Tip glue (will hot glue gun work)

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Griswald, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Hello, the thread I looked at had mixed reviews on this...I will order the fly rod building hot glue if needed to attach the tip, but to save a bit of time I am wondering if anyone uses hot glue guns or something else?

Best,
    Griswald
  2. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    Any 5-minute epoxy will do. Cost is like a dollar at the hardware store.
  3. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    The hot melt glue for the rods are nothing more than higher temp glues than standard. You can probably find the same product at any craft store for very little. Try not to use the low temp stuff as a hot car can make it gummy and you may loose the tip top. As for epoxy, that's a bit of a debate. I tend to use hot melt glue as it's easier to remove if you need to replace the tip top. It's not such a big deal with standard wire tiptops, but if using ceramics, you may have to replace it if you loose the internal ring.
  4. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks Rob and James, I was hesitant to use epoxy for the tip (it is wire) in case I ever needed to replace it. (Rod is a z axis) so that was the question's origin. I will probably either hot glue it or glue gun it, because with my luck I might have to fix/replace it someday...