accidentally hooked on a two-weight rod, but by the time you do, the fish is so exhausted you cannot revive it."

Obviously another emphasis was placed on Revival. If you use caution and are careful the fish is most likely going to be fine.

The argument could be made, as it is stated in this article, that catch and release in general is harmful to the fish. So if you are going to sit up on your moral high chair.....why don't you just stop fishing all together.

I am sure that fish you are holding in your picture didn't appreciate you killing it and holding it up by its gills.

15. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Was probably tasty on the grill though...

16. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

I would agree with that

17. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Fishing is a bloodsport. No denying that here. However if you're going to bother releasing a fish you may as well do so as quickly as possible. You're really grasping at straws here.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  18. ScooterSAY

ScooterSAY New Member

You've already hurt the fish by hooking it. Why release it at all?

19. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

At the end of the day, anyone who defends keeping a fish on for an hour in the middle of summer is not someone I'd want to fish with. As Nick said, that tells us far more than your posting history or lack thereof.
    Its not about whether the fish made it or not, its the fact that someone is willing to put such an incredible fish through that while proudly promoting himself as a catch and release guy. And for the record.... careful revival of a fish that has been fought to exhaustion does not involve holding it out of the water for a trophy shot.
    All of that said, I'll bet you two wouldn't be getting so much shit if you had just admitted to having made some mistakes that you could learn from - instead of stupid shit like saying people are just jealous of you. I certainly wouldn't be posting right now if you had.

20. jmara6864

jmara6864 Active Member

I should have used heavier tackle yes. I wouldn't fish there again without it. It was a mistake. Lets put this one to bed.

Builder, Derek Young and Nick Clayton like this.